A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

54 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

I've found that people don't even usually give the benefit of ever even notifying anyone of leaving anymore. They just up and disappear leaving X number of threads hanging in the wind and RPers waiting for them to make a post.

This, too! Oh, it bugs me. I'll confess, though, I've done this once, and I'm ashamed. It was entirely unintentional, and I did go back a few times and explain and even post a little, but in the end I had to walk away because of time constraints. 

Edited by Brock
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

I'm old and tired and I don't have the will to do apps or use templates. I just want to write a post and hit Reply. So the trend for mandatory apps and templates is a peeve. I just want to write. T^T

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

3 hours ago, Zozma said:

I'm old and tired and I don't have the will to do apps or use templates. I just want to write a post and hit Reply. So the trend for mandatory apps and templates is a peeve. I just want to write. T^T

I understand your point, though I personally really like templates--at least for most sites. There are some where they look fine without it to me. The font size needs to be on the larger side (at least 11px if not 12px or 13px), dark on light backgrounds, and with a decent margin around the post so the text doesn't run right into the profile information and such.  

On a related note, I don't care for dark skins much anymore, especially when the font is some other dark color or pure white or similarly blinding color. 

• I read this! 1

On 1/30/2016 at 1:28 PM, Zozma said:

Profile templates? Or like, Posting templates, where the post itself has to be all fancy and shiznit. .....Wait do people SERIOUSLY make members individual posts follow a set format? Like, with tables and borders and pictures and stuff? What circle of hell is this?? :'(

• I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

1 hour ago, CovertSphinx said:

Profile templates? Or like, Posting templates, where the post itself has to be all fancy and shiznit. .....Wait do people SERIOUSLY make members individual posts follow a set format? Like, with tables and borders and pictures and stuff? What circle of hell is this?? :'(

Yes. There are a lot of sites where you HAVE to use the template every single post. It's kinda like... if you want the posts to look good, how about making the post window look good? It's a hell of a lot less work per post... Ugh. I'm just too old to give a shit. Time's a tickin' and I want to spend it having fun in my hobby!

• I read this! 5

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
Just now, Zozma said:

Yes. There are a lot of sites where you HAVE to use the template every single post. It's kinda like... if you want the posts to look good, how about making the post window look good? It's a hell of a lot less work per post... Ugh. I'm just too old to give a shit. Time's a tickin' and I want to spend it having fun in my hobby!

Plus Mobile. Who has time for that shit via mobile.

• I read this! 5

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Oh I know. I'm on a site like this right now (hence the complaint) and there's no way in hell I'm gonna try posting from mobile to that site. On my own site, I do it all the time. It's simple enough. But I'm not fiddling with all that BS to get out a post on a mandatory template site. About to drop it, honestly. I always think I can tolerate these things but find out in the end that it's REALLY a dealbreaker for me.

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

When people will tell you a specific race of PB isn't allowed on the site, because they don't want too many of one. I... like seriously? Regardless of where the site is set, it's an RP site; it's fictional and the amount of characters on the site aren't an accurate representation of real life where there are far more people than the amount on one forum.

• I read this! 3

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

When you get a large group of members who just won't roleplay with each other. Sure they start their own open topics, but they just won't ... roleplay with other members. Assuming everything will fall into their lap, saying great one-liners like 'finding a partner is so hard', etc. Uh, it's really not? Especially not when there's four people saying the exact same thing.

Branch out. PM each other. Jump into someone's existing open thread which needs replies rather than making another. Do anything! ROLEPLAY!

Thankfully I don't have to deal with this as much anymore. But two years ago I had a site which had only this kind of behaviour. It is just as toxic and harmful to a site's activity as someone being blatantly offensive in my opinion.

-Mini rant done-

• I read this! 5

2 hours ago, Honorem said:

"Branch out. PM each other. Jump into someone's existing open thread which needs replies rather than making another. Do anything! ROLEPLAY!" .... "It is just as toxic and harmful to a site's activity as someone being blatantly offensive in my opinion. "

PREACH! *hands up and head bowed*

• I read this! 4

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

On 6/2/2016 at 5:52 AM, Morrigan said:

Plus Mobile. Who has time for that shit via mobile.

This is why site's that make use of jcink's custom bbcode feature are nice. If they keep the template they insert simple and easy on the eyes, that is. That way all you've gotta do is wrap your post in  [ post] [ /post] tags if you do wish to use templates. I'm still another person that hates having to use dohtml templates when roleplaying, though.

Edited by Raksha
  • I read this! 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Here's two more, one more from an admin point of view.

When you suggest plots for someone's character with three of your own (yay, options!) and they only ever reply to one of those suggestions. I don't mind you telling me "No, thanks". I don't mind you saying, "Yeah, I don't have much of an idea at the moment either, only that their backgrounds are interesting, so we should ponder a future thread for them more." But don't leave me hanging. 

When events are posted or event ideas asked for, and people say they are great or interesting or they're up for anything...and then no one joins the event. Really? I worked hard to come up with this idea and write out the details. Please don't leave me as the only one posting anything for it.

• I read this! 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Brock said:

When events are posted or event ideas asked for, and people say they are great or interesting or they're up for anything...and then no one joins the event. Really? I worked hard to come up with this idea and write out the details. Please don't leave me as the only one posting anything for it.

So much this. 

Also annoying is when the post templates use hover. Because screw anyone who wants to read that on Mobile (if they're using desktop view mode) right? And even when not on mobile reading post templates that require you to hover over is obnoxious. The only way it gets worse is if they also force a scrollbar so you have to fight to hover over one bit to keep the scrollbar showing to see the next bit of the post.

I'm right there with you, people reading and responding to Out Of Character stuff when In Character is annoying.

Along with that... People who respond to character thoughts. Unless your character is psychic (or a technopath if my character is an android/machine) then you have no idea what my character is thinking. Even if they are able to read minds that doesn't mean other characters either don't have defences against that or aren't aware that it's going on. (I mean some characters, like Wolverine or Rogue, can resist psychic incursions. Or they may not be able to resist but they have scars that run deep and flood whomever tries to get in with pain.)

So do not write them reacting to what my character is thinking. Even if I've written it out so you could know, that doesn't mean your character does. Respect the OOC/IC divide!

• I read this! 6
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• 2 weeks later...

When people have a serious case of viewing the world in black and white. Big empire is evil, little kingdom is good! There is no in between!

And it's bound to have been said before, but excuses. Dude, if you're losing interest in the plot just say so. Don't give me the same excuse for two weeks and slowly fade away to never return to the site. Just damn well tell me so I'm not waiting in hope for a post! Jesus!

• I read this! 5

Along similar lines, here are 3 more.

1. When threads your in get ignored for months while that person continues to thread with another character or characters. Then, whoops!, I forgot this thread existed. Happens once or twice? Fine. Happens every single time? Even when this is an important character relationship for your character? No. Just no. Please try and rotate through the threads you owe posts for, even if it's with uneven regularity ("3 for this one, now 1 for this one, now 2 for this one".)

2. When people can IM all day every day with your character and theirs, but they can't work up the time or "muse" to post. Like, there comes a point when you can't wait on muse anymore and need to sit down and type something. (In fact, most of the time that's when my best posts are written.) 

3. This also goes for inactivity. I get that life is busy, but if it's been a month and something in a current thread of mine hinges on what happens in our thread from a month ago, please just sit down and type me 5 sentences, even. Please. It's so much more than letting a thread die while I move on with my other plots. (That irks me enough as it is.) Stuff that might have happened but isn't stated because we didn't get to it could severely impact my character and his other threads.

• I read this! 6