What genre don't you get?

Rune

I confess I don't really understand the appeal of animal sites BUT no judgement and tbh I'm always curious about what draws people to certain types of RP genres so if anyone wants to share what drew them to animal rp, go for it.

I used to feel that way about real life rp and honestly, if you'd had told me when I first started rping that it would eventually be one of my favourite genre I'd laughed. Classic example of tastes changing? For me, I was having a rough patch and  not feeling up to anything too dark or lore heavy like I used to be into. I was draw to wanting to write lighter storylines and delving into interpersonal relationship development. Which you can do in other genres I know but for me, I found it easier to do in real life games.

• Like 2

Animal roleplays that involve realistic things such as mating. (I don't even like human romance. . . . Animal relationships are even weirder.)

Original games that use anime art so that you end up roleplaying with Sailor Moon but she's not actually Sailor Moon but a completely different character.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

WoL___dark01.png

Real Life is a bit odd to me at times, but I get it... I've done Real Life fandoms and so doing that original doesn't throw me entirely.

Animal RPs throw me quite a bit. I feel like *maybe* if I had a dog and REALLY loved them, I could sort of see them as a character, but I don't have a dog, so... yeah.

Honestly, I don't 'get' panfandoms. Like, I didn't get people who have a problem with their food touching until I was looking at panfandoms like... the world just doesn't matter, you *just* want the character, but the character is/was formed by their world... that throws me off quite a bit.

I actually 'get' A/B/O surprisingly, even though that's not my, uh, kink, I can see why it would be for others.

And a small aside... those Hunger Games RPs where people played kids that got killed in the games... never saw the fun in that.

E5zAKhe.gif

I used to do animal rps when I was really young (like 8 to 10 years old) on a virtual pets site that wasn't neopets. I forget what it was called. It was the genre I started with because I saw people doing it and started to copy them. I didn't realise there were other genres at the time because I didn't really know what roleplay was, lol. There was never anything sexual about it though - that would've been really weird.

Nowadays I could never get back into animal roleplays. I feel like the majority of animal roleplayers are pretty young but again, could be wrong! That's just my experience/impression.

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

On 7/22/2018 at 6:04 AM, Rune said:

Can someone explain personified sites to me? Some of the characters seem... Extreme to out in human form. Do they k ow they are, say, Ursula? Or is it just taking her prominent features and putting them into a human bag?

OKAY so as someone who prefers the personified genre and runs a site in it, I think I have the authority to explain!!

-Do they know they are, say, Ursula?

No. Or, well, okay, I guess it depends on the site, there's a new one out there that has this; but I personally prefer it and see it much more without. How this is treated is either a.) The sources the characters are pulled from are changed to be something new, or b.) the sources they are pulled from are still there and it's just a thing nobody really mentions much or just handwaves as being funny similarities (easier on my site than others, I know.)

-Or is it just taking her prominent features and putting them into a human bag?

I mean, kind of, but not really? So the way personifieds work is you take a character to be your character's 'spirit.' You can keep their backstory more or less the same, take features you want, add in certain new things if that's allowed, etc - you basically leave it so you get a feeling for the character without it being the character, if that makes sense?

Like --- okay, let's use an example! I used to be on a Harry Potter personified site. I had the idea to make Simba from The Lion King. I had that he would be pureblood 'royalty' from a high-class family, and after the death of his father (Mufasa obvs) fled to a muggle town and ended up living with a muggle street couple (Timon and Puumba). When he gets back into the wizarding world, he ends up having to deal with the fact his uncle (Scar) has taken over everything his dad had and is using it for dark magic purposes.

I hope that makes sense??? RIP!

As for genres I don't understand - I'll second (third?) animal-based genres!

• Agree 1

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

RPF (ie real people fic, where you're playing real celebrities! The first that comes to mind is that I've seen people roleplay as large group bands, but I'm sure there are others.) No judgment; I just can't wrap my mind around it.