Why did you start rping?

Honestly for me it's been so long that I don't remember why I started or how I came across it, but I know why I continue to do it! I'm an aspiring writer. I don't have as much published as I'd like, but I have my fair share of positive reviews on fan fiction. And role playing provides this really invaluable skill when it comes to getting into a character's head and learning how to express them.

So, why did you start and why do you continue?

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

muEzlN.jpg

Because writing with others is more fun than writing alone. You have the opportunity to communicate, to get advice and ideas on plot points and character development, and brainstormed plots are better than those any of us could have come with individually, because they have all the best from each side.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 2

I started roleplaying because I tricked myself into it.

Way back when I first started RPing on Neopets in a time long ago, there were these things called "guilds." They were just like little clubs, basically, where you could chat with other folks interested in the same thing. Well, I noticed that guilds that had RP as a feature tended to be more successful. So, I decided to include RP as a feature of my guild.

However, I had no idea what "RP" actually was.

Either way- it worked! People joined! And then everyone started sitting around, getting bored, and someone wondered: "So when are we going to start the RP?"

And like 11 year old me mentally went "oh, shit. O.O"

And then I said: "Just go ahead and start!"

And so folks did! I watched for a little while, and after I figured out what they were doing I was like "WOAH! This looks like fun!" and I joined in, too. :)

• I read this! 4
  • LOL 2

I started tabletop RPing before forum RPing, but I got into both in entirely different ways. I got into tabletop RPing when I was at a convention, I was 13 and it was a fantasy convention. One of the rooms had this roleplay set up, it's called Fabula and it was a group of 5 + a DM playing. It worked that you got handed a pre-made character, played until you died (which could happen fairly quickly) and then someone new got to play in your place. I loved it, and it had me hooked. So I went and bought myself Dungeons and Dragons books and corralled my friends into playing with me. 

A year later I was bored one summer, all my friends were on vacation so I was just browsing the internet. I used to be a huge anime and manga fan so I was just browsing around looking at Bleach related things when I stumbled upon a Bleach RP forum. I had no idea what it was at first, but after taking a look around I was like "Oh it's kinda like tapletop RPing only over forums! I should try this." Looking back at it that forum wasn't the best place to start, it had an enormous app, and writers who could and would write a thousand words for a post. Tiny noob me was pretty intimidated. 

Why I got into both? The storytelling element, I love playing around telling stories with others

Edited by Freya
  • I read this! 3

sig.png

The question was WHY, and I have replied it. But some are replying also HOW, so here I am.

I have written my own stories for a lifetime until discovering RPGs, but in my mother tongue. Well, one of the stories was co-written with my deskmate in Uni, some others were discussed when written with my highschool friends... but mostly, written alone. 

I discovered RPGs in August 2009, by mistake. Until then, I had no ideas something like this exists.

I had stumbled on an alternative history of the Byzantine Empire, written as character extras, I think now, for a game which had a video dimension too, while I was researching for Byzantine history timelines for my Viking story. Or so I guess. But it took some time to understand that it was an AU timeline, and I asked on an international discussion forum where I had some friends who were into online games in general, sending the link, what this might be. I received the answer, I asked if there are interactive stories by writing only and I got the link to RPGD to choose my game... The rest is history... 

Why did I start it? Because I loved the idea, and because I wanted to challenge myself to see if I can write literarily in English. It is not the same thing as writing technical-economical projects and corresponding with the European Union, what I did extensively at work...

Why do I like RPs vs writing alone? I like having a group of likeminded people, loving writing, from all countries in the world, to write together, to bounce ideas together, to develop a better story than each one of us alone. Friendships are created in the meantime, we learn new things one from the other... and it is much more interesting than writing alone.

• I read this! 2

I roleplay because I don't write for myself. I'm very insular, to the extent that I keep most things locked up inside my mind instead of executing them or putting them on paper. Roleplay forces me to not do that. 

• I read this! 3

I started because I stumbled across an RP site and was so excited by the prospect of creating a character being able to control what they do! And other people controlled their characters and you don't know what they're gonna do! It was super exciting and scratched that RP itch that Baldur's Gate had created.

Edited by Kit the Human
  • I read this! 3

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I actually never had any desire to RP. Then a friend convinced me to join her RP and I was a little hooked from there. That was more than a decade ago. I've taken breaks here and there because of burn out or real life issues but I always come back. Probably always will.

• I read this! 1

I started flat out to explore my sexuality in a somewhat safe place. For sure it wasn't the best way but it really helped me get to know myself and get a chance to be who I thought was the "perfect person" Now? I do it just to stay creative! 

• I read this! 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• 2 weeks later...

I always wrote stories and fanfic when I was young. And Sailor Moon was my jam. I was about 11 or 12 when I was on Neopets and I discovered a Sailor Moon RP Guild and I was hooked. I really loved the social aspect of it, and I grew up in the country where all my friends lived miles from me, so when I wanted to be social I went on the internet. But now I could be social and write???? My mind was blown and I've been hooked every since.

So why do I still do it almost fifteen years later? I find playing with other people to be challenging and stimulating. We all have a story we want to write, but writing it with others allows you to see perspectives you otherwise wouldn't and I find that very appealing. And hella fun!

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

On 3/11/2017 at 4:16 AM, Gothams Reckoning said:

I started roleplaying because I tricked myself into it.

Way back when I first started RPing on Neopets in a time long ago, there were these things called "guilds." They were just like little clubs, basically, where you could chat with other folks interested in the same thing. Well, I noticed that guilds that had RP as a feature tended to be more successful. So, I decided to include RP as a feature of my guild.

However, I had no idea what "RP" actually was.

Either way- it worked! People joined! And then everyone started sitting around, getting bored, and someone wondered: "So when are we going to start the RP?"

And like 11 year old me mentally went "oh, shit. O.O"

And then I said: "Just go ahead and start!"

And so folks did! I watched for a little while, and after I figured out what they were doing I was like "WOAH! This looks like fun!" and I joined in, too. :)

I started on Neopets, too! I found the forum on the site, kind of just looking around and I was hooked immediately. I remember when I was constantly refreshing and eagerly away people to respond. Then I found a partner on there and we started onexone. Then I found forums and that was really the end of a productive life there! 

As to why? It's a wonderful, creative experience. I love the collaboration and the suspense of not knowing how another's character will respond! It's different than doing it all in my head by myself. But I also write alone. Sometimes it's just not as satisfying, which can be troublesome if you want to publish work! 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

PLAGUED

Post-Apoc | Supernatural | Zombies

I was really big in the Boyband fanfic scene when I was in high school. I wrote a TON of stories both shorts and long series. I was contacted one day by a person who read one of my stories. She asked if I had ever role played and I had no idea what it was. After getting some details, I ended up joining a rp game on Livejournal. I also joined several on Yahoogroups. You could say the rest was history because I followed the same person from Livejournal to Greatestjournal. I had a lot of fun there until the site died. I went on to Insanejournal but there was just too much immature and drama. It got really bad. A person I wrote with on IJ suggested a Jcink site and at first, I didn't know how rp worked on a message board so I gave up. Over a year ago, I had enough of the bullies on IJ and decided to Jcink again. I've never looked back.

• I read this! 1

q6omUI8.gif
Wanted & Canons

I had a RL friend who did it.  We RPed for a few months on her site long ago (had dial up back then), and then she had to close it down.  I didn't RP for a few years and then one day I was on a forum and we started up an RP section.  One thing lead to another, and here I am 10+ years later. ;)

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

I don't even consider myself a writer, and I don't even write in real life, but through role play I can write with other people, and come up with creative plots and characters I'd never had thought of by myself. It's also so much more of a game rather than sitting in front of a computer and writing a novel. I enjoy the bonds too. 

• I read this! 1

Because I was bored on a fandom discussion board and started poking around the rp section. I had no idea what the concept even was, but it looked like so much fun that I jumped in headfirst and never looked back. IDK if I'd call myself a real roleplayer back then, I was just doing it because it was popular(and to do things in my fandoms that didn't happen, so wish fulfillment), but I'm glad I got into it even if I was horrible for a long time, lol. 

• I read this! 1