Ever feel like...

Claire

Ever feel like that girl/guy who is waiting by the phone (keep looking at mobile) waiting for that person to call you? Either you just gave them your number or it's time to arrange the next date? You thought it all went well! They were into you, they asked for YOUR number, and then.... nothing.

Do you call them? Do you text? Does it look too needy/clingy?

:P

Right so I am comparing this to new RP buddies, of course! Ever been on IM, plotted and sorted out this awesome plot and characters and then.... tumbleweeds? If so, wtf do you do? Do you poke them, or do you wanna seem chill and just leave it, or be like "Hey man, I am totes chill here just wanna say poke me when you wanna continue this". I tend to try and reach for chill, but I think I come across as crazy stalker RPer THINGER! :P

• LOL 2

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

I figure that if someone wants to write with me, they will make the effort to follow through. I might send a follow up in a few particular situations like someone who has gone to the effort of taking up a wanted ad, but usually I let RP partners (new and old alike) ghost without a fuss. Chasing after people isn't fun, and I'm here to have fun.

That said, on the other side of the equation, sometimes I forget about things and appreciate a reminder. Lol, that's probably kind of hypocritical of me.

• I read this! 3

I'm kind of going through something like that now. It's someone that I really love posting with who plays this particular character sooo well, but literally the last time I heard from them was just a few days shy of a month. I'm trying to be chill, but it's been a super hard month. I just lost a friend that I met through rp, that loved my game as much as I do, so it's been a pretty frustrating July all around.

It's been the kind of month that you really need your fun hobby to be fun and relaxing and distracting, and not the somewhat chore that being an admin in rpgs can sometimes be, and it just hasn't been. So, it makes it harder to be relaxed about it and let it go, you know? But, typically yeah, I try to just not be as neurotic about it as I usually am about life in general lol.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

muEzlN.jpg

I generally give them a poke. A quick "Did you want to start the thread or should I?" But I know sometimes the muse isn't there. And I'm personally the sort of contrary where, if someone reminds me repeatedly of something I need to do, I'm gonna move it right to the bottom of the list. 

I'm also the sort of shy where I usually let people come to me if they want things with me? So it's not often a problem I have. "Oh, I guess they weren't interested. Sadface;; Oh well."

• I read this! 3

I'll usually wait a bit, then follow up ONCE. Just in case its sheer forgetting instead of disinterest. Then I take the hint and let the person "ghost" without a fuss.

• I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I tend to split the difference between follow up once, and being annoying. Initially I'll follow up once, and if they don't respond? Done, no matter how excited I was to write with them. If they get back to me saying they want to write, I'll keep pinging them until they tell me we're not doing it or they stop responding.

But seriously? How hard is it to say 'hey, just busy, I'll get back to you when I have time' which will cause me to wait for them for further contact, or 'hey, I'm not feeling it anymore' or 'I realized I don't have time for this' which will cause me to drop it all together.

And if you tell me you'll get back to me in a set time frame, and you don't, repeatedly? I kinda don't feel guilty bugging you about it, because it either means you want to or you're just not being honest and trying to blow me off in the shittiest way possible to spare you the effort.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

This is one of the main things in rp which I have anxiety about - when I first started, I was very open and chatty with people, but because of a bad experience with a couple of people complaining about me trying to talk to them, I gradually stopped. There's a fine balance between someone contacting people too often and being rude about it and people ignoring you and that being equally rude.

Then of course, there was a time when I genuinely couldn't be on the computer because it needed repairing and all I had was a very slow XP computer to post short updates on as it was very difficult to post on it because of it's slowness. I ended up missing pms because I couldn't access them and when I finally got back on the computer which actually works, I had a lot of messages from them assuming I didn't want to rp with them because they'd seen me on and I couldn't respond. That in the end, put me off rping with them.

I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. Some people are just weird in how they treat others, some people only want to roleplay with you until they get noticed by the people they want to rp with and will then drop you. I find the best thing for me is to walk the path that causes the least problems for you and if people don't like it if you remind them (once, or twice, without being rude/confrontational about it) then they probably aren't worth the bother.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am too impatient. I want people to reply right away, and if I force myself to hang back and wait, I end up forgetting about it entirely to the point that I might not check the resource site or email or wherever we we're communicating.

Which is funny because if they message me back, it appears that I'm ignoring them. Welp.

I would really just like it if people were honest. Tell me if you're not going to be able to get back to me soon with an answer. Let me know if you're not interested. Hemming and hawing won't spare my feelings.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

I get like this ALL THE TIME especially if they tell me that they'll reply that day only to not for another week or two. I often am more patient nowadays because I know life gets busy. I've been that person before to make people wait forever and it's not on purpose. Life is just more important and while I do want to role-play, it's not as important as school or work to me.

jak_sig_2sec_by_accenlia-dbcyqh8.gif

Not all things last... Some thrive in the fire while others die
Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

On 7/14/2017 at 1:19 AM, firefly said:

Chasing after people isn't fun, and I'm here to have fun.

This is how I feel about it too. ^^

On 7/14/2017 at 3:23 AM, Lady Isadorabelle said:

I try to just not be as neurotic about it as I usually am about life in general lol.

Aren't we all! lol 

On 7/14/2017 at 5:53 AM, Kittenmitten said:

I know sometimes the muse isn't there.

I would prefer to be told this and won't like go mental at people, but I appreciate it's far easier just to "ghost", ya know?

On 7/18/2017 at 10:52 PM, CovertSphinx said:

Then I take the hint and let the person "ghost" without a fuss.

Stealing "ghosting" for when referring to this in future, haha!

On 7/18/2017 at 11:07 PM, Death Kitten said:

But seriously? How hard is it to say 'hey, just busy, I'll get back to you when I have time'

Yup, this is probably my bugbear since I am very communicative. But I won't pester. Don't have the time to pester! :D

On 7/19/2017 at 1:29 AM, Icewolf said:

Then of course, there was a time when I genuinely couldn't be on the computer because it needed repairing and all I had was a very slow XP computer to post short updates on as it was very difficult to post on it because of it's slowness. I ended up missing pms because I couldn't access them and when I finally got back on the computer which actually works, I had a lot of messages from them assuming I didn't want to rp with them because they'd seen me on and I couldn't respond. That in the end, put me off rping with them.

Yup, have a similar story. Simply did not have access and actually put an update on the forum saying as much and got one person constantly pinging me on IM about my lack of posting. Sometimes I think it's my own fault for being consistent and mostly readily available. It's also the reason I was more cautious about adding folks to IM. I am more relaxed now because I have my phone and can reply to IMs, but still...

On 7/31/2017 at 8:45 PM, Uaithne said:

I would really just like it if people were honest. Tell me if you're not going to be able to get back to me soon with an answer. Let me know if you're not interested.

Again, this is definitely my preference. I am a big girl I can handle it. :P Also, I am not gonna go psycho on you. *rollseyes* It's is kinda annoying that people will assume that about others they don't know, but I also understand it in the RP world.

6 hours ago, Achera said:

Life is just more important and while I do want to role-play, it's not as important as school or work to me.

Yes, this I understand, I've been in the same position. I think it's just really odd when you've been plotting back and forth and then set up the first post and then - ghosted. Also seeing them post elsewhere so you know they have access to the internet it's like, "Well damn, did I say something?" lol I don't dwell anymore, I just make it funny *points at OP* It's good to know I ain't alone. ^^

• I read this! 1

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

2 hours ago, Claire said:

Yes, this I understand, I've been in the same position. I think it's just really odd when you've been plotting back and forth and then set up the first post and then - ghosted. Also seeing them post elsewhere so you know they have access to the internet it's like, "Well damn, did I say something?" lol I don't dwell anymore, I just make it funny *points at OP* It's good to know I ain't alone. ^^

Yeah I completely understand that! I try to let people know if I'm kinda MIA because again, life xD If I see them posting elsewhere, that becomes really discouraging. I try not to do that to people because I know how it feels.

That being said, you have a great attitude towards it! ^^ I loved your OP xD it was really amusing <3

jak_sig_2sec_by_accenlia-dbcyqh8.gif

Not all things last... Some thrive in the fire while others die
Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3