A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

• At Myself

I hate it when I get excited about posting and overlook a tiny detail. 

And by tiny detail I mean I completely ignored a line of dialogue or in a multi-way thread ignored a character entirely.

Oops. >.<;;

• Other People

Mary Sue like characters. Half Demon Half Elf, Wizard, Tank with Regenerative Abilities, hypersonic speeds, can fly, has a space ship, did I mentioin they are a space pirate? Also trained in Ninja martial arts and is talented with computers. Oh and they speak every known language and can read minds. 

Yeah, that. My insides turn when I see people apply for ridiculous characters like that.  

I think that makes me terrible people.

• I read this! 2

newersig.png

Lately I've been seeing this one a lot and I wanted to rant about it. This thread seems like the place! ;)

So, I'm sure most of you have at some point written a solo post. Sent your character off on their own adventure for a moment. So you write it up, post that bit, and move on.

And I'm sure some of you have posted threads between multiple of your own characters. I do this myself--I have a small site and (1) they would run into each other, (2) it's fun, and (3) it's a way to make the site look more active. But my threads between my own characters are always last on the list. I only work on them if I don't have other people to play with, because writing with other people is the point.

Lately on another site, I have seen people join and do extensive solo threads. Which is fine... but I don't get why they joined an RP site. Your character is literally in a different country to everyone else's (granted, U.S. and Canada, so not super far), why are you on an RP site? I get posting by yourself a bit, but why join an RP site if you don't want to write with other people?

• I read this! 3
[[there is no signature here]]

I hate it when sites straight up deny your application without a word.

Like, why wasn't it pended? Was there something wrong with it that I could easily change?

All it does is give me more anxiety and want to cry.

• I read this! 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg

1x1 players who really get stuck into the whole 'you must post at least once a day', etc.. You give them a shot, because fuck, flakers are too common. Everything works for a couple weeks, then suddenly: they disappear. And all because of a tiny 'problem'.

I hate players who advertise themselves as open and all-but-needy for ooc discussion, and then they do a heel-face-turn and flake. FFS.

This is one thing which has got on my nerves recently on twitter. Everyone I write with is suddenly ultra busy. Some of them say that they will be back in their writer account, but then don't bother coming back to post in their rp account. This has happened several times now and has been happening for months (since September, or so.) I'm a patient person, but I get sick of waiting around for them. If they don't want to rp anymore, then they should just say so. It used to be that you would have a couple of rps from them everyday. (And that's not much, with it being twitter, most of the replies are quite short to begin with anyway, and I don't demand ten plus tweet replies from people. I am content to let them write as much as they feel they need to (but take an exception if it's a one liner, or a two word reply, which is reasonable.) I don't even mind if it's once or twice a week, but lately I'm lucky if I get a single response from people for two weeks. I even cut back with some people because they are busy and then there's one person who pretends that they are busy, but are rping loads of times a week, which I just don't get. If they don't want to rp anymore, they should just be up front about it and not play these sorts of games with people.

On 03/12/2015 at 5:22 PM, Mobydoll said:

Lately I've been seeing this one a lot and I wanted to rant about it. This thread seems like the place! ;)

So, I'm sure most of you have at some point written a solo post. Sent your character off on their own adventure for a moment. So you write it up, post that bit, and move on.

And I'm sure some of you have posted threads between multiple of your own characters. I do this myself--I have a small site and (1) they would run into each other, (2) it's fun, and (3) it's a way to make the site look more active. But my threads between my own characters are always last on the list. I only work on them if I don't have other people to play with, because writing with other people is the point.

Lately on another site, I have seen people join and do extensive solo threads. Which is fine... but I don't get why they joined an RP site. Your character is literally in a different country to everyone else's (granted, U.S. and Canada, so not super far), why are you on an RP site? I get posting by yourself a bit, but why join an RP site if you don't want to write with other people?

Mobydoll - have you considered that they might be shy or have had bad experiences with people? They might be very weary of who they can trust. I've had some bad experiences on twitter with people and I've also seen it happen to others so it may well be that they need to feel comfortable with people before they rp with them.

Edited by Space_Wolf
  • I read this! 1

When someone you wish you could shove into a lava pit and watch them slowly melt away into nothing likes the same things you do.

I hate this so much because I know I will never, ever roleplay with them. And I'd rather not get involved in any sort of conversation because I just cannot stand them as a roleplayer in general. But the roleplay is tempting... and it hurts inside.

Oh well. Plenty of fish in the sea as they say.

• I read this! 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's not even my site but this is driving me insane right now -

It's a brand new site and characters are being made and threads are being put up and the cbox is active with plenty of chatter about plots and this dumb guest comes in like 'is this site active' and it's taking everything in me to be like b*****, what does it look like?

• I read this! 7

• 2 weeks later...

Can you not make a giant header? Nobody wants to scroll past that every single time they refresh or go to a new page...

• I read this! 5

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin

When you get sick, you want to post but your brain is soooo mushy that you can't.

• I read this! 4

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Some of these will probably have been said already, but here goes. In no particular order of importance: 

* Fancy-Pantsy layouts that squish all the boards into crazy shapes with descriptions three boxes tall, colors that are nearly unreadable, and over-all a forum page that is messy, convoluted, and not easily read. I want an RP, not an art gallery. I don't want to be scrolling through ten pages just to see five short categories. AND I want to see when/where somebody posted in THAT particular board so I know EASILY if it's my turn or not. Don't be afraid of showing your activity on the homepage. And colors that don't even go together, with text that's barely see-able because its shade is either too similar or too small.

* RPers who complain about "lack of activity" but hold everyone else up because they don't feel like coming on more than twice a month. Then complain when you leave them behind in the thread. I have RP friends in the friggen military able to give us more of a polite "heads up" to leave 'em behind and just have summary ready when they get back so they can jump back in without being lost. Note: said complainers usually do NOT contribute in any other fashion to the site.

* Graphics in the headers, categories, board descriptions, and signatures that are eight bazillion pixels tall.

* Auto-relations to established canons. No, no, NO. Go away. Shoo. The day I had to add this to the rule book on an Anime site was the day I lost a bunch of RPers (who were busy pissing staff off by getting into godmodding wars with each other anyway). Its one thing to be a second-cousin once removed on Aunt xyz's side. It's a whole 'nother ball game with siblings/children/etc. And usually from a shipped pairing that isn't canon either on top of it.

* OCs who are carbon-copies of canon characters. Why not just buckle down and play the actual canon at that point?

* RPers who let a thread sit for weeks at a time with no notice because they "have nothing to post" instead of just saying "please skip me this turn". How hard is it to tell your thread-mates to skip your post? Seriously.

* People who join, post a question, and don't bother checking back for the answer. (Ex: OP: Where do I post my character? Member1: In the board that says Character Apps. Member 2: Here's the direct link to make it easy for you.  OP: *never logs in again) If you don't care, why bother taking the energy to type the post? Are you passive aggressively trying to tell me that my layout is too difficult to figure out?

* Guests who post in the C-box or public chat saying "hey is anybody here" even though the box CLEARLY says otherwise; then assumes we're "dead" just because there isn't somebody there at that particular instant. I'm sorry, if you can't take 5 seconds to glance at the "last post" stamp or the stupid activity bar at the bottom of the homepage, I don't want you as a member anyway.

* Players that want to do xyz plot.....but then have no desire to help drive it forward or complete it. It's like; Dude, I can't make EVERY damned plot on the site. I'm giving you the lead, take it!

• I read this! 4

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Not having the time to RP :C

• I read this! 3

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

On Sunday, 15 November 2015 at 6:34 PM, deliriums child said:

Also... I try really hard to at least make my pb look vaguely like they're in the same generation of my character. Can we stop CW casting...? Your character is 17, HOW IS SHE MONICA BELLUCCI??!  And not Monica from the 2000s or the 1990s like a fairly recent Monica pic. No. Stop this. Just stop it.  Otoh I think someone using a classic pic is perfectly awesome. I kind of want to use Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara for an OC at some point.

This. I've seen a few sites with a rule where the character age must coincide with the picture you used, give or take no more than a few years. For example, you select a picture of George Clooney when he was 40, then the character has to be aged between 35 - 45. Needs to be more common for sure. :D

• I read this! 1

I have few of the same and common pet peeve moments. 

I mostly get irritated when people try to create OCs that are overpowered. I don't mean just mary sueing it, I mean full blown this-character-is-better-than-everyone's. I saw this one person a while back that insisted on his character being able to effortlessly kill any character with his bare hands, including the main villain of the plot.

It bothers me when people try to create new heroines or villains that literally look like they're trying to replace the main characters on the show. 

This is a thing that I've seen more than once on a few RP sites. I've seen members be neglected to be spoke to or interacted with because of a large RP base. It sort of wards off any camaraderie or friendliness. However, I have seen sites where people are literally in the cbox and say something drastic to a guest or a new member, such as "Omg, a new person! *begins making out and cuddling with*" I mean, being friendly and heartfelt is fine, just don't act like the entire site and whoever visits are your significant others.

This is one that sort of parallels the whole "friendliness" thing. I really really dislike sites that have staff who are allowed to circumvent the rules and do whatever they want. This includes making characters that normal members wouldn't have been able to make. I've even seen an admin tell someone (an active member) that they did not match activity check standards even though they posted EVERY day, so they could allow their other member the canon.

I also don't like when people act COMPLETELY different when achieving a staff rank. Being a staff member doesn't give you the abilities to act like you're better than everyone else or that you get a certain privilege to act disrespectful or rude.

Last thing, for now. I really dislike when people make characters and then abandon them. This is obviously something to be mad about, but I feel like it happens too frequently to not add in here. I've had returning members who have dropped characters in the past make characters again. Some of them just drop them or immediately abandon them again.

• I read this! 3

Even more coming, folks! I have a newer one. It's whenever you're trying to talk in the OOC and someone there is trying to speak IC to you. I have a character on a website who is enemies with this person's character. They keep constantly acting like they hate me because their character hates who I play. 

Also, with RPing in posts, the whole entire chat was flooded with random tidbits of character dialogue and different information that had been currently going on in their plot. I just think that it's makes more sense to speak OOC when in an OOC instead of flooding it with character information. I think it's fun to speak about the plot or say something about your muse every now and then, but when it goes into full-fledged RPing in the OOC, it's just reached a different level.

• I read this! 2

I'm right there with you, people reading and responding to Out Of Character stuff when In Character is annoying.

Along with that... People who respond to character thoughts. Unless your character is psychic (or a technopath if my character is an android/machine) then you have no idea what my character is thinking. Even if they are able to read minds that doesn't mean other characters either don't have defences against that or aren't aware that it's going on. (I mean some characters, like Wolverine or Rogue, can resist psychic incursions. Or they may not be able to resist but they have scars that run deep and flood whomever tries to get in with pain.)

So do not write them reacting to what my character is thinking. Even if I've written it out so you could know, that doesn't mean your character does. Respect the OOC/IC divide! 

• I read this! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."