Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deep Sea

Membership Are you a desktop or mobile RPer?

Desktop or mobile RPer?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Desktop or mobile RPer?

• Desktop only
    • Mobile only
    • I post from both kinds of devices

I know the discussion is a bit on the older side, but something came to mind...what about the folks that use the cross-platform "note saving" apps like Evernote or even Google's dropbox for example? People could write on their phones and post those written works via their computer when they get home or vice versa. This alone shows that there are many reasons why a roleplayer would use both devices without feeling "restricted" by one or the other.

As an example, I move around nigh constantly. I have jobs and social connections that keep me on the move, and I am almost always writing from a new device each year because moving means things can unfortunately break from rough travel, or they can get lost, or a myriad of other unpredictable things. So long as you have a way to write and a way to save it and post it from whatever device you might prefer - I don't think that makes you less of a writer or unable to particpate on the aforementioned "advanced" role-playing forums.

Heck, some of the most famous authors write their idea's down on napkins, toilet paper, or other random things.

Given that light, I doubt using a phone is the worst a role-player can do. 😛

Edited by Hysteria
  • LOL 1

I pretty much post from my desktop or laptop exclusively as I get hand cramps from using my phone to type on it for long periods of time. Not saying I have not dabbled a bit but I do prefer my keyboards over the small on screen keyboard on my phone!

Always both. I prefer one or the other based on mood. If i really just want to post and relax on the couch then I will break out my wireless keyboard and sit down with my phone and keyboard and post. If i have more to do or am just in the mood for a larger display, then i sit at my desktop.  -shrug-

Most of the time I write on a desktop computer but if I'm really excited about a story or I like the writer a lot I will go through the agony of typing something out on my phone. However, I haven't liked anyone that much in several years.

I prefer my Desktop for IC posting. I've written on my phone before out of necessity but I found it uncomfortable and rife with typos (which bother me but eh, it happens right?)

I will do admin posting, staff discussion, and ooc dicussion through mobile though, and I browse my forums like crazy when I'm out of the house.

As an RPer, I generally only post roleplays from my laptop or chromebook, because I need a full keyboard. But I definitely need to be able to get on with my mobile devices to quickly respond to PMs or answer questions, so a mobile responsive design is important to me. Luckily, invision has a mobile responsive skin for our site, even though it isn't perfect. Our members are a big mix of desktop and mobile, too, and the mobile community just keeps growing!

If I have ability to post I will post from either desktop or mobile.  Depends on which one I have in easy reach.  Lately I have posted more often than not from my computer.  It's easier than posting from my phone.  I still think mobile friendly sites are a good thing.

I pretty much always write ic posts on my laptop.  I tend to have more lengthy posts, averaging around 500-800 words, so it's just easier to type on a keyboard.  Writing that many words on my phone often causes my fingers to start cramping up, not to mention all the typos that come from fat-fingering keys alone.  So it's just easier to post on my laptop.  I remember when my laptop broke for like six months 3 years ago, and my phone was the only way to post unless I went to the library.  I felt so self-conscious and insecure and ended up dragging up plots because I posted a lot more slowly than usual.  I didn't enjoy it at all, and I'm thankful every day that I still have a working laptop now. 

I do lurk on my phone a lot.  If I'm busy then I'll check the site and discord pretty constantly, and post something when I have a second to say something.  Even if its just a simple hi in the discord, then I feel content that I'm at least checking in.  If an interesting OOC thread/conversation is happening on site then I'll post on my phone if I'm unable to do so. 

I used to be able to post long-ish replies from my phone when phones had physical keys. But ever since the introduction of touch screen, I haven't  been able to type more than a couple of sentences from my phone comfortably without getting frustrated by typos and speed. I'm hoping actual keys make a comeback for posterity's sake sometime soon >_>

WHY AREN'T YOU TECH HIPSTERS COMING THROUGH??

Until then, I exclusively roleplay from my laptop. I don't even really like to read replies from my phone?? Feels like it takes me out of the 'space' that was created for these characters, if that even makes sense.

Even so, we live in a very mobile world and I feel like my clumsiness with touch screen is in the minority --- it's basically just me starting to fall behind with tech #old. I definitely feel it's important to make your site mobile-friendly. Sucks because not every admin is a tech whiz that can cook up something mobile-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. I wish all forums came out of the box mobile ready.