A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

On 10/26/2015, 9:14:16, Red Star said:

Related to that, Zozma, I used to get "This is an amazing site!!!!" And then no one joins, all the time, on my Futurama board. xD Like for real, so irritating. I mean I LOVE getting the compliments, but it was seriously like 2-3 people every day or every other day, and no one eeeever joined. If it's so awesome, why don't you just join? ;;

Along these same lines of "This is an amazing site!", when they add this:

"...But I see you don't have <thing that would take a lot of time to implement and possibly even change the entire feel of the game>!"

It puts me on edge. I usually just say "Unfortunately not."

Am I supposed to say "Let me just implement that for you right away!"

xD!

• I read this! 5

Here's another one (I promise, I'm more than my peeves):

When people give you empty compliments. At the time they give it, you feel great. You feel like they really appreciate your writing, like they really value you as a partner. And, maybe they do and don't realize what they say can hurt. Or, maybe they don't even think about it when they say it.

But, if you really mean what you say, don't say and do something later on that day that completely negates it.

I was paid a brilliant compliment about my take on a canon. It had me smiling, even blushing a bit I might add, and had me incredibly happy for the rest of the day. Then, this evening...they took it away from me in the blink of an eye, and I think what bothers me most is I know she doesn't even realize it but it does hurt. It's making me wonder how many other compliments she paid me just to pay them to me and bolster my ego, as opposed to the ones that were truly meant.

I don't know. It's kind of put a damper on one of my favorite RPs at present.

tl;dr: Don't say things you don't mean, even if they're nice. Please.

• I read this! 7

1. It's a wedding, for God's sake! People are dancing, discussing, eating. I agree, one or two would always be in a corner, watching the others without participating to the fun. But if all those who post are doing this... or others don't post because "what is my character supposed to do"?  Well, they are supposed to take part in the fun, to dance (and it's collective dances, so the excuse of 'not having a partner" doesn't fly) and talk with their messmates!

2. If I am asking for ideas, it means I want you invested in the story. Give me the adventures you want to write, and I'll help you achieve them. If you (all the members of a faction) keep silent and not say anything... should I understand you don't want anything to happen to your group? You aren't interested in writing anything at all? I can't believe it... but so be it. We are catering to our members' suggestions and wishes...

Edited by Elena
damn typos....
  • I read this! 2

"What is my character supposed to do?" is definitely one of my peeves. I have ended up kicking someone out of my roleplay because of this behavior. At every turn, the person always said "they didn't have anything to post", so at one point, I had an NPC go straight to their character and interact. And they posted "I have no idea what to post, there's nothing for my character to do".

Yeah. If you're incapable of reading the GM's posts, there's nothing for your character to do. Or for you to do in the rp

• I read this! 4

Shadow Lady

2hgzkwh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This site has absolutely no rule on post templates. I joined so I could RP from my PHONE, everything is GREAT, I get my app accepted, I post an intro...

And get a PM telling me they require post templates.

Now I'm not sure if I'm going to stay. I've liked everything up to that point on the site, but ... Phone rp was my go, and that is much harder when (surprise) mandatory coding is added in. V.V 

• I read this! 3

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

Omg Post templates... NO. Nopenopeitynopenope

I want to rp on my phone, on my tablet or any other device I have handy. And I want to rp, I don't want to make it pretteh. If I wanted to format things... I'd code a website.

Also... I try really hard to at least make my pb look vaguely like they're in the same generation of my character. Can we stop CW casting...? Your character is 17, HOW IS SHE MONICA BELLUCCI??!  And not Monica from the 2000s or the 1990s like a fairly recent Monica pic. No. Stop this. Just stop it.  Otoh I think someone using a classic pic is perfectly awesome. I kind of want to use Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara for an OC at some point.

Other pet peeve is if you aren't good at something like a specific kind of accent or vernacular, don't run your character's dialogue through a generator. And if you must do this, couldn't you at least read over the results before you post them? What's coming out is gobbledygook..

I'll second the empty compliments too. I rarely give them because I have had so many terribly false ones given to me that I feel like if I praise someone they'll immediately think I'm insincere. And honestly unless I'm fairly good friends with someone in rp-world, I never believe a compliment... because yeah. I have had some terrible experiences with rp friends who give tons of compliments being... spectacularly insincere later. I feel so awkward that even when  players in my game are amazing I freak out about saying so. I'm getting better, or trying to though.

• I read this! 3
  • Love 1

user posted image

On 11/15/2015, 2:34:21, deliriums child said:

Omg Post templates... NO. Nopenopeitynopenope

I want to rp on my phone, on my tablet or any other device I have handy. And I want to rp, I don't want to make it pretteh. If I wanted to format things... I'd code a website.

All of this. I just cannot stand posting templates. At all. It's a shame when a site has such a great premise, only to be ruined by mandatory post templates.

It's especially irritating when they promise premade ones for those who aren't that great at coding.

I don't care about pretty graphics. In the world of story telling, it's all about the writing. 

• I read this! 5
  • Love 1

Something current I'm coming across that just annoys the hell out of me:

When a site has canon characters of a fandom and then gives them a fake relative. It's like no, stop. Scorpius Malfoy doesn't have a sister, I don't want to interact with any random OC sister - it's why I didn't even bother bringing her up in the application. 

• I read this! 3

Guests complaining about what is basically the entire premise of my site. c.c There are 100000000000000000 DRoP sites, if you want one with dragons go join one of those.

Edit:

Lol wow, I suggested to them if they wanted one with dragons there are 10000 other sites to choose from, and they go,

"  There's probably only a hundred sites, and you'll find a lot of the people who leave them left because of the people or are too shy. It's not as simple as that, I'm afraid. I would certainly look into it. "

Like, what? What. What? 

I'm sorry, let me change my entire plot because you couldn't fit in on 100 other sites and want number 101 to be it, even if you have to change everything about it to make it work....?

I'm starting to regret opening a DRoP site. I thought it was just my bad luck that made it so that I never quite fit in with the folks on other DRoP sites. I'm starting to think that I really realy don't fit in with DROP players. How weird is that, that it's a whole culture? Or maybe this is just continued bad luck..

Edited by Red Star
  • I read this! 4

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg

@Red Star it's the culture, I'm afraid! Some fandoms have a special fanbase, and if you want to introduce anything 'new', the fanbase won't take kindly to it. it's infinitely frustrating.

My own peeve(s) lately: guests who are having problems on the site, but they are as vague as fuck when you ask them what problems they are experiencing. If you want staff to help you, you should... share details. If you insist on not explaining it, welp, you're on your own: and that's not my bloody fault.

Keying off what Mother Nature stated... OCs attached to canons bother me. Most times I've ever seen it players only wanted it for an excuse to skirt some rule or restriction. Like the child of a particular character/set of characters to gain more powers.  (It's especially painful when the character breaks the lore so badly. Like in one case their character was the 18 year old child of two canons... who had only met 10 years ago.) That or they tend to be blatant wishfulfillment mary-sues who are perfect in every way and can do no wrong. 

Something from an admin standpoint... please get my site's name correct. I've seen this a significant number of times now... I don't know whether people are doing it as an honest mistake ( like they're skimming my url/site name and just don't notice) or whether it's a passive-aggressive shot at my site or what. But either way it comes across somewhat annoying if not disrespectful. Like you can't even be arsed to get my site's name right?

• I read this! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

People who somehow think they're the exception to the rule just because.

So, every group roleplay I run, wherever it happens, has this exact rule:

You have (insert time here, usually two weeks) after the previous person in the order to make your post. If you fail to post, you won't be removed from the roleplay, but you'll have to wait for the next round. So, people join my roleplays knowing that I have a posting order and time limits.

...and then they miss their turn because they simply refused to post and now post a bit of a rant about how they don't really have time and, by the way, they don't even have anything to post. 

I swear, I don't get it. If a roleplay has a rule/a few rules I don't like... I don't join?

• I read this! 4

Shadow Lady

2hgzkwh.jpg

I dislike when people leave vague messages to contact them about my site in my cbox. If you have issues or concerns, post in the guest section like a normal adult. Don't make me chase you down, ffs.

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Echoing what @Will Graham has said, just about: chasing after people, be they guests or players. I refuse to chase guests, because. I rarely chase after players, but...I shouldn't have to. No one should!

Semi-related to the above: when a community has the wrong sort of players in it, and in the end that game just can't continue floundering in the water. It's time to let it sink.

There's only so much the staff can do; we're not going to hold anyone's hand, we won't be writing threads FOR players. If someone doesn't contribute at all, they're out of the game. Players get upset, but they know the requirements. What is there that they can't understand? 

For players who routinely go into hiding and then flip tables when they come back, just when they've been removed from the game. What did you expect to happen? You've been  MIA for weeks! >( If you're genuinely interested as you claim to be, then actually join in the threads and make yourself known. Don't go out of your way to make it impossible for people to contact you.

People who mistake having an original character with having a special snowflake.

"So, this setting has a range of character templates you can choose from and create something off of".

Player: "But the templates are too restrictive, I want to make my own character".

Is I say no, I'm a tyrant. If I negotiate their character into the roleplay, they usually end up with a character that doesn't really fit, or it fits, but it's so special they can't even interact around.

...and then they blame me, when I made very  clear that if you want your character to stand out, you have to actually work and put it out there. Otherwise, be content with the basic templates, like everyone else, or don't join.

Kind of related, people who go on rants about how nobody likes their characters 'because they are original', 'because they are not what everyone would expect them to be', when the character is usually just a poorly constructed one with some cool concept stamped over it to make it seem original.

• I read this! 3

Shadow Lady

2hgzkwh.jpg