How Conversion Will Work

Arceus

So probably what a lot of people are waiting on is the converters to exist and how it's going to work. I'm going to be honest, I won't be able to move over a lot of things because I can't reliably check for certain things and figure xyz out, and cleaning something up is much easier if we just don't make too much of a mess in the first place. Basically on Jcink and SMF without subaccounts, I can't easily figure out what accounts are users and which are characters, so there'll be like 200 accounts and 190 of them are characters, and Gaia doesn't work that way. I also can't reliably figure out which groups are for users and which are for characters.

Instead, what I'll be doing is moving over two things: forums and categories, and topics and posts. We'll also have an input option for stating which groups are players and if a user is in that group they will be moved over, otherwise they'll be ignored. And then everything else will have to be moved manually.

Cheers.

• Like 2

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I can fairly easily move my site's characters over if we can get posts / topics and OOC accounts moved. Everything else is pretty easy! The thing I'm afraid of is that I'll have to move my one IPS site over 100% manually...but it's small...

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Tbh with you, I did move a site over manually from SMF, and with the admin post tools for posting as other users, it was basically a breeze. I think the only time even doing that much will be too much work would be when your site has over 50k posts, cause you can even knock out moving a few thousand in no time. 

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)