Wanted Ads

Samantha

I was just wondering how you all do wanted ads on your site. What's in the template you use (if you use one)? Do they help your site in any way at all, like do new members join and take wanted ads as opposed to creating their own charries, are people more active because they get their wanted ads picked up?

We have a very basic thread for wanted ads, and it's basically just a list and nothing seems to get taken and I think that how they're presented has something to do with it. 

azqw7jG.png

2 minutes ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

Having all wanted ads in one thread doesn't work, in my experience.

Yeah, I don't think it does either, lol. That's why I'm trying to see how other people do it before I think about doing anything to ours. 

azqw7jG.png

Hiya! 

At ATO we have a forum for wanted ads (sits next to application, claims and OOC area). Within this, there is a separate forum called "open threads" where members can post opens - this isn't really used much. But many people just post their own thread of characters/plots they would want, and often existing members will pick them up if they sound interesting to them. This is great to see for us, because it means members are getting the plots and stories they want. I don't think new members, at least on ATO, pick up wanted ads. Usually, I find them creating their own characters first and then once they feel comfortable with us all they're more likely to pick up a wanted ad. Generally I think they work for hyping up plots and getting different members to interact with each other on a plot that means something to them :)

• I read this! 2

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord

What's in the template you use (if you use one)?

I've never used templates! People know what they're looking for when they make a wanted ad. I don't think a template would assist them.

And like Suzi, I use a forum to house all wanted ads.

Do they help your site in any way at all, like do new members join and take wanted ads as opposed to creating their own charries, are people more active because they get their wanted ads picked up?

When I look at new sites, I always check on Wanted Ads because they're a great way to work out what kind of plots are going on. (Just one way of course.) I won't necessarily pick a wanted ad up, I prefer to see how well I get along with the community before I make that kind of commitment. Once you're a part of the community, I think taking up wanted ads is a fun way to help other people further their plot and to keep you engaged with what everyone is up to.

It is also, I think, super exciting when your wanted ad gets picked up and that naturally promotes extra activity. Assuming everyone gets along of course.

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

What's in the template you use (if you use one)?

I don't use a template, but I always advise people to talk a little about the characters they want. Put in their position, an anything they have set about the character (age, profession, etc). At least some information to make the wanted ad interesting.

Do they help your site in any way at all, like do new members join and take wanted ads as opposed to creating their own charries, are people more active because they get their wanted ads picked up?

A well made wanted ad is very helpful for people who want to join the site but want to make sure they will have some interaction, as they know at least one character will interact with that one, instead of running  the risk of making a new character and it not really fit in. As for the members who  have their wanted ads picked up, I do usually see an increase in activity, as they have at least one plot line developing with that wanted.

We have a very basic thread for wanted ads, and it's basically just a list and nothing seems to get taken and I think that how they're presented has something to do with it. 

I would say that having just one thread won't be very helpful. I would advise at least one thread per player, where they could list all of the characters they want, and add in some information. A simple list won't really help much. The people looking at the wanted ads need to have something to sink their teeth in. Even if there's not a template, something basic about the wanted character and the plots they can expect would be more helpful in getting people to pick them up.

• I read this! 1

Shady McShaderson

I have a subforum for wanted ads. Each member who has a wanted ad, posts it in a separate thread. Because people can further ask for additional details in that thread... Every person has their own way to list the details for the ad and the details for the plot. Some are taken, some are later written as NPCs if not taken in time for the plot. 

• I read this! 3

They get their own forum. Each member can do their own thread with all of theirs in them, or separate threads with specific groups. We don't dictate that deep. XD we have a universal template available if people want it, but don't require it.

I know I'm much more likely to join a site if there's wanteds or adoptables. Having some details figured out already and basically being guaranteed threads is very helpful.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

We will have a sub-board when it opens, under the character sheets forum where people post their initial apps. The plan is that everyone has a thread where they post all the characters they'd normally play as NPCs in the hope that someone will be interested in taking them up. Having rped on twitter, there is not a great deal of scope to put up wanted ads for characters because you can't put a lot of info in them (and usually anything like that easily gets lost unless you pin the tweet, or have an off-site link to them), so I am looking forward to doing it this way. (A lot of the problems on twitter is down to miscommunication, missing things and not being able to make things clear on it.)

As far as templates go, we do have one, but it's just a simple one which people can fill in with the name of the character, race, and some background information on what they'd like for it, and a place holder for a suggested playby if they have one. I like to keep things simple as possible. I do like looking through wanted ads because they give me some idea of how my characters can interact with other characters and if the concept of a wanted character is interesting enough for me, then I consider taking it on (but that depends on how active the writer making the request for the character is, and if I like the site enough to want to stick with it. I don't want to make a character for some and then end up disappointing them, or take on a role which I hardly get a chance to use.)

One problem I can foresee is what will happen to the character of the wanted ad if the person who takes them on can no longer write them, for whatever reason? Does the character belong to the person who requested it, or to the one who wrote it? That's something that needs to be made clear in the rules of the site before people post the ads/take them on.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Icewolf said:

One problem I can foresee is what will happen to the character of the wanted ad if the person who takes them on can no longer write them, for whatever reason? Does the character belong to the person who requested it, or to the one who wrote it? That's something that needs to be made clear in the rules of the site before people post the ads/take them on.

Probably a better discussion for a new thread. I know I've seen one forever ago but it's been a while.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

So after hearing how most people seem to do it the same way I think we're going to implement a new wanted ad system thing in the new year. As much as I love how you did it @Morrigan , I think we're going to stick with individual threads people can post just so the staff doesn't have to upkeep it as much. 

Thank you guys for your input <3

(And yes, I think that would make a new thread, because it's something I go back on forth on in my mind)

azqw7jG.png

• Admin

Well my system is a combination system technically. A little different because it was made in pages but they are a list that links to an individual informational thing.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

@Morrigan's post reminded me that I did something similar once. I made a gallery of wanted ads, with the ads being pulled from the forum (not automatically). The cool thing about it was that you could filter the gallery by say, race, taken or open, gender, group/individual (whatever you like!) It used the Isotope javascript.

Raven has already made a character list if you're daunted by the javascript. (Live preview.)

I appreciate that it might be too much work, especially if your community makes a lot of wanted ads. But I think that it helps user's find a character that they might be interested in.

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

Mine was basic because I wanted it to be basic. I could have made it more thorough but I wanted making a wanted ad to be easy. They post it and it adds to the overall list that links back to the important details.

Like I said. If I have to hunt I will give up.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png