Can someone post too fast?

Quell

Having been accused of replying too fast, I guess I'd have to say yes. I mean, it wasn't so much an accusation, as it was a loving jest. I took it the wrong way, however, and became almost too afraid to post at all. Now, I space out my replies over either a few hours or a few days, depending on the mood I'm in and will only post faster if asked to do so. 

• I read this! 2

I can't give you the white picket fence, and if I did, you'd set it on fire.

If people wanna post back to me immediately, go them! The only time I can see this being an issue is when someone is so rushed to get a post back that they sacrifice content for it. If people do get back to me immediately I'll generally let them know I've got other posts to work on before I cycle back to them. If I have nothing else to reply to it's another story but even then I try to let people know not to expect rapid-fire out of me. 

• I read this! 2

I'm a slow replier. I used to be faster, but as my repertoire of characters grew and RL changed I found I have less time for writing than I used to, so now I lag a lot. I don't mind if people reply to me quickly, but they know the deal with me. I reply in order, so once they post it gets put to the bottom of my list.

RP is for fun and I'm not going to stress out about how long I take. So long as my RP partners are happy and having fun, then so am I.

• I read this! 2
Find me on my sites!
The Next Incantation :: The Last Island

• 1 month later...

It depends. To me it's quality over quantity and quality over fast reply. So I prefer an rp buddy to wait at least one day before they post a reply because the more time and thought one puts to a reply the better it will become. No exceptions. That's just how life is; the more effort you put into something you do the better its quality will be. Unless of course you're trying too hard. But that's why I never pressure anyone to reply in a set amount of days, my site's minimum activity requirement for IC posting is extremely reasonable, more than enough time for any level writer to produce a good quality post - and I personally have no problem every now and then waiting even up to two weeks without getting worried.

Of course an advanced writer can produce a very nice quality reply in 20-60 minutes, but even advanced writers can do remarkable higher quality if they let a vision live inside their head / slowly write out the post for a day or two before actually posting. That often helps the game event to become much more complex and something even more interesting and fun than originally planned.

Most of the time I put a lot of effort in my replies; like I really think what I want to write, how I write it, dig into my characters' heads, often describe the surroundings, and often do hours of research to have additional realism and detail. So I appreciate very much if my rp buddy puts at least a moderate effort instead of speed relpying. Not as if I wanted them to be like me but because putting a good effort in it shows that they care about our game events/plot and its quality, and that they are still inspired by it and their own character, and of course that they appreciate the effort I put in it on my behalf.

Edited by Kieran
  • I read this! 3

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

I reply really quickly most of  the time...I have had members on the site I write on state that they have to do replies while I am sleeping so that I can't insta-reply. Ha! I get a lot of similar comments to that too since I rarely let anyone actually catch up with their list of replies, but I think it is all playful in the end. If I am not doing anything, especially if I was really excited about a thread, then I don't see any reason for me not to post. 

That being said, I am not giving them short/terrible quality posts. At least I hope I am not. I've just always been able to think and write quickly. I also don't care how long they take to post back to me. I think it becomes a problem when someone who replies quickly pressures their partner to do the same or when they are giving terrible posts.

• I read this! 4

My posting rate varies. Now my character load is a looooooooot smaller, I can get posts out faster than I used to. A lot of it is expectation of other rpers. If they make me wait for months and expect a reply right away. I have news and it's all bad, lol. I typically post with characters, I log into one character and do all my replies with that character. If someone replies when I've logged into another character they will need to wait until I come back to that character. 

That being said, I have waited six months or more for a reply with an rper who was having family trouble. If someone communicates with me about something. I am understanding about it. Otherwise I assume they're not interested or flaked out. 

• I read this! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

There are moments when yes, you can post too fast. I have that situation now. I adore the posts and I get so excited to have them but some days I get drained from the constant back and forth and need to take a moment to step away. It can be very intense.

blindeyebutton.gif.2c196152d585c713c7743e6a99f000bd.gifBPwolf.png.bdb006b7973e909d61885e45d2ac0ce6.pngeasterlingwitch.png.14eb6a32219ecd01e6e5e7b8daa1dd06.pngViribusSeetheMemberbadge.png.c9b09ecb33e5de399c5e6ff5f4bff393.png

When I first started RP-ing 15-ish years ago, we were all young teens and would come home from school, spend a couple hours online before our parents got home, and do a lot of back and forth posts.  When I stopped RP-ing it was still somewhat like that, and by that point we all had AIM and could tell whether we'd be getting posts from certain people based on their being online or not.  The expectation was set.

Getting back into RP-ing recently, has been a struggle for me to adjust. not gonna lie - I came back with all cylinders burning.  Having two of my old buddies in the game certainly helped.  Posts have slowed down, I usually have a post a week, if that.  With the downtime my anxiety has time to get a full head of steam going and I start worrying... the thought process usually goes something like "my posts aren't good enough, my partner doesn't have anything to work with..  my posts aren't as long as some of the more established members.  My writing is crap, oh god, why am i even here!?"  I can usually break that cycle and remind myself everyone else on the game has crazy schedules, or the winter blues and muses aren't cooperating, etc etc.

I've slowed down a little with how quickly i get a reply up, but i still worry that my partner will feel pressure to reply.  At this point, I have to look at it like "I have muse for this character now.. the post gets written or we're gonna wait a couple weeks before i have muse again."

• I read this! 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just like consistency.

if a player is good at replying fast, and i can expect their replies to come soon after mine it doesn't really bother me. same if a player needs a slower pace.  I like to know before hand so that i can control my own muse, and not get too hyped up over a thread I may have to wait a week or two for.

What bothers me more is when players go fast for a little while, then slow down dramatically, then eventually get up into a cycle of rapid posting again. unless a player gives me a heads up about the change in pace it can mess up my muse cause in those situations I don't know if I'll be waiting a few hours, or weeks, or if they're going to drop the thread without saying anything. 

Man, I used to be a super fast RPer and I spent pretty much my entire life online, writing posts. I'm serious. I'd spend MORE time RPing in a day than my husband spent at work. As one might expect, I burned out and couldn't last at that pace. Also, at that time, I had no real life and not many responsibilities. 

Now, however, I have a LOT more going on in my real life. I've got classes, apping for jobs, setting up freelance work, and most importantly: spending more time with family. I probably only spend a combined 2-3 hours a day RPing now, and that's in little spurts and intervals, not all at once. 

It kinda sucks because I'm not as INTO the scene the way I was when I would write out an entire thread without getting up. It was like binge watching a show only I was helping write it. Haha! 

ANYWAY, that might seem off topic but here's the thing: I don't actually mind if people are slower at posting, the way I used to back in the day. I'm not impatient. I can wait a week between posts because I do the same now. But I do sometimes feel a little pressured to post for certain people. I know it sucks that I'm not the same as I used to be and sometimes I wish I could be that person I was before but I'd also rather grow more as a person than as an RPer. (Plus, she's flat out said she's not stomping her feet waiting for me, so the pressure is in my own head!) 

But yeah, sometimes it can feel like people post too quickly. There are some days where I'm so crippled by the guilt that I need to post to all the things that it actually pushes me away from writing all the posts because I'm too busy throwing myself into a tizzy to actually get to the writing. But most of the time, I wouldn't say people post too quickly. I love the feeling of having nothing to get back to for a little while. It makes me feel accomplished. But realistically, if I don't have posts waiting for me, I'd get bored and start looking for other sites to join. So the problem really never ends. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Sometimes it does make me panic a little when I'm trying to get through my post-lists and they immediately reply! But, as long as I'm sure they won't mind me taking a while to post back to them again, I don't mind so much :) It adds a small amount of pressure, I think, and I can sometimes feel guilty that I'm keeping them waiting, but we can all only do our best! 

• I read this! 1

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord