Wanted Ads

Rune

Do you have special rules for wanteds? How do you handle it if someone takes a wanted and never plays them? Do you moderate wanteds in any way? How do you have the wanted ads forum organized? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have special rules for wanteds? Okay so yes and no. Canon wanteds aren't allowed as a first characters because they're characters with IC responsibility and authority. And personally, I don't let someone take one of my wanteds unless they've actively been on the site for at least two weeks and have a few posts on their other character's account. But for member wanteds and in general, I don't have any rules. 

How do you handle it if someone takes a wanted and never plays them? My site has activity requirements. So if someone doesn't put a character into play, their app gets archived. Same thing happens whether it's a wanted or not. I'll message them with a reminder about the rules and link to the plotting forum/channel, and an offer to write with them if I'm currently able to take on another thread. And if they don't answer, I'll give the requester a heads up that the person has apparently left the site. 

Do you moderate wanteds in any way? The requester must sign off on a wanted's app before I approve it as an admin. If things don't work out, the wanted can stay in play, but the player has to change their character's last name unless it's a common one (like Smith or Jones), and anything that is specific to the wanted like names of family members, details of family history, stuff like that. Just not the basics. Change enough that it's not 100% the same, but not so much that it significantly affects the character. Requesters can ask for further changes but they won't be mandatory. If they're pushing and demanding after the player's said they don't want to change anything else, I'll warn them for harassment. 

How do you have the wanted ads forum organized? I don't, to be honest. I have a forum labeled wanteds, with a pinned topic for canon wanteds, and then people can post their wanteds however they like. The canon wanteds are IC leadership positions or needed for a sitewide event or plot. Most people put something about their wanted (lover/siblings/enemy/rival) in the title or subtitle of the thread. 

I have a wanted ads forum. When a wanted ad is taken, the bio has to be approved also by the requester before the administrators give final approval. The requester also knows from the start that if he is going inactive, the character will be put up for adoption (with all due credits for what he had written, ie nobody would pretend a work which wasn't their own belongs to them, but each person is credited for what has written).  I don't have any more rules than these.

Our set up is similar to those already posted.

Members place all their wanteds in 1 thread. Requester gets to approve it first. 

But we also have what we call "Future Wants" which is for characters/plots that don't exist and won't until someone takes them. Basically a "Hm, I want to roll this thing... But I don't want to do it alone!" 

Lately we've been having the weird issue of one requester expecting people that take her wanteds to post X amount of times a week or so. And demanding they drop the character if they don't. Its... Weird.

• 2 months later...

I love want ads but I hate posting them because the same person takes them and then doesn’t do anything with it? I have to start putting my foot down or I won’t get to do any of the plots I want. 

Anonymous poster hash: 745e9...c97

We have a guest friendly wanted ad section on wicked and I always tell members that they are in control of their wanted ads and if someone isn't active enough, you don't mesh well or whatever to shoot them a PM and then reopen their ad. Members have to keep their ads updated and active or else we'll sort them as dead. Unless it's a canon being requested, I don't get super involved.

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

In short, all the power over want ads and the "rules" of them are up to the requester. Ergo, if someone takes a want ad, and the requester decides they don't like whatever character was made for it, or the character doesn't mesh with the one(s) it was requested for, or the taker goes inactive, what happens and when is up to the person that posted it. If the requester wants to reopen the ad because the taker was gone for three days, that's their prerogative.

Wanteds are a bit too variant between player for me to really justify a blanket solution. I am a far more patient individual than some. It also varies for me based on what the role is, exactly. I can tolerate a character having a very absent minor wanted, for instance, but it's going to frustrate me quicker if their ... idk, their parent, is never around. So I just leave it a per-player/ad basis. And tbh the ones that get too controlling will quickly find nobody takes their ads anymore, and that's very much their own problem, not mine. =D

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

We have a "Looking for Companions" and people post in there what they want to. As said above, we don't really put a "must be" anything on there - because each player / situation etc. And while I put "I will post again in 1 week, if you've not posted, I'm going to anyway" on an event / moderated thread, I'd never insist on a timescale on a wanted add. No one would ever write with me! 😄

SigBann01.png.f26cc6143015c1ca5b2b89f492ba6f89.png