Jump to content

Least Favorite Trends


Morrigan
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Admin

So from the Least Favorite skin trends I mentioned this type of thread. This thread may get crossover into the other trend threads but that's fine feel free to post in any that apply for the trend.

 

Virgins/Whores or any rendition of advertisement that are named anything but what they are first link and link back.

adtest3.png

engineeringad.jpg

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These salty threads are my reason for living.

 

Staff images that aren't involved in the RP. Someone's dog, random cartoon images when you're a RW board, etc. I don't get it and it annoys me probably more than it should.

 

I'm also on board with the whores/virgins things. It's just tacky and stupid.

 

Rapidly animated headers. Slight animation is cool - If its done well. Saw one with lightning flashes frequently. That would drive me insane.

 

  • I read this! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
1 hour ago, Rune said:

Staff images that aren't involved in the RP.

Are you talking about avatar images? If so I'm a culprit of that. My image is just me, normally Pinkie Pie. lolol

 

I totally hate super gif things too which is hilarious as the skin I'm working on now is going to be pretty well animated.

 

Another one is Bans on OOC accounts. I love having a central place for everyone to message me.

  • I read this! 1

adtest3.png

engineeringad.jpg

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Morrigan said:

Are you talking about avatar images? If so I'm a culprit of that. My image is just me, normally Pinkie Pie. lolol

 

 

 

No, like when they have a section of the banner/sidebar dedicated to "these are the staff" and the images are all connected to one another, but not to the board in any way.

 

Personal avatars, fuck it, do whatever.

  • I read this! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

gonna second you on the virgins/whores thing, and any sort of other inane advertising rule.

  • I read this! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Marquee affiliates needs to die already.

 

2. GIFs everywhere. Avatars, signatures, the site banner, huge ones as custom emotes in the cbox. Enough!

 

 

3. The 'post your claims' trend despite there being a field in the app for face claim. For example, app has a field where you place your face claim. Staff approves app. But you still have to go to another separate thread and make a reply to seal the deal for said claim. Why can't the staff member just pen it in when they're approving the app? Redundancy at its finest. Don't get me wrong, if there's no field for it in the app, do the post your claims thing until the cows come home.

  • I read this! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ahhh.

Gifs in posting templates.

No. nonononononononono. Please. The movement is distracting. I get it. You want to use a posting template. You want your posts to be pretty. Okay. fine. Use a still image. Please, for the sake of my sanity. I'm about 80% sure I have ADD and will literally get lost staring at your gif for an age. Not only that but most have no sense of what is actually painful to people with any sort of sensitivity to gifs (certain migraine disorders, epilepsy, etc). I can live with your signature and avatar moving on me because when I'm on the posting screen they're hidden. But that gif in your post won't be. >< And it'll take at least 8x as long to post as it should. I promise. Even longer if your gif manages to give me a headache while I'm trying. [/end slight ramble]

 

I. actually hate marquees. I know that they're for, I know they're useful - my default site skin has one - but I don't... like them? I'd rather have to scroll because then I can go at my own pace and find exactly what I'm looking for instead of waiting for it to take it's sweet time to get to me.

 

3rding? 4thing? The virgins and whores thing. I have refused to advertise on boards named that. I will tolerate /some/ variance in what they're called as long as I can quickly figure out what you mean (and don't find them insulting). Buut... for the most part First Link -> Link Back works. You don't have to be special. Every part of your site does not have to be named to match the board. I know immersion is a thing but honestly.

 

 

  • I read this! 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll add GIF affiliate buttons. They annoy me and become very distracting when there's a bunch of them in the affiliate bar. The need to "take attention" on the page seems kind of, well, rude to me when displayed on a site hat's not your own.

  • I read this! 3

 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 2:57 AM, CovertSphinx said:

I'll add GIF affiliate buttons. They annoy me and become very distracting when there's a bunch of them in the affiliate bar. The need to "take attention" on the page seems kind of, well, rude to me when displayed on a site hat's not your own.

The affiliate button for my site is gif'd, but only so the site title fits, and so that the genre of the site pops in. I try to keep the animation simple and not bitey. D: Never knew anyone would dislike an animated gif for affiliates. I have seen so many, it just seems common place.

 

Anywho, current trend that I can't stand?

 

I'm seeing a larger influx of 'present tense' writing on sites. It drives me absolutely batshit. I've seen people refuse to join a site because "Past tense, third person" is in the rules. Is it not common to write like that anymore?

  • I read this! 1

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mellomeme said:

Anywho, current trend that I can't stand?

 

I'm seeing a larger influx of 'present tense' writing on sites. It drives me absolutely batshit. I've seen people refuse to join a site because "Past tense, third person" is in the rules. Is it not common to write like that anymore?

First person, present tense is so much harder to pull off well, and while there can be experienced writers in rp, the fact that most sites have a range of skill levels among their writers and it's really disorienting to flip between tense and perspective in a thread, means this should never ever be a thing.

 

My site's rule is all logs are past tense, and first person is only allowed when it's a single character personal log, because it's common for journal entries to be written first person, and with only one author involved it isn't a problem with flipping between perspectives and is easier to keep the whole thing cohesive.

Edited by Death Kitten
words
  • I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

While I was out advertising yesterday I determined that a recurring trend that I despise is making the input boxes the same or very close colors to the background color and giving it no border so you have no fucking clue where to click.

  • I read this! 4

adtest3.png

engineeringad.jpg

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd rather marquee affiliates than 16 rows of static affiliates that take up a solid foot of your site's footer.

 

An app/mini profile requiring 7 different sized images/gifs. One or two is fine. Any more than three and I've lost interest.

 

Miniprofiles/apps requiring you/your character's pronouns. If they're that important/different from their appearance I'm sure it will come up naturally in RP because, you know, we're writing 'he/she, etc.'

 

Sites going "offline" for a short period of time without giving any idea of when they'll be back. Do I keep you on my affiliates? Do I take you down? Are you coming back? No one knows.

 

Requiring you register in all caps/all lowercase and getting pissy when someone doesn't. I know its shocking, but as admin you possess the ability to change anyone's username. Go fix it. It takes three seconds. (I don't get the all caps/all lower case thing anyway.)

Edited by Rune
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Death Kitten said:

First person, present tense is so much harder to pull off well, and while there can be experienced writers in rp, the fact that most sites have a range of skill levels among their writers and it's really disorienting to flip between tense and perspective in a thread, means this should never ever be a thing.

 

My site's rule is all logs are past tense, and first person is only allowed when it's a single character personal log, because it's common for journal entries to be written first person, and with only one author involved it isn't a problem with flipping between perspectives and is easier to keep the whole thing cohesive.

I prefer everything past tense. I've always written this way, 90% of the books I have ever read were written this way, until you get to the rare first person view stuff, and then even that gets old rather quickly when you're slammed with so much exposition about things that are pointless. I have not come across anyone doing present tense that was done well.

 

Now that I think about it, I remember actually leaving a site over this issue once upon a time, in the far and distant past. Total creative freedom site, you could app whatever you wanted, write however you wanted, it was awesome. Until in a thread we were all past tensing, someone jumped in with first person present tense, and I prodded the admin about it, because i didn't know how to approach the player at the time ( i was a timid little butthead at the time, terrified of upsetting people) and the response I got was "They can write however they want. Sucks to be you if you don't like it." and I immediately left. It just ruined everything in my naive little heart at the time. Now? I just gripe at people, "What are you trying to say, I don't get it at all."

 

If someone wants to do first person in a blog type thing or something, I got no problems there. Writing with others though, 3rd Past that pls. Kthnx. ^^b

22 hours ago, Morrigan said:

While I was out advertising yesterday I determined that a recurring trend that I despise is making the input boxes the same or very close colors to the background color and giving it no border so you have no fucking clue where to click.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. OMG. I've gotten used to clicking where I think  a box is supposed to be so I've lucked out there, but yes. They get so hard to find.

 

8 hours ago, Rune said:

I'd rather marquee affiliates than 16 rows of static affiliates that take up a solid foot of your site's footer.

 

An app/mini profile requiring 7 different sized images/gifs. One or two is fine. Any more than three and I've lost interest.

 

Miniprofiles/apps requiring you/your character's pronouns. If they're that important/different from their appearance I'm sure it will come up naturally in RP because, you know, we're writing 'he/she, etc.'

 

Sites going "offline" for a short period of time without giving any idea of when they'll be back. Do I keep you on my affiliates? Do I take you down? Are you coming back? No one knows.

 

Requiring you register in all caps/all lowercase and getting pissy when someone doesn't. I know its shocking, but as admin you possess the ability to change anyone's username. Go fix it. It takes three seconds. (I don't get the all caps/all lower case thing anyway.)

If I start getting 16 rows of affiliates, I might start some scrolling, but... I'm kinda selective on my affiliates, and I clean them out now and again. I lost half of them the last time I did a check because all the sites up and died.

 

The old skin my site had, had several bonus image slots and it was for the custom profile page stuff. It looked neat when people took the time to actually fill it in, but no one really bothered. Which was a shame. it was nifty. Right now we got it down to Avatar, and a small gif, and it seems to be working out just fine.

 

Pronouns - I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, depending on the genre of the site, I can see this being needed/wanted (majority vote)/useful, but on the other hand... it's fiction. I don't care. I'm so tired of SJW that I've just kind of side eye'd at the pronoun thing. I respect it in person, and follow it as directed with the few friends I have that enact this, but for the most part... (hate me, I dare you) I don't care what you prefer. It's the internet, we're all pretending to be someone we're actually not, so if you're a dude, who would rather be called a she, then just tell me that, don't give me your life story. It always comes with a life story.

 

//ends ramble

Edited by mellomeme
  • I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the topic of pronouns, while I understand that having to tell everyone over and over gets tiring, if your primary interaction is written narrative, you should be able to quickly and easily show within the bio/app/whatever, as well as your rp writing, what the character's pronouns are. I have gender as a text field, not a drop down, in my app/bio form but see no need for another field related to pronouns.

 

And honestly? If someone's a jerk that's going to misgender your character, they're going to do it regardless if there's a special field for pronouns in the app/bio, and everyone else can be politely corrected if they can't get a clue from your lead in the app/bio and your in character writing. Anyone who continues to misgender someone after being politely corrected should be handled by staff.

  • I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly. If it were in person, I could get it. But we're writing. You are typing "She//He/The" repeatedly in every post, shipper, app, etc. There is no reason to add another field for it. As for players, I've found that most RPers resort to "they" unless specifically told otherwise/or told the individual's gender.

 

I also don't understand "rebooting" a site. Maybe because I've only ever seen it happen a few weeks after they've been open but I don't get why. If someone can explain this to me, please do. xD

  • I read this! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.