Weird shit of Roleplays

Uaithne

Weird Stuff -

Just after setting up my wild west site, I had a person send us a contact form with their email and character concept in it as it requires. No biggie. The character concept would have been great. The form was well written, articulate, no text speak.

I responded via email - thanked them for their interest, informed them of the next steps, etc. All good so far, right?

They only used Facebook Messenger. Didn't care for that, but added them to my OOC FB account so we could talk about their character and I could help them get started at our site (a Nova site at the time).

It went weird! This unknown will be designated as Newbie.

Newbie: "I just wish I could figure out how you got my email address."

Me: "Uhhhh....you filled out and submitted our contact form?"

Newbie: "Oh...so how did I find your site?"

Me: "Ummm...uh....via one of the ads we submitted to Yahoo Groups?" (Never advertising there again)

2nd Conversation

Newbie: "I'm gay so guess you'll ban me now."

Me: "No, I don't care about your personal real life. You just need to keep the era's views in mind when creating a character."

Newbie: "I never play gay characters."

Me: "Ok."

Next conversation involved how much our guy characters were gonna love her gal character. No judgement here, but Newbie also claimed to be older than I am. I am a youthful 60, Newbie stated she was 65. Her conversations read like someone nowhere near that age range. Newbie also inundated me with real life details that actually made me uncomfortable because I felt she was revealing too much to a total stranger. I tried gently discouraging it by changing the subject to her character or plotting for the RPG to no avail.

Newbie totally disappears for months after creating their account and setting up their bio. Returns months later and throws a fit because their account has been deleted.

I made a note of her email address and IP address and filed it in my "Be Afraid" folder.

There's been more weirdness, but this one stands out because it's so recent.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, Uaithne said:

Speaking of weird shit, did someone edit my topic title to replace the asterisks I originally had with the word "shit"?

I thought about it, but my Black Hat Ninja Hacker Self has left the building!

One more! People that want to app my characters' children. This is not saying I don't want kids in RPs. All three of mine are character family inclusive. However, the children are not intended to be regularly played characters. This person did not want to play any other characters' children, but they got pretty nasty/hostile when I said no.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a player who tries to fit conflicting concepts onto individual characters.

Can shape shift through non-magical means, and has cybernetic parts (how do the cybernetics shape-shift?) and was in the army and carries a big gun, and is only a teenager, and can firebend and on and on.

then when i think they've settled on what they want, and they have a bio up, they start making a new character instead. Often with more than a few of the same concepts as the previous one.

I keep waiting to see if they'll actually participate icly with any of these characters.

• I read this! 3

16 minutes ago, Kazetatsu said:

I've seen a player who tries to fit conflicting concepts onto individual characters.

Can shape shift through non-magical means, and has cybernetic parts (how do the cybernetics shape-shift?) and was in the army and carries a big gun, and is only a teenager, and can firebend and on and on.

Oh yeah, these things. I know a great deal of RP site are based on things quite impossible in real life to begin with, but most folks try to create some sort of pseudo-scientific or pseudo-mythological coherence, like their version of basic laws to the game universe.

It feels odd when coming across players deciding even this basic lore/science is not worth obeying. They make super experienced killers with the best murder score despite being only 16 years old, and make them both rebellious yet trusted by everyone without having actual leadership experience in their background. And they read mind on sites where the power is not available, or have spiritual connections to things allowing them new powers in an universe where spirituality has no tangible effect in game... and so on.

(Not targeting anybody, it's just all sort of examples merged together)

• I read this! 1
oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

• 1 month later...
Guest Parasite Eve

I thankfully did not engage in a roleplay with this person but on a site someone had a request thread based solely on the sexual domination of the transformers by humans. Definitely one of the strangest things I have seen, I guess people have their likes....

some furry roleplays---yikes!

• Agree 1

On 1/18/2018 at 7:31 AM, Stormwolfe said:

Weird Stuff -

Just after setting up my wild west site, I had a person send us a contact form with their email and character concept in it as it requires. No biggie. The character concept would have been great. The form was well written, articulate, no text speak.

I responded via email - thanked them for their interest, informed them of the next steps, etc. All good so far, right?

They only used Facebook Messenger. Didn't care for that, but added them to my OOC FB account so we could talk about their character and I could help them get started at our site (a Nova site at the time).

It went weird! This unknown will be designated as Newbie.

OMG. And this is all the same person? Because It seems like each time you were dealing with a different personality each time. xD The ones who initially act normal are worse then the ones who advertise their cuckoo out of the gate.

My story involves an admin. I'll try to condense this because it's weirdness that occurred over a span of several years. I also don't know will quite fit here because he hit his stride (as it were) on a non-RP site, but here goes.  I stumbled across his Disney RP in 2009 maybe? I liked the look of the place and the admin, who I will call Walt, was very friendly and willing to thread with me and other newcomers, something I hadn't experienced with most other admins, who were only nice up until a point ("Okay, so you're a member now. I'll completely ignore you from here on out and act like you're bothering me if you dare to ask me a question").

I ended up posted a link to the writing forum I was on, and he followed me over there. Turns out ol' Walt is both nuts and a douchebag. In normal moments he was fun to be around, but at others... ugh. And it was like he grew crazier and crazier over the years.

Walt has poor impulse control, and will remember every little thing you've ever said that hurt his feelings, regardless of whether or not it was really intended to be a slight. For example, one time I told him that I'm not a big Donald Duck fan but loved his portrayal of the character. He seemed pleased by the compliment, but years later when we were having a disagreement over another RP site we'd both joined, he brings up that comment and accuses me of hating Donald Duck or something.

Basically if you have any sort of opinion he dislikes he gets angry. I think he lets his identity gets too wrapped up  with the characters, games, cartoons, and other stuff he likes. Any criticism of it is an attack against him. He would get into fights with his own members over their leaving the forum, among other things.

He's got a real bad habit of getting clingy with people he likes. I mean like literally falling in love with them, which is what happened with a few other RPers from his forum. If they didn't reciprocate his feelings (and they never did AFAIK), then he would become upset. That's his M.O. -- get mad at someone for a stupid reason, then come back apologizing later as well as playing the victim and using emotional manipulation to win sympathy. Someone pointed out to me this post he made where he talked about how upset he was at this woman he used to know in elementary school because she came back to town and didn't call him. So he calls her and leaves a message telling her how much she hurt him, but "respected her to the level that not once, not ONCE did I ever cuss in that message. I couldn't cuss to her." Am I the only one who finds that creepy, a 30-year old man carrying on like this over a friend from grade school?

He would make a lot of weird sexual jokes and comments, though this was mostly at the writing forum later on. I hesitate to even call them jokes though, as it was just him blurting out stuff like "I'm so turned on" or "That's so sexily hot". Apparently he did itend them to be funny though.  And once we were sharing our furry horror stories (the writing forum), and he comes in with "Oh no, I agree that people shouldn't advertise their turn-ons in public." Then proceeds to go into extensive detail about the furry fetishes of people he knows and the art they sent him. Even the characters' facial expressions. Just... huh??

Oh, and once I opened a PM from him at the Disney forum only to find a R-rated picture of two Darkwing Duck characters. He said that he and another friend of his like to look for bizarre rule 34 and would show it to each other in an attempt to get a laugh/scare the other person. I told him please not to ever do that to me again. Thankfully he never has.

Walt's self-absorbed and arrogant. Anytime he comments on something he relates it back to himself or his characters/stories, or makes an unfunny joke. Everything seems to be done with the goal of diverting attention to himself.  He would also do stuff like offer to help people or join RPs, but then never would, or acknowledge other peoples' posts like, "Haha, that's nice, now here's my important thing!" He basically ends conversations with his commentary, so you can't really have discussions. Or he gets creepy or brings stuff up in ways that's like "I don't know what to do with this."

He wants to control what characters I RP as. One time the Disney forum was going to do its own version of "Mickey's Christmas Carol" and I wanted to use a different character in Scrooge's place. Walt PMs me and strongly hints that he would prefer I use Scrooge McDuck like in the film. I acquiesced and said I would change characters, even though I didn't really want to -- peer pressure, I guess. But his request didn't make any sense to me -- other players were using characters that weren't in the original Christmas Carol for the thread, so I thought my doing so was okay. I guess he assumed I would want to use the actual Scrooge. The thread never happened for assorted reasons, but I'm glad it didn't.

I actually did play Scrooge as well as another particular character at his forum before I eventually left due to no longer feeling comfortable there. Well, he fixates on that hard. How great I am as those two characters. How he loved our threads together. How he's going to write them into his Disney fanfic and so on. I like those characters too, but guess what? I don't want to play them anymore or talk about them all the time. There are other characters I like even more.  His Disney  forum went defunct years ago, but he still RPs with other people via email. I make an offer to play with him, because hey, you think I'm such hot stuff, and we did have fun before when we did. I  tell him upfront that I'd play the characters I wanted to. No response from him. So I guess I'm only worth threading with when I'm doing exactly what Walt wants me to.

I thank God for this one friend of mine's who came along and pointed out how toxic Walt is. It was like me and the other writing forum members woke up from a long, bad dream and realized she was right. The other staffers and I cracked down on all his gross innuendo, and he decided he didn't like that and flounced, but not before leaving this pretty guilt-trippy message. He was searching for a "Oh no, you're not a bad guy honey!" type of response, but didn't get it. Then a little bit later he pops up in the chat in spite of earlier stating that he'd leave for good because he was "bringing down the site!" I was very relieved that people just ignored him. 

Since then Walt's talked to me a few times since (though even before he would always email me because I never knew how to approach him and outside of RP we have nothing in common), but i've been distancing myself from him and not engaging him. I'm just waiting for another blow-up or bit of weirdness on his part so I can go, "Okay, you need to go, I don't want to deal with your issues anymore."

I am really hoping he doesn't show up at my current RP site like a turd in a punch bowl.

Edited by Sketchy Unicorn

3 hours ago, Sketchy Unicorn said:

OMG. And this is all the same person? Because It seems like each time you were dealing with a different personality each time. xD The ones who initially act normal are worse then the ones who advertise their cuckoo out of the gate.

All the same person. I thought that since she claimed to be even older than I was (I'm 60) that perhaps she was not conversant with computers and being online. Yet she claimed to use a computer for work and to have RP'd for many years online.

I do hope she found a place to settle in. I try to be patient, however, I'm at an age now that I really want to RP to relax, create, and hang with friends - new and old - sans any sort of drama. Her sort of drama seemed harmless, but it would have gotten wearing over time.

3 hours ago, Sketchy Unicorn said:

Basically if you have any sort of opinion he dislikes he gets angry. I think he lets his identity gets too wrapped up  with the characters, games, cartoons, and other stuff he likes. Any criticism of it is an attack against him. He would get into fights with his own members over their leaving the forum, among other things.

Many long years ago in a galaxy far far away, I had a player like this. It was one of my many iterations of either an X-Men or Stargate game. This person would actually go very nuts on us if our characters did not worship his characters in the manner he thought they should. It did end up that we had to remove him from the game.

Your patience with "Walt" far exceeds mine. To me, he sounds as if he could have gone scary stalker creepy!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Guest Parasite Eve
On 4/3/2018 at 12:29 PM, Sketchy Unicorn said:

My story involves an admin. I'll try to condense this because it's weirdness that occurred over a span of several years. I also don't know will quite fit here because he hit his stride (as it were) on a non-RP site, but here goes.  I stumbled across his Disney RP in 2009 maybe? I liked the look of the place and the admin, who I will call Walt, was very friendly and willing to thread with me and other newcomers, something I hadn't experienced with most other admins, who were only nice up until a point ("Okay, so you're a member now. I'll completely ignore you from here on out and act like you're bothering me if you dare to ask me a question").

I ended up posted a link to the writing forum I was on, and he followed me over there. Turns out ol' Walt is both nuts and a douchebag. In normal moments he was fun to be around, but at others... ugh. And it was like he grew crazier and crazier over the years.

Walt has poor impulse control, and will remember every little thing you've ever said that hurt his feelings, regardless of whether or not it was really intended to be a slight. For example, one time I told him that I'm not a big Donald Duck fan but loved his portrayal of the character. He seemed pleased by the compliment, but years later when we were having a disagreement over another RP site we'd both joined, he brings up that comment and accuses me of hating Donald Duck or something.

He's got a real bad habit of getting clingy with people he likes. I mean like literally falling in love with them, which is what happened with a few other RPers from his forum. If they didn't reciprocate his feelings (and they never did AFAIK), then he would become upset. That's his M.O. -- get mad at someone for a stupid reason, then come back apologizing later as well as playing the victim and using emotional manipulation to win sympathy. Someone pointed out to me this post he made where he talked about how upset he was at this woman he used to knew in school because she came back to town and didn't call him. So he calls her and leaves a message telling her how much she hurt him, but "respected her to the level that not once, not ONCE did I ever cuss in that message. I couldn't cuss to her." Am I the only one who finds that creepy, a 30-year old man carrying on like this over a friend from grade school?

He would make a lot of weird sexual jokes and comments, though this was mostly at the writing forum later on. I hesitate to even call them jokes though, as it was just him blurting out stuff like "I'm so turned on" or "That's so sexily hot". Apparently he did it end them to be found funny though.  And once we were sharing our furry horror stories (the writing forum).  He comes in with "Oh no, I agree that people shouldn't advertise their turn-ons in public." Then proceeds to go into extensive detail about the furry fetishes of people he knows and the art they sent him. Even the characters' facial expressions. Just... huh??

Oh, and I opened a PM from him at the Disney forum only to find a R-rated picture of two Darkwing Duck characters. He said that he and another friend of his like to look for bizarre rule 34 and would show it to each other in an attempt to get a laugh/scare the other person. I told him please not to ever do that to me again. Thankfully he never has.

Walt's self-absorbed and arrogant. Anytime he comments on something he relates it back to himself or his characters/stories, or makes an unfunny joke. Everything seems to be done with the goal of diverting attention to himself.  He would also do stuff like offer to help people or join RPs, but then never does, or acknowledges other peoples' posts like, "Haha, that's nice, now here's my important thing!" He basically ends conversations with his commentary, so you can't really have discussions. Or he gets creepy about it or brings it up in ways that's like "I don't know what to do with this."

He wants to control what characters I RP as. One time the Disney forum were going to do our own version of "Mickey's Christmas Carol" and I wanted to use a different character in Scrooge's place. Walt PMs me and strongly hints that he would prefer I use Scrooge McDuck like in the film. I acquiesced and said I would change characters, even though I didn't really want to -- peer pressure, I guess. But his request didn't make any sense to me -- other players were using characters that weren't in the original Christmas Carol for the thread, so I thought my doing so was okay. I guess he assumed I would want to use the actual Scrooge. The thread never happened for assorted reasons, but I'm glad it didn't.

I actually did play Scrooge as well as another particular character at his forum before leaving after some time. Well, he fixates on that hard. How great I am as those two characters. How he loved our threads together. How he's going to write them into his Disney fanfic. And so on. I like those characters too, but guess what? I don't want to play them or talk about them all the time. There are other characters I like even more.  The Disney  forum went defunct years ago, but he still RPs with other people via email. I make an offer to play with him, because hey, you think I'm such hot stuff and we have had fun before when we did. I  tell him upfront that I'd play the characters I wanted to. No response from him. So I guess I'm only worth threading with when I'm doing exactly what Walt wants me to.

I thank God for this one friend of mine's who came along and pointed out how toxic Walt is. It was like me and the other writing forum members woke up from a long, bad dream and realized she was right. The other staffers and I cracked down on all his gross  innuendo, and he decided he didn't like that and flounced, but not before leaving this pretty guilt-trippy message. He was searching for a "Oh no, you're not a bad guy honey" type of response, but didn't get it. Then a little bit later he pops up in the chat in spite of earlier stating that he'd leave for good because he was "bringing down the site!" I was very relieved that people just ignored him. 

Since then Walt's talked to me a few times since (though even before he would always email me because I never knew how to approach him and outside of RP we have nothing in common), but i've been distancing from him and not engaging him. I'm just waiting for another blow-up or bit of weirdness on his part so I can go, "Okay, you need to go, I don't want to deal with your issues anymore."

I am really hoping he doesn't show up at my current RP site like a turd in a punch bowl.

Yikes!!! I think I would rather listen to Nyan Cat on repeat every day than deal with Walt. 

We got MORE THAN ONE person (maybe the same person?) who tried to join as an actual person. Like their character was an actual, real celebrity person that they wanted to RP. Um... no thanks. We don't do that. 

• Agree 1
  • LOL 2

Reality is an illusion. 

1 hour ago, Zozma said:

We got MORE THAN ONE person (maybe the same person?) who tried to join as an actual person. Like their character was an actual, real celebrity person that they wanted to RP. Um... no thanks. We don't do that. 

Bonus points if it was the same celebrity 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, Stormwolfe said:

All the same person. I thought that since she claimed to be even older than I was (I'm 60) that perhaps she was not conversant with computers and being online. Yet she claimed to use a computer for work and to have RP'd for many years online.

I do hope she found a place to settle in. I try to be patient, however, I'm at an age now that I really want to RP to relax, create, and hang with friends - new and old - sans any sort of drama. Her sort of drama seemed harmless, but it would have gotten wearing over time.

Many long years ago in a galaxy far far away, I had a player like this. It was one of my many iterations of either an X-Men or Stargate game. This person would actually go very nuts on us if our characters did not worship his characters in the manner he thought they should. It did end up that we had to remove him from the game.

Your patience with "Walt" far exceeds mine. To me, he sounds as if he could have gone scary stalker creepy!

I suspect this was a much younger person then what they said they were. It sounds like dealing with her would've gotten real old real fast. I'm like you -- I'm at the point now where I try to work with people, but my primary focus is on having fun online. The Internet is meant as escapism from real life. I don't want to deal with never-ending drama here too.

Yeah, Walt definitely gives off stalker vibes now that I look back at his behavior. At this point I don't put anything past anyone on the web. He's very good at playing people and making you second-guess yourself.

@Parasite Eve  Right?

15 hours ago, Zozma said:

That'd be kinda amazing in a hilarious way if it wasn't so out there.

I always enjoy the odd occasion where a player will app for a canon character from a completely different genre. And think that they can like, squeeze them in with "minor" tweaks or something. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

One time, one of my RP partners was really keen on flowering up her posts by adding a lot of detail be it sight, scent, touch, smell, and so on. She had my character's sister admire his sweaty muscles for a few posts, just... casually checking him out. It was like "...this is uncomfortable. I can feel my character's discomfort from a mile away." LOL

Another time, I had briefly joined a site and there was a door character. Someone actually played a door. That's better than playing a tree in a play. xD Even though enchanted, I don't think a door is something I could play (so kudos to that person).

Anddd lastly, a few years ago, I had joined a super powers site (a few of them, actually, but there was a time where sites were shutting down like crazy) that had all sorts of powers that I had never seen at any other super powers site. It was pretty cool, actually. My favourite type of "super power" is negation, so I wanted to play a negation super power type deal that negated other super powers in a certain distance from my person. Never had a problem with that at any super power site I played at, but one site I joined uhm... The admins actually got mad about my character. xD Even after they accepted it (I didn't have any threads, I couldn't get any threads), they were like "why even play someone who negates other powers? You know you could just play a regular human if you don't want an actual power." My thoughts (even now) is that... negation is a power. XD I mean, they could say I'M the weird one for wanting a negation power. It could definitely go both ways. I think it was just an odd transaction, especially with the types of powers they did allow and did like, et cetera.

• Agree 2

Had a guy who created like twenty accounts between five supposedly different members.

The first three were alright, because they explained it as all being flatmates. I ignored the fact their writing styles were identical, never more than one online at the same time, etc.

But then fourth and fifth alter-ego came along, introducing themselves from completely different countries - but with the same IP as the first three.

This one player had taken 3 canons and had over 20 different characters before it all ended. xD!

• LOL 3

• 2 months later...

Oddest might be the character who had various abilities despite specifications in lore--that we linked them to and explained and they kept discussing the character anyway. Right behind that would be Justin Beiber...I make no exaggeration, from the faceclaim the lifestyle to the birthday, for a time we had Justin Beiber despite trying to explain why they couldn't do that. Why he was in a small Vermont town I guess we'll never know

• LOL 1

luxaf.png