A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

17 minutes ago, jenneral_jennson said:

I do that sometimes but it's usually in a bar type setting where approaching strangers is the norm. Although I do have some people that'll do that anyway because they don't give two shits (Shamus. It's always Shamus).

I'd say it's a bit different when you're established on a site and the character has friends that could potentially approach.

When it's someone brand new and they're sitting at a table in a restaurant who the hell is going to approach them without an extremely niche character?

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • Thank you 1

6 hours ago, Lawman said:

That's practically one of the oldest ones in the book. When people get a bit too into playing their characters that it becomes an extension of their self. And can't stand the notion of their character being disliked (IC) by another, or making enemies, etc. That's usually where they generally end up playing their character in a way that they always somehow know the right things to say, at exactly the right time, in an attempt for their character to get into everyone's good books.

And to add another of mine to the list, which is related... RPers who want to play the heel, but can't take the heat. They want to play the big evil villain and all, yet can't seem to stand the idea of their character getting hunted down or making powerful enemies and such, and will often go through great lengths to avoid situations whereby their characters aren't in complete control.

I can understand this. I've known people to play characters who should be considered a 'good' character, but they make friends with all the 'villains' in the rp, and still try to pass themselves off as a 'good' character. It won't work that way, espeaically as they make friends with the character where all the badness and strife in that particular universe comes from. (Think a Jedi still being friends with Palpatine after it is revealed he's a Sith Lord, and is still trying to be Obi-Wan Kenobi instead of Darth Vader.) They are still seen as being a 'good' character by most of the 'good' characters in the 'verse and well, it's ridiculous, to be honest.

You can also add to the list of playing the heel where a player takes the most powerful character in the entire fandom, or verse and just bullies and manipulates everyone else. (They also secretly take on the most powerful characters who are in opposition to their badass bad guy so absolutely EVERYTHING is controlled by them.)

I have been in those situations and had I been a more experienced rper at the time I would have known to avoid them. (The last one would still have been tricky, though.)

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg

People who write atypical characters belonging to a faction or lifestyle where any deviation from the norm is answered with 'extreme' consequences. Usually death.

Yeah, no. You can't play a mutineer or traitor. Because you will cry and moan that the consequences are unfair and hurtful. Fact; no one in a mad cult can just up and leave without any sign of a hunting party being sent after them. Never mind that, yes, your character WILL get killed. /the No Fun Allowed police

Generally, I don't like the 'X decided to disband and live their own life, always on the run, but never get caught' trope. The player rarely accepts the Bad IC Stuff, and focus on teh dramaz.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really peeved when I try and get plots with people, they say they are totally interested in plots but when you try to go and plot they just don't give any input. I have heard all sorts of reasons, but if you then see them happily plotting with some others its like well if you don't have any ideas or aren't interested at the moment let me know. 

• I read this! 5
  • Agree 2

• Contributions Mod

A bit of a rant here. I have seen this pop up on various rp directories to the point where it feels like the same exact conversation each time.

Someone starts a thread complaining about lack of marginalized groups in rp usually using the term POC (am I the only one who finds color coding most of the world, throwing everyone in two large toy boxes, and reducing the largest one into three letter acronym because you can’t be bothered to even write out three simple words both hilarious and offensive?), with most of the posters often whining about lack of Hollywood representation as why more people don’t write them and the lack of celebrity playbys.

Which is frankly bullshit. No one is forcing anyone to pick a Hollywood celebrity. You can pick a musician, sports star, television soap actor, or daytime television host. Increasingly, Youtube stars are allowed. In turn, various Latin American (notably Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina), Asian (China, South Korea, Japan, India), African (South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt), and Middle East nations (Turkey, probably United Arab Emirates) all have large entertainment industries.

I don’t expect everyone to be into Nigeria film, Turkish soap operas, or Japanese music, but acting these sources aren’t available (with the source material increasing available with English subtitles on the internet for free) just seems really idiotic. You can also be like me and pick people from media you don’t consume. You don’t have to watch that Bollywood movie to create an original character because you’re using that look.

What the reality seems to me is more, “I want to pick a playby from media I already consume.” Which in the rp world tends to be prime time network television dramas, premium channel dramas (HBO, etc.), Netflix and Amazon original series dramas, and big budget movies.

In turn, I think the complaints about representation are the same. I can find plenty of older actors in the U.S. daytime soap operas as that is a decaying area and older people watch them. Television hosts: Hoda Kobt, Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, Aisha Tyler, etc. Almost all daytime television hosts are older and are often not white. Again, most rpers are not consuming this content. I also noticed there are some new sitcoms with non white majority cast, it seems many rpers aren’t consuming these shows either. There are plenty of older musicians, black rappers, and sports stars, but again, these don’t seem to be things those who fit the rp demographic overall consume.

I also noticed when people ask about resources to help them write characters from other backgrounds, nationalities, ethnicities, they often get no answers. It’s usually a vague, “Well there’s stuff on Youtube, you can ask someone here, you can read fiction from POCs, etc.” but never actually suggesting any channels or books.

I, perhaps unfairly, interpret these non answers as being, “I can’t help you because I only consume Hollywood stuff and want accurate depictions of minorities in media I already consume.”

This is what bothers me the most. People whine about all the white characters and Hollywood, someone really wants to branch out and asks for help, only to get no answer often coupled with more whining about Hollywood and lack of representation.

I’m fond of culture books used for international business and tourists written by outsiders of that particular culture, documentaries, Youtube channels by natives of that culture, etc. Often times I’ll bump into these threads after they ended or just feel like I’ll be torn to pieces for pointing out all the various resources out there.

Anyway, I’m thinking it would be a good idea to start a resource thread here for those interested in particular cultures: books, documentaries, factual Youtube channels, some fiction etc.

I’ve also thought of going into the playby area and add a bunch of faces from different nations than the typical ones seen. I might add Youtube make up movie artists that do unusual alien creatures and the like.

Basically, I’m just sick and tired of people being lazy unhelpful whiners.

Edited by Mistress Of The Obvious
  • I read this! 5
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

I agree, When people whine about not enough representation it's little more than trying to virtue signal how good people they are. That they want others to think how much they care about minorities and marginalized groups. Except that their actions tend not to match their words. It's all about them feeling good, feeling virtuous and appearing as such to others regardless of whether or not they are virtuous.  (If you want a more thorough look at this, have a read of Janet Bloomfield's article "Kindness is a Womanly virtue".)

And there's no use pointing out them what they're doing, all that usually happens is they'll get vehemently angry with you (because you've kinda shattered their appearance of caring). Alternately, if they do have a minority character, they just get angry and indignant acting like their (usually one) token character means a difference. 

Personally I'd rather the whole argument over face claims, white washing and whatnot just stop because of how two faced the whole thing is in roleplay. These same people who cry over lack of representation are the same ones gushing over how totally hot (the obviously non-representative) celeb A and B are. 

That, and honestly, just let the movie makers do their thing. They know way more about making movies than most roleplayers do and they may have reasons for casting someone in a role rather than another. Plus, as an aside, not everything needs to be political in nature. Sometimes it's just a movie for entertainment. 

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

That feeling when you find a site that is the rating you're looking for and the genre you're looking for, and then you read the rules and it... contradicts its own stated number rating in the written rules. =/ 

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Bit of a rant here.

What peeves me is when you join a site and the admin singles you out for no reason and starts accusing of stuff that someone with the same name as you did to them years ago. Just because you have the same name as the person from their past who hurt them, doesn't mean you're gonna do what they did.

What peeves me is when admin on a certain site, deletes your character's app then claim it was deleted because it was someone else's character when you know it isn't true. The admin delete you because they don't like you right from the minute you registered an account.

What peeves me is when admin on a certain site delete your account, ban you and steal your characters that you worked on for along time.

What peeves me is having to install a new cbox because rude annoying people keep accusing you of stuff that you haven't even been doing.

Edited by demonickitten
  • I read this! 1

• Operations Mod

In a similar vein to what @Mistress Of The Obvious and @VirusZero stated, I loathe the way political correctness hinders so many games. 

I like supernatural role plays because they leave open certain explorations into "race relations" in the sense of werewolves may hate witches or humans hate whatever creature - but god forbid a character of any of those races dislikes another character for their sexuality or whatever have you. Torches will come for you in a flash. 

Edited by Dragon
  • I read this! 3
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 2

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• 2 weeks later...

"How do I make a forum on hitpoints?" 

I wish I could get paid every time somebody asked this. Hitpoints is a private server, not a free forum host. lol And unless I know you and I'm good friends with you, I'm not going to host your forum on it.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Reality is an illusion. 

This peeve is mostly directed at myself: come up with better descriptors, metaphors, etc. Like, better words. Read more to write better.

I mostly want to expand my writing vocabulary so I can continue improving my craft!

• I read this! 1

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

Racists. Generalizations. UNCULTURED PEOPLE. Like the people who come on, join, and the first comment is, 'wow so many Asians'. Hey genius, Asia's a big ass continent so why are you complaining; at least we like diversity instead of a bevy of White people. I might also say, no one ever complains when there are a hoard of White faces, so why complain about this? Sounds like racism to me, bud.

Or those who complain about all 'the gays'. Yeah... um I know this is unpopular belief, but there are a lot more non-heterosexuals than some people assume. Get over yourself.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

Read.  The.  Lore.

You'd think that would be obvious, but so many new players don't even bother -_-

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1