Post Harassment

Dragon

4 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

2) Have members create specific time frames for themselves. Many sites have member lists; in this, they can write how frequently people can ask/remind/pester for replies. I like this option because everyone is different and has different opinions on what is acceptable and what is not.

This is basically what I have been doing informally with all of my partners, the whole "if I haven't replied in (x days), feel free to poke me". It makes everyone's lives easier, since this way everyone is being left alone to post in their own time and only contacted if they have possibly forgotten. 

• Like 2

Shady McShaderson

Usually if they're pestering me for a reply after I gave one that same day (usually for me it's the people that reply quickly and expect you to get out five or six replies in one day) I stop replying for a few days and if they keep pestering me, I'll put it in the back of my list of things to do. I have a lot going on, with college starting so I'm getting my stuff together, family stuff, and work so I'm not always online.

As staff, I usually just send a PM to let the person pestering them "hey, they have stuff going on so replies won't be quick" or some variation of that that's way too polite lmao x'D and if they continue pestering, I would give them a little time out (make it where they can't post for a certain amount of time or ban them from the cbox or wherever they're pestering for a few hours).

I think the big difference is asking once for the sake of the thread and asking repeatedly, usually in an effort to get the player to put the shared thread above others in terms of priorities.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rune said:

I think the big difference is asking once for the sake of the thread and asking repeatedly, usually in an effort to get the player to put the shared thread above others in terms of priorities.

Yeah, there's a big difference when it's a group thread--especially when it heavily impacts the plot of the entire site. It's understandable if you're busy, but if you are, you should either not get involved in something that important or, if it's too late, find a way to step aside.

As for dealing with the pestering, as an admin I'd have nothing to add; as just another member, I would just remind them that daily life has to come first, and that beyond making sure I haven't just overlooked the post, rushing me will only frustrate everyone. I've actually seen a member like this get frustrated that nobody was posting fast enough and start complaining/sowing discord, so I'm pretty wary of them.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tamir said:

Yeah, there's a big difference when it's a group thread--especially when it heavily impacts the plot of the entire site. It's understandable if you're busy, but if you are, you should either not get involved in something that important or, if it's too late, find a way to step aside.

As for dealing with the pestering, as an admin I'd have nothing to add; as just another member, I would just remind them that daily life has to come first, and that beyond making sure I haven't just overlooked the post, rushing me will only frustrate everyone. I've actually seen a member like this get frustrated that nobody was posting fast enough and start complaining/sowing discord, so I'm pretty wary of them.

My general rule of thumb is three days. You get 3 days to post, then you are skipped. You can jump back in after that, changing the order but if it happens again, same applies and you're probably going to be asked to drop it/sum up what your character was doing towards the end.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have the same method as Rune. 3 days is the standard, and if I want something slower or faster I say so up front. If it comes time to skip someone I skip them and let them come back in at their leisure, understanding that things are more important than RP but also that I don't want my RP to die, and if they're skipped multiple times then I remove them from the order and the show must go on

ALHgt52.gif

I haven't personally been unfoundedly harassed in a while, so I'm a little rusty. BUT, what I can do, is reply as a 3rd party admin. 

When a member comes to me claiming that a second member is annoying them for posts, I usually give a pretty extensive but casual Q&A to try and determine: 

1. Whether or not Member A is exaggerating the allegations 
2. Whether or not Member A has actually spoken to member B about how they feel

3. If the problem is actually Member B's reminders or something deeper that they're not outright admitting (for example: that Member A just doesn't like the thread anymore and is for some reason unable to communicate this to member B, and is getting mad that member B isn't allowing Member A to "ghost" their thread)
Then I talk to Member B to touch base and inquire what they're feeling and if they have any regresses. 
Finally,
 I usually explain to each of them what the other's POV is (from my perspective) and instruct them to try again at hashing it out among themselves with this new information. If they can't reconcile, my recommendation is to just not thread together. 

If it's a "clear case" of a single member being a Jerkwad, then normally it's a firm warning followed by a ban if they continue to be a jerk. 

• Love 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Depends on how bad it is and where they do it.  if they do it via PM, I'll send a PM.  If its in the Cbox I'll give a reminder that hey, people have lives and are busy and there's plenty of other people to RP with.  I also advise them to thread less with the slow/absent poster in the future in favor of others who do post more regularly.

If it’s me being harassed I just tend to

wiggle away and put that person on the back burner. This is because they place undue stress and pressure on me. If it’s a member on my site being harassed I politely ask them to stop. Those types of members have not lasted long on our sites though. 

• Agree 1

Reality is an illusion.