Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foxypaws

If you the admin are the only active member, is it weird to RP with yourself?

Weird question! Just wondering about how it might look from the outside. Let's say that activity has died down to nothing. No open threads are being posted in, yet you the admin are always updating and writing new ones. You want people to know that the site is alive, but everyone is reluctant to join the slow site. Would an outsider think it strange if you made a thread and played it out from start to finish with only your own characters in order to keep things looking lively/making character development and things happen?

• I read this! 1

I've done that. when a site is slow I'll just spam opens and hope that sometime one will stick for one of the lurking players or a newcomer. I've also written solo threads, replied to my own opens, and spent months going back and forth with only one other dedicated player. it does help keep the site alive.

I do honestly wonder if it intimidates people sometimes to see me doing that, but one tip is account per character can actually help you here. if you're playing between more than one oc, and people see those accounts as separate usernames/profiles you'll at least have the appearance of not rping all alone even if you are.

the only advice I have with that is that its good to pace yourself. Rping by yourself or with only the same small group can cause a little bit of muse burn out one in a while as the pace/story and aesthetic of the writing can start to feel old. Its a good idea to try to mix things up once in a while, whether by chilling at a different rp, trying something different, or taking a little time off once in a while in order to keep the muse fresh.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My Characters can be Found on Toyhouse
unimpressed_by_kazetatsu_dcy956v-250t.pn

Currently seeing relaxed discord-based rps

I am writing threads among my characters and also my characters' journals, no matter if the site is slow or not. There are simply parts of the story which need more of my characters interacting, or parts which can be told only in the journals.

It's several characters interacting. It's story writing. So nothing weird. The only thing which would be harmful would be if I prioritized the threads written alone higher than the threads written with the others. No, the others have priority, but when I have time for writing more, I write the ones among my characters too.

• Like 1

cdadimage2.png

m75X5G.jpg

TC8kNCH.jpg7A5bb.pngsmallfrisson.gifaffy.gif SSbuttonnew.gifTIT7dF.png

Posted (edited)

As an outsider, I don't think it's weird that you're writing alone to keep activity up. One of the main points of roleplaying is to practice writing and storytelling. On that note, if you're writing these threads by yourself but don't really enjoy the whole process, that may be a different issue. But if you're content, keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by memoria
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

khyeras-sig.png
An original fantasy RPG coming soon... Join us on facebook for updates and lore snippets!

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

I don't necessarily RP with myself--but I am currently posting backstory or diary like posts, keep posting in out of character, keep an active Admin activity thread and will be trying to do a monthly news letter even if it's as sad/bad as writing, a few sentences. I think it shows dedication, as it was said above, and it keeps the place from looking dead. I made the mistake of not posting for a long while and it definitely affects your site. People want to see staff and admins active, even if it's just little things like software updates and site tweaks with occasional threads. 

• Agree 1

spacer.png

GREATEREALMS
Rhydin & Beyond.

Ditto-ing everyone else here. It shows you are active and committed to the community. Plus there's nothing wrong with having a world / plot of your own. ❤️

owner of some website ❤️