Stupid Rules

Rune

1 hour ago, kjrod98 said:

Just found a site that wants a minimum of two 500+ word posts a day.

And another who doesn't allow people of color at all... That's set in New York. (In the borough of Queens, to be exact, which is the most diverse place in the entire US.) I laughed and then promptly nope'd right off there.

WHUT. -.- I cannot think of a single reason to deny characters of color.

Mood:giphy.gif

Edited by omgwes
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 1

2ibnwye.jpg

2 hours ago, kjrod98 said:

First/second wave feminism, such as the women's suffrage group of the early 1900s, wanted true equality. That's why I made the distinction of third-wave. Because they aren't feminists at all.

I was with you when you used the term feminazi. This absurd breakdown is where you lost me though. As a current feminist, I take offense to the idea that this "third-wave" in which, logistically, I am included, encompasses misandry. There are some individuals out there who call themselves "radical feminists" who are actually just using the term to red herring their misandry, but they do not define feminism, and those individuals who choose to perpetuate them as the voice of feminism do society a huge disservice. Of course, in fairness, most of what I have said is based in subjectivity.

But to be on topic, I once was staff on a site where the head admin enforced a rule that required members be active in all site events. All character had to have at least 5 posts in each event or they would be hard deleted and unavailable for reapplication. It was intense and I ran away.

Edited by Bass
  • I read this! 4
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Preach it! 1

I would have to agree with there being quite a few creepy female rpers around. If you play a canon character, (espeaically if it's male, and popular and have a good-looking/popular actor playing them,) you get quite a few wanting to ship even though you clearly don't want to, or your character's taken. Most of the time they back off, but some of them keep creating characters and follow you on twitter. (They don't admit that they are the same person, but it's obvious because the character is basically the same as their last one, apart from the name and the picture they use.)

I've not really had a problem with male rpers but I have seen posts on sites which allow adult content where the rper just wants sex in the rp, which I stay away from because they only seem to want that. (And given the wording of them, I've assumed that they are male.)  The only thing you can do is watch out for yourself and others.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff that goes overboard with posting frequency expectations.

"You must post an app within 3 days of joining. Then post your first post 3 days after that. Then maintain a post frequency every 5 days beyond that. Canon characters must post every 2 days."

Thanks for the lesson in algebra.

Can't they just say 'you must post once every few weeks to be considered active'?

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 3
  • LOL 1

So back in the day, our PB rules were... ridic.

The PB's real (current) age had to be within 7 years of the character's age, using old photos of the PB to show a younger character wasn't allowed. They also had to "not look too much like any other current characters".

Yeah.. I'm glad I loosened up. XD

We also did that whole "hiding key words in the rules to prove you read them" shiz.

• I read this! 2

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

Oh, man, secret words in the rules - I saw a site yesterday that had them. And (on the same site) "if you plan on having your character get pregnant, you must get approval from the admins. If we don't approve it, we'll offer you an alternative". Dude, nope. The only people who should have a say on a pregnancy plot, afaic, are the people involved in making the baby. Then again, I'm not anal about what plots people choose to write on my site.

• I read this! 2

Shady McShaderson

• Contributions Mod

So I've working with someone to create a roleplay based around a concept she's had for a long time. I'm up to my eyeballs in lore, which means time to look at various guide formats of other sites to get an idea of how they do things (I'm also doing my best to edit things down). Anyway, skimming through a bunch I still see a lot of "Don't be a dick," and "Have respect," rules. From my experience that asshole rarely ever thinks they're being an asshole. It's not going to stop them from being the way they are.

Also I'm a firm believer that the rules section is a place to show your 'mission statement' as an admin or staff. It's a place to show what you expect from members as well as the site environment as a whole. It's an opportunity to get the right members who will be happy with your site. From a perspective member position at least "Don't be a dick," or some other informal word choices give me an idea about the admin/staff, how they view their site, and manage it even if they don't come out and say it. "Have respect," just comes across as an empty statement to me. I'll admit, I have seen sites that will have such statements and then explain what they think it means to have respect/not be a dick, but by then my mind has already blanked out after reading the statement. If you want to explain what your rules of conduct are regarding respect, my advice is to just go into the paragraph and not have in bold letters over it "Be Respectful" or somesuch.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

This is more of a confused moment, really, rather than a peeve, but you discover that someone has joined the discord, but you don't know if they are a genuine member or not because they appear to be from completely different fandom, they try to rp in the general section and you can't work out if they are a troll, or just someone in the wrong place/doesn't have a clue what they're doing...

Anonymous poster hash: 623a5...beb

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

Man back in the day, I was promoted to admin of a Harry Potter forum. It's still going strong, bless. But talk about strict

You needed permission for the following things (off the top of my head) pregnancies, death, mental illness, terminal illness, any kind of physical disability, to be a squib and any kind of magical ability that wasn't just wave your wand around (non-verbal magic, occlumens/leglimens etc).

But it made me the kind of admin I am today. One who can't be assed with things like canons (ew stricter activity checks) and face claims (ew stricter activity checks) or restricting member's plots like that. 

• I read this! 3
  • Like 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I once banned Pete Wentz as a face claim for no reason other than the fact that my co-admin and I thought it was funny.

Back in the day when high school RPs were all the rage and trends were slightly different, people used to ban certain face claims just because.  Normally they'd have some sort of "reason" for it, but yeah.  I always thought it was stupid (unless there were legal reasons behind it, etc.).  So anyway, there were tons of high school sites and for some reason, people liked to choose Pete Wentz as a high school student.  This guy, for those who don't know, was from Fall Out Boy (popular at the time) but he in no way, shape, or form could pass for a high school student.  I mean, the guy was in his twenties probably but he looked older than that.

We just thought it was funny to ban him from our high school site since he was so prevalent on other high school sites.  Yes, there were other actors who were far older than the students they played, but we just chose this guy due to his popularity.  It was all in good fun and if someone really wanted to play him as a teacher or something, we probably would have let them, though we didn't have that in writing.  It was stupid.

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 2

WoL___dark01.png

Guest BETA BLUE

I'm thinking about adding a stupid rule to my site because I'm ready to pull my hair out over this.  

+ No one on this site is a trained and licensed therapist.  Call your medical care provider if you are in of one. 

4 hours ago, BETA BLUE said:

I'm thinking about adding a stupid rule to my site because I'm ready to pull my hair out over this.  

+ No one on this site is a trained and licensed therapist.  Call your medical care provider if you are in of one. 

Not stupid, though it's stupid that you'd have to even state it.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png

4 hours ago, BETA BLUE said:

Agreed with the previous poster, not stupid at all. Though I'd go with 'no one on this site is YOUR therapist', just in case, by a freak accident, you end up having a member who is indeed a therapist. XD

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

On 5/17/2016 at 12:18 AM, Blackjack Bart said:

"No het characters' , and then 'no bis'. And this isn't even for a marriage or dating game (as if that would make it acceptable :T)

'No ugly characters'. or something to that effect. It was... strange.

That site sounds more like the admin's own wet-dream RP than a real site. "OH, you can ONLY make chars that my chars would want to bone ok thank you." Thats ... really gross and predatory. Hard pass.

• I read this! 2

blindeyebutton.gif.2c196152d585c713c7743e6a99f000bd.gifBPwolf.png.bdb006b7973e909d61885e45d2ac0ce6.pngeasterlingwitch.png.14eb6a32219ecd01e6e5e7b8daa1dd06.pngViribusSeetheMemberbadge.png.c9b09ecb33e5de399c5e6ff5f4bff393.png

• 4 weeks later...

Paraphrasing.

"You can make one mistake, water under the bridge. Second mistake and you're out."

No mention of what constitutes as a 'mistake'.

"You must post within twelve hours when it becomes your turn or we will skip you"

I've heard of 3 days, and then 1 day (both ridiculously short times), but 12 hours? Lol ...

To everyone who has rules like this: make some reasonable and transparent rules that aren't designed to inflate your ego or stay away from creating forums.

• I read this! 3
  • LOL 2