What're your red flags?

Rune

Message added by Dragon

Please remember that this is a confession thread. 

As such, the intent is for users to express their personal thoughts and feelings about certain behaviors. While not everyone will agree about everything, this is not a space to debate or discuss the opinions shared within. Users who wish to do so are free to create a new thread in the appropriate categories, assuming The Initiative Code of Conduct is adhered to. 

12 hours ago, JordyD said:

The GMs that deny most player ideas because "it's their story". 

Yes, it is. The GM has a world to build, a story to tell, a vision. They have a story planned, and not everything will fit within the setting. And this is OK, this is natural. 

H O W E V E R

When somebody uses this sentence (or a variety) to deny most player ideas, it's telling me the GM isn't a teamplayer and would probably fit better in a 1x1 or even solo setting. They are much more likely looking for a harem while their character hogs all the glory. 

This. If an admin is constantly shoving it in players' faces that they veto everything just because they feel like it, or call themselves a dictator, or tell people to suck it up because they're the one in charge... yikes. Like you said, sometimes it happens naturally, but when it happens almost every time: asshole alert!

Communal character creators; people who ask for input regarding every little detail on their character.

I love suggesting faces, occupations, species, and giving opinions on names, but when the chat is deciding how many siblings someone's upcoming character has and giving advice on possible motivations and personality traits - yeah, that character won't be played for long. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

b3.png.ddd374d50d86896978f146d1af65d1a4.png

This one's likely gonna start a fire. 

Real life face claims. Why? I look at real life face claims and I just wonder how that person would feel, if they knew a punch of people on the internet were effectively using them to play out their fantasies? And while I know that this isn't exactly the norm I also wonder how people would feel with some of the sexual fantasies you know? We are using a persons likeness. Which, by the way, is actually illegal. Regardless if it's for personal or commercial usage. It's an invasion of privacy through the misappropriation of a person's name or likeness... 

It's always been really janky to me, and I get why people do it. It's easy. Super easy. You want a character picture? Just find the actor who would best suit your needs, and then collect from the tonne of pictures and the like to build up a nice reference portfolio. Then you can make cool photoshopped pictures, and so on and so forth. There is also this stigma against people who use "Generic Anime Pictures" but honestly I would much rather a generic anime picture than a real person. 

I tend to run away from sites that have real life face claims, and at the very minimum do everything in my power to avoid using one. This is why I think if sites runs donations, like, a majority of that money should go to getting people Character art. So players don't need to use face claims or generic anime pictures. They can have a piece of custom art just for their character. You'd also be helping an economy. Sites have the potential for a lot of buying power, which will make a business savvy artist consider giving you a deal on pictures. 

Ask me how I know 😛

~~~~~

People who immediately want to retcon a whole slew of roleplay because they went past the point of no return a while ago, and realized that NO ONE though they were in the right, and actively told them they were going to regret a line of roleplay very much if they kept going with it. Then the boot dropped and they realized their mistake. 

Actually, roleplayers who can't deal with IC consequences that are dolled out, when they have been given ***ample*** opportunity to deviate from the course, and have been told on a number of occasions what they are doing is going to end badly.  Like, I hate killing characters, but that's about all I hate doing, and in most roleplays, there are ways you can repay your debt to society without the character being destroyed. It'll just involve a big slice of humble pie. 

• Preach it! 1

The player who has that one character that they play over and over and over everywhere. Unwilling to actually change the character to fit into each new setting but looking for loopholes and means to alter the setting to fit the character. 

Anonymous poster hash: 2f554...542

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Immediate serial shippers who drop characters if they have no romantic prospects. Isn't there more to your character than that?

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

ᴘᴏᴜғᴋɪɴ : frandly and unlikely to bite, feel free to message.

⬊ Wonder Comics ⬋
Qv8rB5C.png tumblr_inline_n1bjtjyyTN1qk1or3.gif 8d47c0ec5675a7cc00587f1ece0e8182-dak46gp.png spacer.png

Normally if somebody agrees to take a plot with me and then... they start writing said character with another character more than with the character I write, I get weary. I've had wanted ads get taken and then those characters end up not being to the wanted ad, like the person agreed. Typically it ends up that the charrie made for the ad goes to somebody else.

spacer.png

A girl so interesting she has blue hair.

Blue hair, is great, don't get me wrong.  It's the classic: "I don't know know how to write an interesting character, so I'm going to try so hard to make her interesting with blue hair, and tattoos, and a history of an accidental murder, and abuse, and have her be gorgeous, but for some reason, no has ever expressed romantic interest in her, and she's innocent and shy, but willing to give every single person her whole life story, and her virginity."

And just like that, they've written the most boring character with blue hair.

• LOL 2
  • Cringe 1

trWJFyW.jpg.ad3989be07828341d22b3ef27aef8cb5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I find it weird when people rp teenage (not necessarily underage, mind you) characters, especially when they put them in potentially risque situations. I dunno... not all people who write younger characters rub me the wrong way, but I still try to steer clear regardless.

Anonymous poster hash: ee70b...600

• Disagree 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

red flags in admins for me include:  1.) when the admin or any member of staff always seem to be super passive aggressive or even always getting upset or irritated over the smallest things.  bonus points if they try to say something like, "i'm not angry, i'm passive aggressive"  and pretend as if being passive aggressive isn't a problem.  i can't speak for other people, but i know that i personally do not want to be around someone who is always being passive aggressive.  

2.) staff who never seem to do anything around the site to help keep it going, and when you ask a question they are quick to complain about how busy they are irl.  i mean i know we all get busy, but if you are unable to maintain and upkeep you site, and consistently not accepting apps within the time frame you openly state in the rules then maybe you just don't have time for and shouldn't be running a site.  

red flags in members, community, and pretty much anything else: 

!.)  gossips.  i don't want to listen to people talk about other people behind their backs.  i don't care if they are from a previous site or not, or if you had a bad experience with them.  i just don't want to hear it.  to me it just lets me know that if you have no problems talking about one person without them knowing, then you might be going around finding any excuse to gossip about me behind my back as well whenever they find even the smallest reason to do so.  if someone has a problem with me, i'd rather they just tell me to my face privately.   then i can try to address things as quickly as possible.  when the staff themselves are gossips, then i have come to realize that the rest of the  members almost always find out.  when staff gossip and shit talk their members behind the scenes almost constantly, it's only a matter of time before people find out about it and leave shortly after. 

2.) people who just can't seem to put the past behind them.  those people who always seem to mention how they have so many bad rp experiences, and then try to use it as a crutch to win sympathy points.  idk it just feels a little attention grabby and almost manipulative to me.  have i had bad experiences?  yeah, not a whole lot but a few.  for every one bad site i've been on, I have been on 3 -5 that are pretty decent and fun to be a part of.  sometimes bad experiences stick in my mind longer, but i try to do what i can to just forgive and forget and move past everything so to better enjoy rping.  

3.)  rpers who talk about needing ships in order to have muse for the chars.  usually they will make a char just for the sake of shipping them with someone else, and if the other person leaves or they get bored then they will drop the char, usually saying something like 'well, i'm dropping char because they lost all their plots," without really making any effort to get anything more than just the ship plots that they had with their partner.  bonus points if they took a wanted, or made a char who has a job that allows them to interact with plenty of others,  but they just don't want to because the char was made for a ship.  

• Preach it! 4

• 4 weeks later...

Plagiarism. Especially when that plagiarizer isn't banned.

On a previous site, I created a plot with another RPer where my character and her company were integral. Then I joined a baby site as a pseudo-site canon, they decided to pursue the plot themselves, and they replicated my character's company, and, to an extent, my character to replace me as an element in a plot that I helped create on a site that I was on first, seemingly to spite me, WHILE being someone who regularly leaves a site as soon as they're placed at a disadvantage. that's why they left the first one. Their character murdered some people while vigilanteeing, encountered a superhero, and then they stopped roleplaying there. The person is still there. I was told that if they had joined they could have claimed I plagiarized them FIRST, which isn't true. They even replicated the private security aspect of my company, and their attempts to create a private army of supersoldiers, as well as my well-researched science-inspired virus stuff. They used all of my contributions, and cut me out. I was LIVID.

Still am livid. Still technically a member.

Also things where people discount my personal experiences for their own beliefs... and not, like, important ones. Like me not being allowed to have an opinion that disagrees with theirs despite being in the affected minority (black, gay, trans, autistic, whatever. I fit a lot of things. Even my transexuality is a minority (non-binary), and I write with my left hand) when it didn't fit their world view. I actually wrote poetry about it. I don't do well with delusional roleplayers haha.

Edited by Bluepillar
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

When people say they wouldn’t join your site because of various reasons like they think you’re going to change those things. You weren’t going to join anyway. 🤷‍♀️ Do you think I care that you don’t like light skins or no apps? 

• Preach it! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

On 7/26/2018 at 12:19 AM, Morrigan said:

The obsessive player. I get excited and I get involved with my plots etc. However there are some players out there that get so obsessed that they go to extremes when things slow down because they need it. It's like RP substitutes their life and so when your life gets in the way it's a greek tragedy.

I was that person, years ago. It was pretty bad, I'd almost classify it as a legitimate addiction. Like every moment was spent thinking about my next posts, reimagining previous plot points, or starting new threads and joining new sites. Finally had to just break away from RP entirely. Like for several years haha. I'm just now stepping back in, and I'm not gonna let myself join any forums, because that's what seemed to spark it last time. Man. It's awful xD it's a red flag for me too, now, for sure. I hope I never turn into that beast again.

• 3 weeks later...

No Cbox. It usually tells me that they’re trying to force me to join their discord before I even know I want to join - makes it super awkward.

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

Basically anyone who comes in saying that they were banned from a previous site or anyone who just comes in and starts talking crap about another site for no reason at all. 

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 1