Annoyances of Affiliating

VirusZero

1 minute ago, VirusZero said:

I have to admit I never even bothered to ask to self-host the button. In every case I've just gone ahead and done it. Mostly because I didn't figure anyone would really care. It'd ensure that the button is up as long as my site is up. Plus it means I'm not using their resources. And if they need it changed then they can just let me know. (Or, more likely, is that I'll end up removing it anyway because their site is dead.)

It didn't even occur to me to start asking until I encountered a directory that insisted that I had to hot link their button. >.< The less said about that mess, the better.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

There are other reasons to rehost buttons that are actually for SEO:

• Hosting images from cookieless domains (for loading and as DK mentioned to segue tracking for things that don't require it).
  • Fewer DNS lookups (single host single DNS lookup)
  • HTTPS (when they aren't being hosted HTTPS)

There are likely more but those are the top few, no matter how small the image these are impactful to the sites load time.

• I read this! 2
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

27 minutes ago, VirusZero said:

I have to admit I never even bothered to ask to self-host the button. In every case I've just gone ahead and done it. Mostly because I didn't figure anyone would really care. It'd ensure that the button is up as long as my site is up. Plus it means I'm not using their resources. And if they need it changed then they can just let me know. (Or, more likely, is that I'll end up removing it anyway because their site is dead.)

Apparently its a huge deal and ruins everyone's life if you do it.

Or so I've heard. I'm not enough of a control freak to give two shits.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 3

To be honest, I've never ever thought to self-host! Perhaps that is the way forward... 

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord