Surprise! A bad review. How to deal?

Zahhy

As admin (or super fans) how do you guys deal with bad reviews?

We had a really low review that included some surprising claims regarding Admin and other players. I have good conflict logs from previous admin but this particular review really caught me off guard by saying that we were unfriendly, neglectful and even downright rude.

I've asked my hyper active players and ranked members if they had heard of anything specific. Unfortunately when we switched admin we lost a great deal of active players so there's no way for me to know who felt this way and how to fix it. 

Any advice on how to recover from such a scathing comment on our ranks?

Ignore it if you know you have been innocent of what you have been accused. We dealt with it too, many years ago, on a topsite long time dead. A site gave us a bad review and accused us to have plagiarized their skin (ours being custom made) and their board names (generic things which came with the setting we were sharing - Articles of Agreement, Crew Manifest, etc.) So what? We knew it was not true, so we kept going on. The result? THey are dead for 5+ years, we are still going on...

• Agree 1

Ignore it. 

Which I know is easier said than done. I've been there and done that. And if you really want to address it, you could have a few currently happy members leave a good review to outweigh the bad one. 

But overall, if someone takes that ONE bad review of your site and thinks your site isn't worth joining then you don't want that potential member anyways. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

NksejyY.png

I'm just going to reiterate what's been said by the other two commentators on this thread. 

Your best bet is to move forward as if it wasn't said.

Unfortunately you're never gong to escape people who are drama magnets. They can't resist the urge to tear apart anything and everything when something may have affected them emotionally. In this case it sounds like someone whom may have had a bad experience with the previous setup that you have already fixed with your transfer of admin to the point that none of you even know what happened or when. To be honest I would just ignore it entirely and move on from it. Words on a screen from someone who had a bad opinion of something are just that. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

Be friendly, attentive, and welcoming.  ^^  That's kind of the only thing you could do is to prove them wrong.

Where was this review placed?  Do they time out?  Is there a way other people can post positive reviews of their experiences on your site?  I mean, I wouldn't entirely swamp it out with good reviews because that's tacky and it'll be obvious what you're doing.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I like what @Uaithne said! Do what you can to prove them wrong by being everything they said you're not. Go out of your way a little to show some love to your members. Make them know you appreciate them. Because they're the ones who matter, not that dumb reviewer. For some reason, that reviewer felt miffed about something, left a bad review, and moved on. So you should move on too! Be the best you can be. That's all you can do.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

The problem is some people are just trolls or hold grudges. This kind of stuff is damaging for a role-player who rps independently on social media sites like tumblr, etc, but it shouldn't do a great deal of harm to your forum. Also, if it really did happen when the site was under the management of someone else, you aren't really responsible for what happened. The best thing to do is ignore it as trying to address it in someway brings more negative attention to it than it should, and that's more damaging than what they initially posted.

Continue as you are: Distract yourself by doing some creative stuff for the site with your site's staff if you have any. (I find doing this usually brings back my enthusiasm for the site when a 'problem' arises, or take a little break if you need to and start again once the bad feelings about it have gone.)

• I read this! 1

How long ago was the review? Honestly, everything done under previous administrations I think should just be "wiped" from the care table. The MOST I would recommend doing is adding a response or footnote in sight of the review stating: "as of x/y/20whatever, we are now under new management". Just so that its clear that particular review no longer applies.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg