I'm so tired of...

Morrigan

A player messing me around. Time to remove a canon

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

5 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

@wicked Created a Fuck yeah Reaction. <33

omgah I can go to bed happy now xD this is amazing! 🤗

• I read this! 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

18 hours ago, Elena said:

People who have no ideas. Come on, it's your character, how can he not have an objective, something? Why have you made him? Not to write a story involving him?

"Throw any of your characters at him". If I wanted to throw anything, instead of write a story, I would have played fetch with a dog... 

This! OMG this!

If you created the character, you should have some ideas about what you would like to see happen with or to him/her. Don't say, "My characters are free if you want to do something with them." Come to me with, "I'm not in any threads. I'd like to write Woobie in a story with Not Woobie where they both find the magic button, but I'm not sure how to start." From there, I'll happily brainstorm ideas with you and even do the opening scene if you're still stuck!

I am so tired of being expected to do all the plotting for everyone else!

Apologies for the mini-rant. Wanders off to work on catching up with posts!

Blessed Be!

• I read this! 5
  • Fuck Yeah! 2
  • Preach it! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Or if you offer a character to post with someone. 

"No, sorry, my character wouldn't talk to yours."

Um, okay. 

Or.

"No sorry my character is gay."

Your character will come across women in the world. She doesn't want your dick. FFS. 

Or when you give a player plenty of plotting opportunities, threads to get involved in, offers of help, anything and everything to get them started. And they just do nothing. If you're not interested, say so and don't waste my time. I LOVE helping but this sort of thing is frustrating. 

• I read this! 5
  • Preach it! 3

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

@Stormwolfe, I have this overwhelming desire to play Woobie and Not Woobie Discover the Magic Button.

On the topic in general, I always feel like I'm overbearing if I go to someone and say, "Hey, this is my character Bob and I really want to play out *insert idea here*!" Sometimes it just seems, eh, less forward to be like, "Yeah, just give me whatever" even if it's not helpful at all. Maybe it's just me since I tend to be overbearing to begin with.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

@Uaithne I get being hesitant on occasion, especially with new people and everything. I was actually referring to that RPer that wants to leave the other person to do all the work all the time. Even when I say, "Okay, how about we write this?" Then I'm left to write any and all NPCs, drive the plot, move the characters, and give the other Player something to react to for the entire thread. 

All I'm saying is that it'd be great to be approached with something like I have an idea, can you help flesh it out instead of wanna write something?

Woobie and Not Woobie probably won't ever find the magic button. They are so sad!

• I read this! 3

RPG-Initiative

I'm tired of:

- People defining my skills as roleplayer by how many words I use in a reply;

- Fancy graphics with unreadable fonts and heavy images;

- Urban fantasy boards with 1641561452 playable races and freaking little to none lore of how they interact.

• I read this! 3
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

mwBMe5.png

17 hours ago, Stormwolfe said:

Woobie and Not Woobie probably won't ever find the magic button. They are so sad!

T_T But Woobie, Not Woobie, and the Magic Button are my OTP OTT (one true triad?)

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

The whole 'my character flirts, but I don't want drama' and then acting like a victim when they are rejected, get told off by the other writer, etc scenario gets tiresome. If your character goes up to a character played by someone you don't know, and just starts flirting with them it makes the other person uncomfortable, right? It's done without consent or warning so the reaction of the other writer is NOT what you want.

I'd be fine with it, if I knew the writer, that they get to know me (and my character) first, but they don't make the effort to do that so it's done out of the blue. When it's done like that, it puts you off balance, it's pushy and it doesn't matter if the intent of their character is to just be friends with yours. It's not how you start a friendship in real life (if anything, you'll think the person is a creep if it's a bloke, or a whore if it's a woman doing it.) so it's not going to be any different in rp. When you react badly to it, though, you're the one they call a bully and it's your fault not theirs. I just wish people had the sense not to do it.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 5

9 hours ago, Icewolf said:

The whole 'my character flirts, but I don't want drama' and then acting like a victim when they are rejected, get told off by the other writer, etc scenario gets tiresome. If your character goes up to a character played by someone you don't know, and just starts flirting with them it makes the other person uncomfortable, right? It's done without consent or warning so the reaction of the other writer is NOT what you want.

To add to this: When the player in question gets all butt hurt because your character didn't fall at the feet of theirs in worship within the first post (two if they were feeling generous). Or you didn't at least write how magnificent your character thought they were or how beautiful, handsome etc. etc. (wipes expected drool off the screen). Even when they went to all the trouble of writing how the other gender that they are interested in would normally react to them (just to give you a couple of stage directions in case you didn't get it.) It's even more annoying when your character is clearly described as a bit of a 'player' (womaniser in this case) and said writer gets pooey pants when their gal doesn't change him straight away. "You went in with your eyes open... oh hang on... you didn't read his app, did you?"

• I read this! 3

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

43 minutes ago, Dusty said:

To add to this: When the player in question gets all butt hurt because your character didn't fall at the feet of theirs in worship within the first post (two if they were feeling generous). Or you didn't at least write how magnificent your character thought they were or how beautiful, handsome etc. etc. (wipes expected drool off the screen). Even when they went to all the trouble of writing how the other gender that they are interested in would normally react to them (just to give you a couple of stage directions in case you didn't get it.) It's even more annoying when your character is clearly described as a bit of a 'player' (womaniser in this case) and said writer gets pooey pants when their gal doesn't change him straight away. "You went in with your eyes open... oh hang on... you didn't read his app, did you?"

Well, I was trying to quote both @Dusty and @Icewolf  LOL!

And those that make a huge point in their bio regarding how handsome or beautiful their character is! Especially on sites that use avatars! Leave it to the other players to determine if their character finds yours beautiful or handsome! Put up the face and describe other aspects of their appearance like how they dress, move, etc. After all, just because I think my guy or gal is the absolute bomb, doesn't mean everyone else does! The exception are characters that are meant to be stuck on themselves and used to getting by on their looks. 

So, yeah - I'm so tired of being expected to write about how wow'd my guy or gal is by Mickey or Minnie.

And I totally agree on the being instantly enraptured with Character X or Character Y thing! 

The fun is in the unfolding of the story and the various relationships! Yes, I do think some behind-the-scenes coordination needs to be done to make sure everyone is on the same writing page, but let the rest unfold organically during the writing! There needs to be some obstacles and challenges, not one meeting, instant love and off to the altar!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

RPG-Initiative

• Admin

I'm actually going to simply disagree with the above 3 @Icewolf @Dusty @Stormwolfe

In real life, depending on the situation and person flirting is a very common way to get someone's attention even for friendship. Some of my best IRL friendships have started based off of this. Just because you may be personally not okay with it, it's actually a natural state of being for overt characters. Flirting, in normal society is seen as charismatic and while I understand that most people don't know that there are levels of flirting (from sexy flirting to casual flirting to friendly flirting) it doesn't actually mean this is the wrong way to approach another person/character (bloke or not).

I think the misunderstanding here is flirting versus "hitting on" there is actually a difference.

For example, one of my top characters is an always on character. She's a non-stop always hits on you sort of character (as long as you are a woman). Yeah to some characters she comes off as a creep (as she is) and to others she comes off as fun and hot because she is aggressive and knows what she wants. That's how characters should react to her.

I have another character that when she thinks someone is cute she'll flirt with them but not overtly hit on them unless it's apparent it's mutual.

So I guess I'm confused as to what you guys are saying if you don't think a character should be who they are intended to be.

I can understand the "my character didn't fall down at their feet woe is me" sentiment but there are actual people that feel dejected when they flirt with someone and are rejected.

Can someone explain this better to me? @VirusZero @Dragon @Death Kitten @Rune

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I honestly think you summed it up nicely @Morrigan. People flirt to develop relationships (romantic, friendly etc) it’s just how human nature works and how you choose to perceive that flirting is all on you or in this case the character.

Edited by jenneral_jennson
  • I read this! 2
  • Thank you 1