Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good Day Everyone!

I am in the process of relaunching my old, long-running swords and sorcery roleplay. It is my first love when it comes to my three sites.

I would love some input, suggestions, links, ideas and overall discussion on the topic of creating and using maps for sites.

Caveat...I am a graphics Village Idiot. Photoshop and I have a very adversarial relationship.

• Do you create or use a map of your world or continent, etc.?
  • What are some resources out there for map and world building?
  • What makes you run screaming from the very idea of creating a map of your world.
  • Do you have any tips or tricks for map creation?

I am using Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator and following a couple of Photoshop tutorials: Creating a Fantasy Map.... and some of the ones found here at The WorldBuilding School.

Thing is, the tutorials are almost too high level...and too fast...for me.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png  storm-shelter-button.png.45bd1e928f589f85d55d123de59b43aa.png 

aereth5.png

Coming Soon!

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• I've created two world maps for games. I'm not a photoshop or graphics expert either, but I know enough that I can get around and eventually get to a finished product.
  • https://www.cartographersguild.com/forum.php All the way. I'm not a member on the forum; mostly a lurker. But they have so many great tutorials for map building available, even for guests. For my most recent map, I used Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial, but the revised version with videos. https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=18643 The videos helped a lot for me because it described all the photoshop actions I was not entirely familiar with and how to find them. I've also used Cartographer's Guild for tutorials on coastlines and river flow.
  • Probably photoshop. lol Like I said, I can eventually fumble my way through things, but at this stage in my life, I try to avoid graphics. There's also worry about, "If I mess up this thing, can I go back easily?" In which case, I usually end up with layers all over the place.
  • I don't really have any tips and tricks. Most of what I've picked up I learned on the spot from reading tutorials.
  • Love 1

banner-01-88x31.jpg
Khyeras: an original fantasy RPG.

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

Thank you! I am prowling the 'net for options, but it helps to have actual input from people that have used a tool. I'm also functional (barely) in Photoshop. In fact, I started taking their free tutorials yesterday.

Thanks again!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png  storm-shelter-button.png.45bd1e928f589f85d55d123de59b43aa.png 

aereth5.png

Coming Soon!

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!