A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Rules that ban same first names and surname (unless they're related). Like no two Jennifers or Jessicas allowed, regardless of surname. Do you know how many Jennifers I have personally known in my lifetime (fyi my name is Jennifer and I have cousins named Jennifer all with different surnames)? Or Erics? Or Michaels? Or Stephanies? A lot. People have the same name. Hell some people have the same surname without being related, in fact I know two families named Anderson in my 3000 pop town and not a single one is blood related. 

By the way.. Rules like this will make me click that pretty little "X" in the corner no matter how much I may like your site. 

Edited by jenneral_jennson
Don’t ask there was a k there... <.<
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 4

• Admin
2 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Rules that ban same first names and surname (unless they're related). Like no two Jennifers or Jessicas allowed, regardless of surname. Do you know how many Jennifers I have personally known in my lifetime (fyi my name is Jennifer and I have cousins named Jennifer all with different surnames)? Or Erics? Or Michaels? Or Stephanies? A lot. People have the same name. Hell some people have the same surname without being related, in fact I know two families named Anderson in my 3000K pop town and not a single one is blood related. 

By the way.. Rules like this will make me click that pretty little "X" in the corner no matter how much I may like your site. 

My RL name is Jennifer lolol But I hate them too. I love the fun things that people can confuse by making assumptions about names. There are so many common names. Alexander, Jose, Juan, Jorge, Bob, and so many more. I work with 3 Mark's (one is spelled Marc). And this company has less than 20 employees. My last job had about 30 employees and had 5 David's when I started and 2 Ians.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

6 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Rules that ban same first names and surname (unless they're related). Like no two Jennifers or Jessicas allowed, regardless of surname. Do you know how many Jennifers I have personally known in my lifetime (fyi my name is Jennifer and I have cousins named Jennifer all with different surnames)? Or Erics? Or Michaels? Or Stephanies? A lot. People have the same name. Hell some people have the same surname without being related, in fact I know two families named Anderson in my 3000 pop town and not a single one is blood related. 

I have read several creative writing articles which point out that there shouldn't be people with the same name or very similar names in the same story/novel (unless for a specific plot point) because it confuses the reader. I think they are right and they should be avoided. There are enough names in name lists to choose a casting not confusing. It doesn't matter that in real life we had 5 Daniela, 4 Gabriela and 4 Cristina in our class. A story is a ...close-up look at the setting, and it should be narrowed to be clear.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Elena said:

I have read several creative writing articles which point out that there shouldn't be people with the same name or very similar names in the same story/novel (unless for a specific plot point) because it confuses the reader. I think they are right and they should be avoided. There are enough names in name lists to choose a casting not confusing. It doesn't matter that in real life we had 5 Daniela, 4 Gabriela and 4 Cristina in our class. A story is a ...close-up look at the setting, and it should be narrowed to be clear.

Which is fine for novels, but Play-by-post isn't the same a classic story for a book style writing and as such no repeating common names rules just do not make much sense.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

4 minutes ago, Pancakes said:

Which is fine for novels, but Play-by-post isn't the same a classic story for a book style writing and as such no repeating common names rules just do not make much sense.

Play by post is writing a novel interactively by several writers. It is how I have always seen it,and I am roleplaying for 8 years. Creative writing rules apply to it as well. They are general storywriting tips.

• I read this! 1

On a forum, it is a coherent story made of several chapters (threads). Some can have 10+ characters, most 3-4, some only 2.

• Admin

This is probably a better discussion for another thread.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

1 hour ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

I've been roleplaying for over 20 years and I don't agree with you.

Roleplay is more like several one on one stories, not a full 500 page novel.

Same.

Nice to meet another Dinosaur. RWAR! 

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

• Admin

Most of us have been roleplaying that long.

• I read this! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

People who take wanted ads, never post and then disappear.  It has probably been mentioned before but recently happened and it bugs me so much when that happens.

• I read this! 7
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

6 minutes ago, KARA BELLA said:

People who take wanted ads, never post and then disappear.  It has probably been mentioned before but recently happened and it bugs me so much when that happens.

I run into the opposite problem. Someone joins, I take their wanted ad, then they vanish and I'm left with a character I made for someone else that I like and don't want to get rid of.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

starting  a couple months ago I have a dream featuring an oooold character I played for YEARS. each one is intense, & nothing in life is a clue for why it’s happening, aaaaargh. 0 contact with ex buddies , too. 

Anonymous poster hash: 7aaf0...c28

When flakes whine. In my experience the unreliable flaky members whine about not receiving threads/replies way more than the stickers.

Serial known flake joins, has plenty of threads, but ditches in less than two weeks. Pops up on another site I'm on doing the same site-hopping spiel, wonders why certain members who have been shafted by them in the past ignore. Are flakes incapable of examining the consequences of their own actions or something?

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 5
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 3