A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Got another.

When people seem incapable of suspending their own personal opinions to create a character which fits properly into the setting. As an example, a medieval character who has no radical upbringing yet is somehow liberal and progressive centuries ahead of their time. Cries out against supposed injustices which they would realistically view as the norm. I am all for revolutionary thinkers, but when every common farm boy is one of them the setting suffers.

EDIT: Another one being people creating characters that have no adaptive qualities of moving around or meeting up with others, then start publicly complaining that they can't find partners. Well, that's kind of what happens when you make a creepy monster and the majority of characters are regular citizens.

I suggest to them starting a battle thread, since that would get people involved. But no, doesn't want their ruthless undead warlord to make too many enemies. Then why make them, to have a tea party?

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 4

I agree with so many of these and have many more to add. I'll start with a few, though.

When people don't clearly mark something as thoughts or speech, so it's not until five sentences later you realize that this was thought or speech. At least now I understand the abrupt tense change. Still, people, learn to italicize or put things in quotes or, heck, even another font color. I need an easier way to distinguish these things.

When people apparently don't know how to separate paragraphs, so now I'm reading one wall of text. Or what looks like a wall of text because the paragraphs are there, but there's no space between the paragraphs. Similarly, when people separate paragraphs but at awkward spots. That sentence should have started this new paragraph, person, not ended that last one.

ICing in the OOC chat box. I don't mind character input here and there  (ex. "Joe is such a bully." -- Joe: "I am not!") But don't full out RP in there. Take that to IMs or, better yet, a thread!

Admins who essentially close the site but leave it "member-run" or let members still post there. I get that your plot idea is your baby, but if you have a dedicated member who will do their best to stick to that plot/ask you about ideas they have for it now and again, please let them take over! In my experience, sites without admins die almost instantly, and now what am I going to do? I'm not someone who can move my characters to another site. They are tailor-made for this one, and changing them for something else is like replacing my character with an alien clone. Now I have X number of characters in my head with no home. 

When people obsess over their PBs and constantly talk about it in the cbox. I get that you love them. I get that this site uses only Kpop stars or is a fandom for this show we all adore. But, please, can we maybe obsess about our characters in the cbox a little more? I mean, ultimately that's why we're here, right? It's like the playbys are more important than characters or the game, and I didn't want to join the site solely for the fan club. I wanted to join for the plot and the characters we could make.

• I read this! 3

18 minutes ago, Brock said:

When people obsess over their PBs and constantly talk about it in the cbox. I get that you love them. I get that this site uses only Kpop stars or is a fandom for this show we all adore. But, please, can we maybe obsess about our characters in the cbox a little more? I mean, ultimately that's why we're here, right? It's like the playbys are more important than characters or the game, and I didn't want to join the site solely for the fan club. I wanted to join for the plot and the characters we could make.

Oh jeez, I agree so hard. It always drives me crazy when people are like "I'm making a Godfrey Gao!" Like the face claim is more important than the IDEA of the character. I don't care who the face claim is. Tell me what you're actually making, like "I'm making an assassin who's obsessed with collecting snow globes!" 

• I read this! 6

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Zozma said:

"I'm making an assassin who's obsessed with collecting snow globes!" 

I want to see that character!

• I read this! 8

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Just now, Morrigan said:

I want to see that character!

Gimme a board and maybe you will! Haha!

• I read this! 4

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Zozma said:

Gimme a board and maybe you will! Haha!

You realize I can make this happen right? Just to see this?

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

20 minutes ago, Zozma said:

Oh jeez, I agree so hard. It always drives me crazy when people are like "I'm making a Godfrey Gao!" Like the face claim is more important than the IDEA of the character. I don't care who the face claim is. Tell me what you're actually making, like "I'm making an assassin who's obsessed with collecting snow globes!" 

Exactly! It irks me to no end when people expect me to get excited over the playby. Yeah, maybe he's cute and I love his role in that show, but that's as far as my excitement will go. I'm not someone who follows stars--I barely follow what happens in my family let alone what happens in the lives of the famous. I simply do not care. Give me the character. The face may just be a bonus.

Some more!

Changing face claims after you've established one for this character. Please, no. I associate this face with your character, always and forever. No other face will be your character to me. Why bother apping him/her with that face if it's "the best I could do in a pinch since I really wanna play!" or such? 

When I don't know the character you're making from a certain book/show, so you tell me a bit about it...and then a bit more... and then a bit more...after I said I looked them up. I'm glad you know your character, but I don't need their life story in the cbox, and I don't need links to a hundred images, either. 

Insta-romances.  I can understand seeing someone and thinking "Wow. He/she is cute." or "He/She is really nice." and crushing on them. But right of the bat trying to get romance plots going and expecting them to be true loves, especially when they're only 16? No. Give me some relationship drama (real drama, not dray-ma, as my choir teacher used to pronounce the word for "fake drama"). People break up. People get back together. People fall out of love and remain friends. 

When there are so many open threads--and with characters people want to thread with already--but they never get taken.

Edited by Brock
  • I read this! 5

I have two really big pet peeves in role plays. One, and the single biggest, is people taking characters off of the Adopions/Cannons/Wanted only to kill them off right away or shortly after adopting them. Because I've had this happen so many times, I've started adding a note that says something to the effect of "this character may be re-added to the list if ---". The second pet peeve I have is just... plain outright stupidity. I had one person on an old wolf site, and I mentioned this in another thread, who insisted her wolf character could climb trees.

A realistic-based site and no wings allowed, and her wolf could scale a tree.

• I read this! 4

poke_bro.png

7 hours ago, Diana said:

I have two really big pet peeves in role plays. One, and the single biggest, is people taking characters off of the Adopions/Cannons/Wanted only to kill them off right away or shortly after adopting them. Because I've had this happen so many times, I've started adding a note that says something to the effect of "this character may be re-added to the list if ---". The second pet peeve I have is just... plain outright stupidity. I had one person on an old wolf site, and I mentioned this in another thread, who insisted her wolf character could climb trees.

A realistic-based site and no wings allowed, and her wolf could scale a tree.

Adding to your first point, people seem to take important characters and never work to get them somewhere. So in your case it's that they take them then immediately kill them off. I've had people take important characters and suddenly want them to overthrow the government or win a war that's been going for years in the first month of their membership. They just want to rush to get somewhere and achieve big things, which is silly. Having patience and working at it makes victory all the sweeter.

It'd be the equivalent of a TV show major character ascending and dying all in one episode. Madness. :P

• I read this! 4

Along similar lines, I hate it when people say they'll take your want ad, and they seem excited about it--and then they never show up again.  Or they keep putting it off in favor of other characters they want to make.

Also, it bugs me when there are so many want ads that are waiting to be taken up. I'm all for original characters/fandom characters you wanna play--absolutely! But take a look at the want ads and consider apping one of them, please? Some of my favorite characters have come from want ads I've taken! Added bonus: you already have starting plots and someone who (presumably) will be ready to thread with you at any given point in the future, too.  (In other words, please take my want ads! :'( )

Lastly (for now), I've had it happen before where I take a canon character or have a character in a high-ranked role...only to get no plots from the people he would be interacting with, or promises of plots but nothing acted on--all while I'm watching that same character thread in so many places with all sorts of other characters. Really? I'm limited in what he can do in this role right now. He wouldn't interact with many people because of his rank and his personality. (I can't realistically put him with other characters because they'd never be in the same place to meet, etc.)  Now he has no threads and is on the verge of being inactive. Help me out, guys. Please.

• I read this! 4

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Brock said:

Also, it bugs me when there are so many want ads that are waiting to be taken up. I'm all for original characters/fandom characters you wanna play--absolutely! But take a look at the want ads and consider apping one of them, please? Some of my favorite characters have come from want ads I've taken! Added bonus: you already have starting plots and someone who (presumably) will be ready to thread with you at any given point in the future, too.  (In other words, please take my want ads! :'( )

Lastly (for now), I've had it happen before where I take a canon character or have a character in a high-ranked role...only to get no plots from the people he would be interacting with, or promises of plots but nothing acted on--all while I'm watching that same character thread in so many places with all sorts of other characters. Really? I'm limited in what he can do in this role right now. He wouldn't interact with many people because of his rank and his personality. (I can't realistically put him with other characters because they'd never be in the same place to meet, etc.)  Now he has no threads and is on the verge of being inactive. Help me out, guys. Please.

OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

18 hours ago, Brock said:

I love want ads! They're the first place I stop when thinking about joining a new place. My problem is that I haven't seen one that excited me in a long time. :( 

Another peeve of mine is when somebody takes a character you made and has somebody else play them, using their same name and face and everything--on a different site. I'm talking an original character. Especially since their character was only connected to mine because they took MY want ad. >.> Like dude, come on. Not cool.

EDIT: To clarify, I made a character, they took up a want ad for that character, things fell apart, and they appeared elsewhere with my plot line and my character being played by somebody else. I don't care if you take the same premise but at least make a new character for it. So unoriginal.

• I read this! 4

Reality is an illusion. 

Speaking of leaving sites, I get really annoyed when people leave the site without wrapping up plot lines. I'll understand if you have to leave, but give us some details about your character(s), yeah? This can be as simple as PMing other players you're in threads with and saying "I need to quit this site for X reason. Can we say such-and-such happened between these guys? Thanks."  And it can be as elaborate as a long post detailing what happens to each of your characters. I need the reference, guys! What if you rejoin later saying your boy was there all along, but I acted like he wasn't? What if you say she broke up with him and left, but I assumed she was still in town?  Or even if you don't rejoin, I still need to know what to say about the no-longer-played brother, you know?

Similarly, It bothers me when people type the long "I love you all, but I have to leave, so X happened to Y, A happened to B." without ever discussing any of it with other players. If you talked it all out beforehand, great! Let me know so I can reference this. But suddenly killing off 5 of your characters and having 3 run away without ever asking other players if it was ok to emotionally scar them like this? No. Ask first, please.

• I read this! 3

17 hours ago, Brock said:

Speaking of leaving sites, I get really annoyed when people leave the site without wrapping up plot lines. I'll understand if you have to leave, but give us some details about your character(s), yeah? This can be as simple as PMing other players you're in threads with and saying "I need to quit this site for X reason. Can we say such-and-such happened between these guys? Thanks."  And it can be as elaborate as a long post detailing what happens to each of your characters. I need the reference, guys! What if you rejoin later saying your boy was there all along, but I acted like he wasn't? What if you say she broke up with him and left, but I assumed she was still in town?  Or even if you don't rejoin, I still need to know what to say about the no-longer-played brother, you know?

Similarly, It bothers me when people type the long "I love you all, but I have to leave, so X happened to Y, A happened to B." without ever discussing any of it with other players. If you talked it all out beforehand, great! Let me know so I can reference this. But suddenly killing off 5 of your characters and having 3 run away without ever asking other players if it was ok to emotionally scar them like this? No. Ask first, please.

This so much! <3

• I read this! 1

I've found that people don't even usually give the benefit of ever even notifying anyone of leaving anymore. They just up and disappear leaving X number of threads hanging in the wind and RPers waiting for them to make a post.

• I read this! 5

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg