What Social Media do you use?

Morrigan

What is your Social Media  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

So I am always curious to see what venues people use to advertise and today I was discussing Social Media and I wanted to put up a poll to find out what everyone uses as well as what sort of frequency you use it. You know. Give me your Social Media story.

Personally on DF we use Twitter and Facebook, we have a Tumblr but that's not as active due to not enough staff to cover it. So what do you use and how do you feel about it?

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I have a twitter account for the sim, and I used hootsuite to feed the released logs into it automagically via rss. Then I pop on anywhere from once to a dozen times a day to RT, respond, and comment with stuff that I think would be of interest to our crew and followers.

I also have a novelty account for the green alien fox that is my character's pet.

I have considered setting up a tumblr, but since I'd have to make a separate account to be able to do the important things, such as comment on other tumblr posts, and it doesn't look like their app is set up for easy account switching, that's probably not going to happen.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I have tumblr, twitter, google plus and deviant-art accounts. I refuse to get a facebook account/page (due to a deep seated distrust/dislike of facebook).

Twitter

I don't use twitter anymore because I'm not fond of the behaviour of the CEO (Jack Dorsey) and how he said "Oh, we aren't going to do a filtered timeline" then like less than a month later... that's exactly what they implemented. They've also shadowbanned users (so people don't see tweets from them). They've suppressed hashtags that they disagreed with (like RIPtwitter which people used to show their disatisfaction when they made the timeline change).

And their "Trust and Safety" council features a few very shady individuals that really have nothing to do with trust or safety. (Why helo thar Anita Sarkeesian... What are you doing there?)

If they ditch the CEO and clean up their behaviours (stop shadowbanning, supressing hashtags and clean out the trust and safety council) I'd probably go back.

Tumblr

I log onto fairly often but I just never really use much because there didn't seem to be any amount of places to advertise for self-hosters or non-free host users. (Most places I cam across were for JFH/IF or proboards only...)

Google plus 

The only reason I even have this is because for a while it was mandatory to have a plus account to upload videos to youtube. (Without it you were left with basically a shell of an account that could only view videos.) I've never used it for anything and I refuse to use it now. When the option becomes available to unlink the plus account and delete it without affecting my youtube or google account itself... I will be taking it. 

Deviant-art

I log in every now and again and rarely I'll post or upload something. But most times I just don't have time to be submitting there. I mean drawing a picture takes hours and I have loads of stuff that I need to do. I could probably spend more time offering comments and critiques, but for now I feel like I need to focus on other things first.

I'd love to have someone that could help manage social media accounts... but hiring for that part is incredibly tough and most people don't want to do it. Plus I will admit that I'd be incredibly picky about who I'd hire here because they'd be in control of the public face of my site.

So then I guess the answer is that I don't really use any social media for my site for one reason or another.

Edited by VirusZero
  • I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I voted for "Tumblr" because you made the vote one reply only. Actually it's tumblr, FB and twitter, but the main one is the tumblr which feeds also automatically the other two. On FB there are additional posts as well.

I have a Deviant Art group too, but it is seldom used since the creator had left RP world.

Edited by Elena

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Elena said:

because you made the vote one reply only.

Whoops I fixed that and added your votes.... silly check marks.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I have a tumblr and twitter account for one game, but. I can't seem to remember to actuallly use them. Whoops~

I, personally, have all these things. I do not use them for my site. I feel the focus should be on the board and not social media and there aren't many things I can do on social media that I can't do on my board so I don't waste time with them. Tumblr could be useful in terms of other members contributing odds and ends, but I don't want to dedicate the time to it.

• I read this! 1

I see the social media as advertising, not so much for connecting to existing members. Which is why my twitter account rt and comments on accounts that aren't my crew. I try to get people to go, 'that looks cool' and click through to visit our site. I'm also considering twitter adds when I get a graphic finished for the twitter card things.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I see it as advertising, exposure, gaining new members and fans, so it is something you can't do on your site because nobody would find it...

• I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

I only get on Facebook usually.  Sometimes it makes me feel old because I hear about Snapchat and Instagram and I am like... how would I even use those? D:  Then again, I am used to it and it is easy to me xD

• I read this! 2

Reign Over Me

Medieval Human RPG/Proboards

Plenty of Noble positions available and plot driven!

N0Qhnsj.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

button4_zpsyb53wxeh.png

Canis

Wolf RPG Set 16000 years in the past

For myself, I have a FB, Twitter (rarely used), Tumblr, and Pinterest.  For my game I have a Twitter, Tumblr, and some Pinterest boards.  I don't think most of my players follow any of them so I haven't bothered with other social media yet.  I am thinking of setting up a Google+ for Hangouts so we can chat together OOC more easily.  Journal format doesn't allow cboxes, alas.

I went with Twitter because I've seen other games use it to great effect, and it's a good way to network.  Tumblr is for longer things, sometimes photo sets and sometimes text blogs.  Pinterest is all about the pictures.  On all of them, I try to curate interesting and diverse information and resources.  They're not just vehicles for promoting my game, they're aimed at being helpful to a broader community of gamers--who, in turn, help me when they share their own great ideas.  It's a win-win. ;)

• I read this! 3

flower-face-234-150-2b.png

Nexus Sages is a panfandom RP for everyone:
no apps, no activity checks, just relaxed good times.

settingrulesfaqbrochurelocationsnavigation

TumblrTwitterPinterest

I have a tumblr and twitter, but mainly only update the tumblr. It's mostly there for inspo stuff and the odd character search - our members don't seem to be avid tumblr users. It's nice to have though, because there's a lot of fandom stuff on tumblr and it's an easy way to connect with them!

• I read this! 2

• 2 months later...

I use Twitter, tumblr and occasionally Google + to post things about my site.  Most of the time I would use them all every day to post the wanted ads and any updates about the site, however in the last month or so I got out of doing that and need to get back to using them again.  Personally I think they are all good ways to advertise a site and whatnot, it just depends on your preference for some people I believe.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen