A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Guest Archaic Cyborg
21 hours ago, Elena said:

@Blackjack Bart: I fully agree there are limits, and in your case they had been overpassed.

But people who don't give an estimated return time are one of my pet peeves too, because one can never know if they are inactive or they quitted, and often it happens mid-plot, blocking whole threads.

Yeah, there are problems when someone relies on indefinite hiatuses. I've seen a lot of players on different hosts (some are worse than others, due to anonymity) who shun all activity requirements, yet they have time to write 2 new apps every week and/or spend all day in the c-box. Some staff have taken to calling these 'slowatuses', which is fine in small doses: an rp can't be over the instant that someone has to go AFK for a few days. Just not, you know, every month, 12 months a year.

Guest Archaic Cyborg
1 hour ago, Rune said:

Nothing makes me want to never respond again more than "Hey, RP? Hey, RP? Hey, RP?" over and over and over again.

This is similar to the nerve-grating 'are we there yet? are we there yet? When can we start?  when will you be ready?'. Damn it, people, trust the other person! Find something to occupy yourself with while you wait! Do things other than hound your partner! Getting the message through is hard. There's only so many ways you can say 'I'm not ready yet, I'll let you know of any changes'. >( >( >(

Peeve #???: when someone tries to make your game their business, as they try to teach you the ways of god-knows-what. Nothing's broken, so there's nothing to fix. If someone out there is losing sleep over an itty bitty little detail.... honestly, I can't be bothered to do anything about it. There's bound to be people who think different, do things different, and so forth. It's just not possible to appeal to everyone.

Oh god. The Repeat Hiatus posters. I could rant about these forever. I've had so many experiences with these asshats... It will turn into a rant from hell.

And the fixers. I hate them so much. Congratulations, you've been a member for 3 minutes. Surely you know better than those of us that have been here for years.

• I read this! 3

Something I've been guilty of in the past but am now much better about: ICing in the OOC chat box. I don't mind character input here and there  (ex. "Joe is such a bully." -- Joe: "I am not!") But don't full out RP in there. Take that to IMs or, better yet, a thread! :) That's what we're here for, after all.

• I read this! 4

Is it so bad or so difficult to ask someone to post an open thread in x place, in x week of the year, in order to find several interaction opportunities (the week being one when everybody is in that place)? Is it so much effort for a newcomer? If not able to make a first post... what about the ones to come?

Usually I do recommend people to join already existing threads where their character could be. But in some cases, this approach is needed and it might lead to more inclusive plots... only make an effort to post!

• I read this! 2

The "Hey RP! Hey RP! Hey RP" reminds me of this...

18wwim55ljgx8jpg.jpg

And we all know why Navi isn't around in the sequel...

And yeah, being hounded for posts sucks. If I'm not in the mood to write because I've been at work all day and I'm exhausted then demanding I post isn't going to endear yourself to me.  I'd be sorely tempted to make you wait even longer. 

As for other annoyances with roleplay...

This is somewhat picky but there are certain terms that just grate on my nerves whenever I hear them. 

Muse is one of them. (Mostly due to it being a way to say something without really saying anything at all. I mean it has like 6 different definitions depending on what someone wants it to be. )

Headcanon is also another. It took me a while to figure out what it even meant and even after I figured it out I just find it groan worthy. Probably because every time I hear it I think of headmates and otherkin. (And yeah... definitely not a fan of them at all. )

• I read this! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

People that insist their "headcanon" is canon.

I've seen entire sites straight up argue that the loose basis of their board is the "correct" version of the book/show whatever because that's what they like. The thing is vaguely sexist, that doesn't mean women are literal slaves or whatever. FFS.

• I read this! 3

My peeve isn't about my people today as much as it as myself. Can I just focus on one thing at a time!?!

• I read this! 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

When staff make their characters the special snowflake of the universe. A position unobtainable by other members. Call me crazy, but I join roleplays to have fun doing collaborative writing, not be the third wheel.

• I read this! 3

My previous sim, where I was xo, the co was a 27 year old commodore, the unwilling queen of the Atlantean people, and the long lost daughter of the commander in chief of Starfleet.

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

When people do not follow through on their word and they just leave you hanging in limbo. 

• I read this! 3

I'm peeved at myself. I've had a long bout of depression and illness after illness on top of it. I've also had a major RL loss of a family member, and while I know it takes time to grieve and also to heal from the other things, I just want to RP. I want to hop back in and get my ass in gear so my sites aren't waiting on me. I'm better on other people's sites than I am on my own, which irks me even more I think? I can easily find time and inspiration to write everywhere but my own places. ><

I'm also highly annoyed because I have a specific fandom site that has essentially ground to a halt because I need to revamp it but I can't pin down an exact time-frame in the series I want to reboot at. I'm not lacking inspiration for the series - I write the characters several other places [including one of the only other fandom games of the series] and have no issues. I'm just so damn indecisive that I can't make up my mind. I have 3 possible starting points and none of the people who will be [or may potentially be] joining are any help because they like all three possibilities as well. -headdesk-

Finally, and this has been annoying me more than any of the other issues I've been dealing with, I really really really do NOT like people who passive aggressively try to ship and be subtle and manipulative about it by how they write their character around specific others they want to ship with. The character changes in ways that don't fit the profile written when around these particular characters, basically setting them up to be a perfect love interest. I'd much prefer an honest 'I want to ship our characters, would you please give them a chance?' because I can deal with that much easier. I can either let them down gently or discuss something that might work with what I already have planned. What's bothering me aside from the not-so-subtle manipulation is the fact that both characters that are being chased are already in a ship together [and there's proof of this right in their plot threads], albeit the beginning stages - and it's a canon ship that both of us have no interest in breaking up. :/ 

• I read this! 4

People refusing to communicate and to plot, then blaming the one who favoured communication when things go wrong can be a pet peeve... Talking to the wall doesn't function, so assuming (wrong sometimes) takes the place of the talking when the others aren't willing.

• I read this! 3

5 hours ago, Elena said:

People refusing to communicate and to plot, then blaming the one who favoured communication when things go wrong can be a pet peeve... Talking to the wall doesn't function, so assuming (wrong sometimes) takes the place of the talking when the others aren't willing.

This so much, it is sometimes like people feel like you can read there minds through the internet. I wish I had that awesome super power sometimes but I don't. 

• I read this! 3

The thinking you can read their minds problem isn't isolated to the Internet. It's probably a bad combination of selfish and lazy. Like, why doesn't everyone see everything the exact same way they do, and really, why make the effort to tell them if they don't just get it.

Family, coworkers, bosses, online rp, Tabletop rp. >.<

• I read this! 4

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain