Which is worse?

Shieb

I'd say type two is not only more annoying, but more of a bad news as well. Type two is using more subtlety, and hides much more behind the rules as type 1.

Type 1 can be intervened against if their play doesn't fit the spirit of the board even if there was an open rule to exploit, and the other player being attacked can more easily negotiate with admins or others a way out of the problem so to close the thread early, or have the type 1 cease their attack.

Type 2 will play Devil's advocate for themselves, and manipulate your own rules against yourself, and keep the attack within the limits so to poke at them and the admin's authority without officially crossing it. It's almost saying Type 2 is smarter than Type 1, and so harder to handle without having to spend either a while arguing, or having to resort to less objective reasons to intervene or ban them. After which they can easily contest and make up reasons for the consequences against them (things like: "My character was too good for this place" or: "Just because they didn't like me OOC they unfairly banned me")

Plus, in my opinion, looking at the problem on longer terms, many people can go through being a type 1, maybe in the early days of their own rp career. Hell, I was between 6 and 10 y-o, playing with a friend at being OC Pokemons we drew on paper and all, and I had created a type I was making OP until my friends complained about it and I had to nerf it. Losing is not fun, and fights can be interesting, so one can get it. But there is more to rp than winning. With luck, if type1 is only beginning their career, and they'll end up learning or striving for more than a perfect OP character.

Type 2 however, if they use manipulation and passive-aggressiveness, it seems to me like a much deeper problem than something experience can better. There is some attitude behind that which could be harder for the player to work on if they do work on it at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1
oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

• 2 months later...

2 is definitely the worst. 1 you can easily just kick and ban but with 2 as long as they follow the rules it's a lot harder to deal with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blitzy said:

2 is definitely the worst. 1 you can easily just kick and ban but with 2 as long as they follow the rules it's a lot harder to deal with.

I agree - as long as you let type 2 manipulate your rules. The longer I RP, the more I find the spirit of your site is more important than the rules you wrote to support it.

Reading through this thread, I'm finding that the more experienced an admin, the easier it is to deal with type 2, because you've learned you don't have time for that kind of petty manipulation. Both types can be taken care of with a 'you are violating the law of mutual fun'. Personally, though, I have a harder time with passive-aggressive people because of that manipulation. Engaging with that sort of personality (if they're committed) is just... exhausting. I don't want to debate the rules of my own site; just play nice!

• Like 2

I find them both equally annoying/stressful, just in different ways.  Either way, I've found that once I start laying down the Adminhammer of Boundaries, both types usually scuttle off on their own.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

As a Member, I would find the first one easier to deal with. If they come in all big and bad and willing to throw down damage, just be more creative with your writing. I find that the people who don't obey the rules and just fling their weight around do it because they don't have the creativity to make their character "powerful" or "significant" in any other way. So, just have your character be craftier than them to win the fight - I've never found that to be particularly hard 😉 It has also never come back to bite me on the butt except for one time, where they whined to a mod that I was being too "power-playing" but making my character better than them in the fight, and the Mod ended up siding with me and saying that they came on too strong anyway and "alls fair" - kinda like "if you can't handle the heat, don't pick the fight" kinda thing (which I personally found tres amusing).

The second one is harder to deal with as a member but I would basically just insist on fair's fair ruling. If I'm allowing them to injure my character, they have to be willing to do the same. And refuse to give in on it. I don't think a staffer could chastise you for that.

As a staff member if people are breaking the rules it's a simple decision and it's not hard to deal with. Which means I just put the fairs fair rule in my rules. Done. You then have a leg to stand on with either of these types of rper.

• Agree 1

2 is harder to deal with, because it's usually more self aware and intractible

E5zAKhe.gif