A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

My peeve is when new people come and view the site (anons or otherwise in chat) and don't talk! Like...I SEE YOU.

The anons can be spambots. And guests... why should they be talking if they don't have any question to ask? They are reading and trying to make up their mind if to join or not.

• I read this! 2

What's the best way to get a feel for the site than chatting with the existing members?

Abyss: A Supernatural Creature RP

Fci8fWC.jpg

You can find me on:

Aff.png

<p>

• Players who keep promising posts, and it never happens, yet you see them actively advertising (and accepting) new 1x1s. (this isn't you, you know who you are! <3 person who experiments on a certain bulldog.) This other partner of mine, ffs. Started back in October 2014, still waiting, still getting promises nearly every weekend. Nothing's happened beyond that, but X has time for new 1x1s. SAD PANDA.

• The whingers. 'I want to join but I want a canon role one that's important I want plot but can you give me ideas I don't like these ideas I want more btw can I have X's role? they're not around a lot I bet I can do better' etc etc.
  • 'I know this is a ____ game.. but can I bring in /insert completely different concept/game-breaking canon/OC'
  • 'Why do I have to log into the board?'
  • 'is this site active?'
  • 'players who don't read anything, especially IC posts. If.. you really hate the idea of reading, then you're in the wrong hobby~

ALL THESE THINGS HOLY F----

Like really.

Some.

Peoples.

Children.

Ugh. Really seriously though. I hate when I'm promised posts and get nothing. It hurts my heart and makes me feel like I have done some horrible awful thing wrong.

And if people don't want to like. Do the thing. Like they don't want to take plot but they don't want to generate plot and God if they suggest taking someone else's character.... Hnnng. I'm less attached to rolls like ok prove you are better in characterly but otherwise gtfo.

NO BREAKING CANON. If you can't loophole it in the answer is generally going to be no with me and I would like to say I'm very willing to play with novel ideas but you can't just demand a staffer to do a thing just bc you think it would be cool.

I support changing key phrases about activity in boxes to say WOOO ACTIVE SITE and similar ~

We all have our moments of reading comprehension fail. But people who consistently ignore your posts are not only frustrating but also HELLA RUDE.

So yes. All these things.

Yes.

Ok. //runs away

• I read this! 1

ghost_microkit_by_hyraea-d4c4grg.gif2nm3jao.jpg8120380.png?mtime=Vv_oIAAAYRw
:ghost:  2hmo3vd.png :ghost:
credits: [kitten][humerus][dragon]

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Holy Jesus. @Archaic Cyborg why in the world did you let me get away with using SO MANY COMMAS in my last couple posts for you?New pet peeve--when I Stephanie Meyer my own writing. X_____XI promise I'll do betterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

BECAUSE I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

ALSO, NO MORE WATSON GIFS FOR YOU. NONE

Guest Archaic Cyborg

ALL THESE THINGS HOLY F----

Like really.

Some.

Peoples.

Children.

Ugh. Really seriously though. I hate when I'm promised posts and get nothing. It hurts my heart and makes me feel like I have done some horrible awful thing wrong.

And if people don't want to like. Do the thing. Like they don't want to take plot but they don't want to generate plot and God if they suggest taking someone else's character.... Hnnng. I'm less attached to rolls like ok prove you are better in characterly but otherwise gtfo.

NO BREAKING CANON. If you can't loophole it in the answer is generally going to be no with me and I would like to say I'm very willing to play with novel ideas but you can't just demand a staffer to do a thing just bc you think it would be cool.

I support changing key phrases about activity in boxes to say WOOO ACTIVE SITE and similar ~

We all have our moments of reading comprehension fail. But people who consistently ignore your posts are not only frustrating but also HELLA RUDE.

So yes. All these things.

Yes.

Ok. //runs away

I love modifying cbox filters, for activity questions! =D

For people who keep post-poning posts/plot/etc.. and honestly have zero interest in X anymore, I'd rather be told flat-out they lost interest. I won't cry! I won't bring out the hatchet! It costs nothing to say 'I need to drop this plot/etc', and move on. >( no interrogation will be had, ala 'but why? Why? Why NOT'.

• Admin

This is one of my largest peeves:

When canon is spelled cannon.

It's more that the people that do so consistently seem oblivious to how misspelled it is.

• I read this! 6

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

People who can't distinguish between different cannons. That 36-pounder long gun is nothing like an M198 howitzer!

People who can't distinguish between different canons. I know the comics are different. I know the comics came first. But this is a *movie-based* site. Says so in the header. Referenced in various docs. Professor X and Wolverine are represented by James McAvoy and Hugh Jackman. How much clearer can I make it?! (Maybe allowing comic canons is the problem...)

• I read this! 4
[[there is no signature here]]

Guest Alea

One of my biggest posting related peeves is OCC passive aggression in IC posts.

For example: My character,  we'll say...Edgar...is RPing with Jane's character, Sarah. In Edgar's mind fodder he thinks about or references something he doesn't like about Sarah or something he thinks is wrong about What Sarah is saying or doing. So this is all in Edgar's head and he hasn't said or done anything to show what he's thinking. So then Jane replies and there's a good one to two paragraphs in Sarah's post that are along the lines of "If Sarah knew what Edgar was thinking, she'd day this or feel this way, because Edgar is wrong and here's all the reasons why," then ocncluding that paragraph(s) with something like, "but she didn't know, so..."

It's essentially mind reading and it adds nothing to the RP becaus Edgar can't react to any of that - Sarah didn't know what Edgar was thinking, so none of that stuff Jane just wrote actually matters or is relevant...or, you know, actually happened. It's worse when that esentially makes up their entire post and then there's only one or two tings to actually reply to and in my next post I have to spew a load of bull just to make a decent post.

Apologies up front if these come off sounding a touch angry. I don't intend for that to be the case. I'm just trying to be succinct. 

Some things that bother me are:

- when people keep promising to post but then don't.
Either post or stop making promises you have no desire/capacity to fulfill. Don't get me wrong though I know sometimes things come up and posting just has to take a backseat. But if you're constantly making these promises or statements that you're going to post and then no doing it... People are going to get tired of hearing about it. They're, quickly, going to learn that you're not at all reliable and you don't keep your word. So they're less inclined to want to write with you. (Plus constantly going on about how you're going to be posting, especially if you've been sitting in the chatbox for the last 2 hours chatting, comes off pretty disingenuous.)

- when people won't tell the truth.

Look, if you're bored and not interested in writing this scene/story/arc or whatever anymore... just tell me. I'd rather know so we can move onto something more fun. Or work on ways to make it more exciting. But I can't do that unless I know. 

And sitting back telling me nothing (or that everything is fine) does not actually help.  (As an aside, if you tell me things are fine... I will believe you because I have no way to know otherwise. Don't presume I will know when something is off. )

- when people fish for attention.

I understand that bad things happen in life. But don't drag your issues into the game all the time.

Have a rant about things once in a while? Yeah, sure... not a problem. 

Every night? No, I don't think so. Especially not if this same issue is something you've complained about before, had chances to fix/change and did nothing. If you truly wanted it fixed, to quote a friend, you'd have pulled up your big person underwear and taken care of it.

I mean, bluntly, we're a game and we're here to have fun. Not to listen to people complain about their problems, offer emotional support and/or try to help people fix their lives. We're not qualified for that sort of thing at all.

- when people don't even attempt proper spelling/punctuation/capitalization.
It looks lazy at best and at worst it's incredibly difficult to read. The sad part is that improper formatting/errors tend to stick out and can very easily distract readers (the errors shift focus from what the text is trying to convey to the mechanical formation of the text itself).

- when people use doHTML templates that mess with the text.
Messing with the line heights or letter spacing to condense words down is incredibly obnoxious. It just makes reading posts that much harder than it has to be. This is especially irksome if combined with lack of capitalization and/or punctuation. I mean not only are the words densely packed together, but you don't even get proper capitalization rules to help figure out what's going on.

- when people use skins that are hard to read.

I mean like a bright white skin with tiny/thin light grey (or black) font that's all squished together. Something that is tougher than it needs to be to read. It's like "are you purposefully trying to make it harder for people to enjoy your site?"

- playby shipping

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with people being like: "Oh, you use Chris Evans and I'm using Scarlett Johansson... we should thread together sometime."  But my issue is when that's all people talk about. (I mean seeing people chat about how cute X and Y are in the chatbox for 3 hours every night is excessive. Please stop.)

Or they constantly push and try forcing one player to write with them because their playby was in a <media> with their playby once upon a time. Their characters could be utter opposites and never get along, let alone even have reason to interact, yet because of the playbys they want this hook up, I mean interaction. 

• I read this! 7
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

- when people don't even attempt proper spelling/punctuation/capitalization.

It looks lazy at best and at worst it's incredibly difficult to read. The sad part is that improper formatting/errors tend to stick out and can very easily distract readers (the errors shift focus from what the text is trying to convey to the mechanical formation of the text itself). 

That.

Worse, when people go out of their way to do it! What, exactly, is the point of using all lower-case letters? It's something I understand from a six-year-old who can't do capitals very well, but why would you do that on a typing program that would almost certainly automatically correct it? Why would you go out of your way to look juvenile and incompetent?

• I read this! 4
[[there is no signature here]]

• 2 weeks later...

My peeve is when new people come and view the site (anons or otherwise in chat) and don't talk! Like...I SEE YOU.

What's the best way to get a feel for the site than chatting with the existing members?

I enjoy doing this. I probably won't join, but even if I'm not really looking for now, I might join later.

As for talking with current members, I disagree. That's pretty much my last step before joining, after I've fully explored the site. I don't want any awkward "Well, nice talking to you, but I don't agree with rule such-and-such, so bye."

Also, if I'm exploring a site, I want to explore, not keep stopping to talk. Chatting is also pretty impractical if I'm on my phone.

• I read this! 2

dcsEFuW.jpg

The SGC is part of the group, Federation Sim Fleet.

I'm guilty of that, too. I won't usually chat in the cbox until I at least have some idea that I might be joining. I don't want to give false hope. Usually the first thing I say in the cbox is a question about some rule or plot or other.

• I read this! 4

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

I too have been known to lurk on a site-even sites I have no intension of joining. I spend a lot of time hovering around site's I've advertised on-sometimes just watching the GIF wars in the chat-box. I get the annoyance at knowing they are there and just wanting them to talk, but I also know somethings they just want to browse and enjoy themselves.

Peeves:

All lowercase letters annoy the complete heck out of me. What is the point? It doesn't look neater, it doesn't make it smaller, really. It's just... Annoying! On top of that, I'm dyslexic, so it makes it harder for me to read when you've also got clashing background and text, or, goodness forbid, a horrible er, elaborate font. Yes, I understand you want to make your site pretty, I get that you think it looks awesome, but at least give others a chance to use something that it easier on the eyes.

Not updating your advertisement, like, ever. I've seen your ad, and I was promised that you not only were brand new, but had plenty of open positions available. Only, now that I'm on your site, I find out that not only has it been going for X number of years, but I'm restricted as to what kind of character I can make. (I swear, one site had banned redheaded Gryffindors, pure blood Ravenclaws, and were no longer accepted Quidditch players of any age.)

(Feels I may have been guilty of cannon V.S. canon thing...)

((((Edited to correct the spelling of Dyslexic >.> ))))

• I read this! 2

• 2 weeks later...

That moment when someone tells you after you plotted everything out. I am sorry I don't think our styles mesh well together, without saying what it exactly is. This makes me very self conscious because they did not even give me the chance to adapt my style and I was really excited about the plot. 

• I read this! 1