Ignoring site lore in thread?

Anonymous

Not sure how to-uh-explain this without... going into specifics? I will try to make parallels as best as I can so I'm saying real specifics.

We have... a couple members who are threading together and... are disregarding 99% of the site lore in threads, but have looked enough to know the locations in our site. So, hm... Let's say we're a mafia RPG. A certain area has a lot of attractions that were once pedestrian but are now headquarters of the mafia. Let's say there's a mall that had been abandoned and taken over by the mafia. As a result, unaffiliated persons would... not be welcomed according to lore. What these players are doing is... writing about their characters going to the mall, having a good time, it's just a happy hunkydory... outing, with elements that shouldn't be there because of the nature of the setting. So, like, they're going to different "functioning" stores, basically...

I'm not really sure how to approach this. I'm almost inclined to leave them be because they're not threading or talking to one else, and it would feel awful for one's threads to basically... not count? On the other hand, there's also the fact that guests can see and read these inaccurate threads and get the wrong idea.

How... should I approach this, especially when they're mid-thread?

"*NOT saying specifics." My RPG isn't like this it's just the best parallel I could come up with

Anonymous poster hash: 2ff39...d61

• Admin

I'd say approach them as if you're confused.

"Hey,

It's come to our attention that you've been threading in the mall as if it's a safe zone where it's not. This place is controlled by the mafia and therefore not safe for general threads. I understand the confusion however this thread (LINKTOTHREAD) is invalid. I apologize about the confusion, is there something I can do to help clear up the setting for you?"

Then put their shit in some OOC archive. While it isn't detrimental to other players its a general ignorance of the site. There are panfandoms, emails, gdocs, and places like here at the initiative that they can fuck around and do what they want.

• Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Thank you,

You have a really good point and mind of steel. I really am confused honestly. Never come across this. I'll go about that way.

Anonymous poster hash: 2ff39...d61

Similar to @Morrigan. Though perhaps I'd approach it more from a standpoint in which I'd initially try to see what is causing the confusion just in case there is a legitimate reason they think the mall is a fully functional area. (Ex: maybe you updated the site information but didn't update the forum description, or maybe they're doing a thread that takes place in the past and didn't realize it's not something others do.) Then, if possible, I'd see if I could move the thread to a different location where their plot would be valid, such as a different, non-mall shopping center. They may have to edit a few things in their thread but it's better than throwing it all away if possible.

That said, since they're not sticking to site lore, if you feel that my route is too much work, you are within your right to take a more direct approach, like Morr's. Don't feel like you have to bend over backwards to accommodate their inability to follow site lore.

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

WoL___dark01.png

Yeah it's not cool to have people disregard the lore - it causes confusion for everyone, whether they're actively involved in that thread or not. Just approach them without being accusatory. You don't know if it's an honest mistake yet or not, and I'm of the mind that they're innocent until proven guilty. I like what's already been said, approach them with a mind of "what can I do to avoid this kind of thing in the future? How can I make the lore more clear?" That way you seem like you're looking for feedback more than pointing fingers and placing blame. 

Worst case scenario, at least the way I see it, you have to move this thread to an AU or past forum. If it's their first offense, it's no big deal. But if they continue to do this, that's a serious problem and they should probably find another place to rp where they can do things the way they want.

• Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon