A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

@Rune There are such wallflowers in RPGs too. One really wonders why they posted just to passively admire the others' discussion (or, worse, high-adrenaline action) and muse to their past life, as if what happened in the moment didn't regard them as well...

It is worse when somebody addressed them or gave them an order, and they don't show they fulfiled it, they don't show acknowledging it regulamentarily, at least. ("Yes, Sir, going to do it right away!") They just sit (or stay) and brood in silence, not adding anything meaningful to the scene. (The fact that they miss home is irrelevant in the middle of a battle. Everyone would have wished to be elsewhere than under the fire!)

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 2

How about the ones who just blatantly ignore or rebel against the chain of command and protocol... Then act surprised ooc when it yields discipline and discord?

• I read this! 4

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Exactly. Or initially accept the discipline then OOC reproach you that your character had flogged "her precious baby" (not character, baby!), even if it was in the articles for insubordination...

• I read this! 3

1 hour ago, Elena said:

Exactly. Or initially accept the discipline then OOC reproach you that your character had flogged "her precious baby" (not character, baby!), even if it was in the articles for insubordination...

I wish I could use the Captain's daughter on crew in Starfleet. T_T

How about people who bring in characters that disrupt the whole game, and when you talk to them about it, smile and nod when you discuss how they might fit in better, then just continue to do things the way they wanted to anyways? When you keep trying to talk to them about it, it feels like talking to a wall, and then they're no longer enjoying the game, but instead of discussing with staff what's wrong, they just isolate themselves and stop talking to anyone... But don't actually quit either?

• I read this! 2

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

@Death Kitten: Been there, seen that, survived... <3 Hugs to you! <3

And we had a few floggings in nearly 6 years, and a keelhauling gone wrong and ending with a mutiny :P

• I read this! 1

5 minutes ago, Elena said:

@Death Kitten: Been there, seen that, survived... <3 Hugs to you! <3

And we had a few floggings in nearly 6 years, and a keelhauling gone wrong and ending with a mutiny :P

If I thought I had the time, I'd be curious about your game. It sounds fun.

My CO character does have a cat o'nine, and it's named Anne after the daughter of a previous Captain she served. Too bad Starfleet would frown on its use on crew. *pout* Won't stop her from hanging it in the ready room. :D

• I read this! 1

Feel free to read around! We have summaries, we have chronicles...

• Admin

The Jcink shoutbox. It refreshes the page "technically" and makes it to where the back button is useless.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

34 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

The Jcink shoutbox. It refreshes the page "technically" and makes it to where the back button is useless.

O.o That's a beating offense. It's up there with use of the blink tag, target="_blank", and header images that make it so you have to scroll before you see content.

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg

*headdesks*

I admit, I've been avoiding this particular writing partner-- but not without good reason. They know full well about my Real Life Situation, srs bznss, TMI, all that jazz.  Once 'you' know the details, it's not something you'd forget, and it's most definitely not something you need updates on, aka 'so... can you rp? how about tomorrow? I'll be online for the next 5 hours, I'll be waiting." Cue another 'interest check' within 20 minutes, because how dare someone not answer immediately.

.......naturally I haven't kept in contact, because fuck. Life > RP right now, and I'm not a person who hands out daily or weekly updates.  I'll be back when I'm back.  Today, I get a message from them, and it's.... the same old crap that I thought they would have moved on from. Bloody making future-plans, full-on plans, and with my permission. Apparently.

Excuse you, RPer #, but at no point in the past 6+ months did I agree to what you just stated: not suggested. Stated. We haven't talked because hey, Real Life, and yet here you are, dumping your OOC schedule on me so we can 'go back to full-time RPing'...... which in your RP history means just that. 24/7 RP posts. 

I asked for fewer posts the first time we had a 1x1, and you seriously acted as though it was the end of the world, and that I was keeping secrets. What secrets?

If someone can't RP with X anymore because their activity requirements are way too high, and the High Activity Person essentially needs daily OOC & IC reassurances that the RP isn't going to die, why should there be another reason for ending the rp? Isn't the activity clash reason enough to part ways? Buh.

I'm staying in my hidey-hole.

tl;dr RPers with suspected abandonment issues, jealousy, and all round 'other people only exist to provide X with entertainment when X says so'. For fuck's sake.

b8O4w6m.gif

@Blackjack Bart: abandonment issues exist for real. (I am not talking about jealousy. That is entirely something else). When too many people vanish from a person's life (or too many characters from a story) it becomes a problem to trust somebody again, and every time somebody leaves for a while, it's the "been there, done that" experience which tells you he is going to leave permanently and never return... So I think I can understand the need of reassurance, but not as often :)

Also, putting an absence notice with no timeframing for return is also not good. Many sites require a timeframe for returning because "some day" can be translated by "mayby or never". But I ask for updates at 3-4 weeks, not every week.

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg
47 minutes ago, Elena said:

@Blackjack Bart: abandonment issues exist for real. (I am not talking about jealousy. That is entirely something else). When too many people vanish from a person's life (or too many characters from a story) it becomes a problem to trust somebody again, and every time somebody leaves for a while, it's the "been there, done that" experience which tells you he is going to leave permanently and never return... So I think I can understand the need of reassurance, but not as often :)

Also, putting an absence notice with no timeframing for return is also not good. Many sites require a timeframe for returning because "some day" can be translated by "mayby or never". But I ask for updates at 3-4 weeks, not every week.

While abandonment issues do exist, there is a line to be drawn- particularly in the Rp community. Rp for many, like me, is just another casual hobby, and that's no secret. No one should feel obligated to share their OOC lifestyle/schedule in full detail. It's one thing if something says they'll be away for a week because of work or Uni.  Waiting a day or two more won't destroy the Rp, as though there is a literal use-by date.

It's something else entirely when that general return-date arrives, and that person is bombarded on that exact date with such things as:

"why aren't you back yet? Where are you? When can we continue the thread? If you need more time, tell me. Don't you like the Rp? Why can't you post more?"

Breaks in private RPs are different to communities, I might be more open in a 1x1- because fuck, EVERYONE doesn't need to know my situation in a public comm. I can't control real life, schedules can change when you least expect them to; and there's only so much that can be done before it becomes ridiculous. For instance, if I'm  in the ER. The last thing I'm going to do is go on mobile and tell RPer # that 'hey, can't be on tonight, in hospital'. And the last thing I want to hear, when I go home and sign back on within # days, is:

them: hey. You weren't on the other day. 

Me: There was a medical emergency, etc etc.

them: so why couldn't you tell me you wouldn't be on? I find that rude. We could have finished another thread.

:T

@Blackjack Bart: I fully agree there are limits, and in your case they had been overpassed.

But people who don't give an estimated return time are one of my pet peeves too, because one can never know if they are inactive or they quitted, and often it happens mid-plot, blocking whole threads.

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 3

I agree with both sentiments. Yeah, it's a hobby and no one is obliged to stick around, nor should they have to explain themselves.

But at the same time it's not a good feeling when your RP partner ditches, just when the plot was so awesome and characters invested. So it's back to square one. Does pull on the heart strings.

And before I forget to add it, another peeve of mine: pissing contests. I was speaking to a buddy about this and they gave me a good example of it. His character threw a bottle into the air and shot it to show off his marksmanship skills. The other character responded by catching one of the glass shards, throwing it at him, and 'cutting a line through his beard'. So I suppose the peeve is more 'laughable unrealistic pissing contests'. Frustrating. :P

• I read this! 3

Nothing makes me want to never respond again more than "Hey, RP? Hey, RP? Hey, RP?" over and over and over again. You do it every fifteen minutes, I promise when I want to I will contact you. Nothing has changed in that 15 minutes, I promise. I get you want to RP and I appreciate that you like me well enough to want to RP constantly, but I've explained time and time again that I'm busy and don't want to right now... Ugh. I have a friend that I basically had to cut off entirely because it was this every five minutes.

The spotlight hogs. They show up to a public thing. Then try to change it to be all about their characters. When the first attempt fails, they try again. Whether it's showing up magically injured, or "figuring" the plot out without any prompting from the DM, etc. (And they are generally wrong and frequently just trying to be the hero/end the event so that all the attention can be on them again.)

• I read this! 3