The recurring problem guest

Anonymous

@Sage @Dragon   I think you're both right, and it really depends on the guest/questions being asked. 

For example, the site I'm on has both walkers and werewolves. They're very different. In the Walker FAQs, there is a section on "Can I be a jaguar?". If someone came into the cbox and asked "hey, I couldn't find anything about it, but can I be a jaguar walker?" Then I'd answer them, give the reasons why, and then link to the faq. It's easy to miss something in a faq at the bottom of a list somewhere.

On the other hand, imagine a guest came into the box and asked "So can my werewolf have a sort of half werewolf form like on teen wolf?" I wouldn't give them the time of day, and would immediately say they fail the "intelligent until proven stupid" rule. We have on multiple pages of the site that we are not a Teen Wolf board, that our wolves work differently, that they can't partially shift, etc. If someone were to ask this question, the only appropriate response would be. "No. Please read the lore and let us know if you have questions after that." Anything more than that would be a waste of time and chatbox space. 

Edited by Bro
  • Agree 3
  • Preach it! 1

I'll agree that the best way to respond is just to reply as patiently as possible and let them peter out. That said, as far as how much customer service applies, if it's one or two questions that could be missed, then yeah, answering is no big deal. On the other hand, if this a guest who is asking a load of questions with a clear intention that's not understanding, dismissing them with links to documents isn't bad. It's one thing to figure out how a site works. It's another to want something so bad you ask questions before you read documents.

Original poster here - thanks for all your replies, guys!

However I think a lot of people are missing the point of the topic. I answer this person politely and just the same as any other guest that comes to my site. It isn't regarding one serial instance of a guest not reading site information and asking questions. This has been on and off for almost three years. Granted, it isn't something that happens all the time and it doesn't last too long, but it can be hard to find the right middle ground between being polite so you don't put other people off, but also wanting this person to just go away because you don't want them on your site. Their questions make everyone feel awkward and kill the chat because they're that wacky. 

I was more curious as to whether or not other sites have experienced similar instances of the same person coming back again and again, and if so, how they handled it. 

Anonymous poster hash: 2c9d7...702

I've had this a bit over the years. Unfortunately I made a 'character restrictions' page to deal with those kinds of 'can I have my own kingdom?' question. All those really red flag type questions, I just address there. That way you have a solid place you can link them to, and it often makes them back down from the idea much more peacefully.

But yeah, if they keep turning up I suppose there's not much to do except redirect them elsewhere, and let them know it's not really the place suited to them.

• Agree 2