Should staff attempt to RP with all members?

Kit the Human

As an admin and a member, I do not think that admins should try to write with every single member. I don't, I don't expect my co-admins to do it either, and I would never expect another site's admin to RP with me just because. I'm a firm believer of working in people into plots where they can fit, but when you get down to the very basics, admins are RPers too and as such, we have some styles we click with and some styles we don't. It's just the fact of it. I do probably have the most RP threads out of all of my players, and I know I have the most characters, which means that I do touch threads with just about everyone.HOWEVER, I am not actively RPing with all 40 members on my site because that is just chaos. 

As a staffer, perhaps connecting people together is a better role instead of RPing with everyone. You're just going to overwhelm yourself and lose interest if you spread yourself too thin. 

• Agree 2

Ad.png

As an admin: I feel staff should be OPEN to roleplaying with every member, which doesn't mean they have to actively roleplay with everyone. When I had a site open, I would offer new members a choice of all of my characters (at least one in every member group) and come up with a few possible plots. But I wouldn't and couldn't force myself to just write with everyone if we didn't mesh or they didn't want to.

As a member, I'm in the 'as long as SOMEONE is writing with me, I'm staying'. It doesn't matter if this someone is a member of staff, if I have plots, I'm in.

• Agree 3

Shady McShaderson

I do not expect every member to write with every other member. I do not expect every member to RP with me, or to enjoy RPing with me. I have no desire to pressure people to RP with people that they don't want to, for whatever reason.

As such, I won't make a special effort to RP with everyone. I will absolutely RP with you when you join, because "don't knock it til you've tried it" but if we don't gel for whatever reason. It doesn't help them or me to spend energy on a plot or RP that I'm just not enjoying. I'll just feel gross and start dreading having to do my replies. Not a good thing for a staffer or member to feel!

I like what @Jones said about it being misleading. I sincerely believe that we all have different values and get different things from RPing and we all benefit from being honest about that and recognising when values just don't align. 

Granted, some of those values mean....making a special effort to RP with all of your members to craft a cohesive story 😄 so I'm not pretending that people who ensure they RP with all members are in the wrong, by all means. It's just something that I find detrimental to my experience as both writer and staffer.

• Agree 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I definitely like to put in the effort myself as much as possible, but given the number of threads I have, it's a bit difficult sometimes if there is no good reason for interaction and I shouldn't actually be taking new threads yet.  A lot of our new members take canons that already fit into the storyline (or we work with them during the application process so their OCs will have sufficient interactions) so it's just kind of natural to offer to rp to further the story.  I do try to rp with all the members at some point, but I focus mainly on ensuring that the new members do have people to post with.  I don't think it's an obligation of an administrator to post with new members, and I must admit I'm a little wary throwing two unrelated characters together if we cannot determine a particular reason for the interaction if only because I don't think they are quite as engaging for either rper and that's not the greatest first impression for the new member.   That being said, this isn't ALWAYS the case. It can work out marvelously.  I'd rather risk a thread be flat and be welcoming, but  I feel it's more important to ensure a new members character becomes integrated into the board, is getting threads etc, whether with me, my co-admin, or the board members.   What I do think can be very off putting to new members, though, is when threads are offered and then two posts in the threads become inactive because then it really does seem like an empty gesture and  I think that can be more damaging than members/staff not offering to thread in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

royals_rebels.gif

I don't think a staff member should roleplay with every member, but I do think a staff member should roleplay with their members. I say this because I've seen staff members only roleplay with other staff members, or only occasionally roleplay with "favorite" members. While it is obvious that a certain level of favoritism comes with writing as there are writing styles we're bound to like more than others, giving people a chance to write with us and by extension, giving your members a chance to write with you - could be seen as courteous. You might even enjoy it. 😛

• Agree 1

No. Staff are members of the site just like everyone else and should not be forced to roleplay with people they have no chemistry with. If you don't enjoy writing with someone and you force it, it's going to be a terrible story and no one will really have fun.

Been there, done that.

• Like 2

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, featherstone said:

I'll help people find a thread, create events where they can meet others, I'll play NPCs whenever needed, however I won't force interactions if they don't fit (or if I don't have the time for so many threads).

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, eleholly said:

As a staffer, perhaps connecting people together is a better role instead of RPing with everyone. You're just going to overwhelm yourself and lose interest if you spread yourself too thin. 

I agree with both of these statements! Staff shouldn't be obligated to rp with everyone - that's not possible and you can end up neglecting your other duties in the process. However, I do think that staff are obligated to help their members find other characters they can plot or thread with, whether that be by creating some sort of general thread or discord channel or actively helping others find ways to be engaged. Sometimes your members, new or old, can be a lil shy in finding avenues to get into the rp, and a little staff push or plug can help them. It doesn't have to be much, and it doesn't have to be a lot of effort on staff's part. But just being open to help make connections is what I feel is a staff responsibility.

• Agree 4

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Yes, but not as soon as they join up. It should be a more organic process and then, if you don't have a lot going on, you approach the people you might have missed in the past. Avoids burnout AND spreads the love!

IKiE2z.png

It's a nice ideal to strive for but not necessarily one we should expect to achieve.

• Like 2

yjHUyz0.png

I would personally try as best I could, especially when the community is still tiny, but as it gets larger I'd probably have to pull back a bit. However, if they want to plot then I'd be happy to do so and RP with them down the line.

• Agree 1

promoimg.png 

I try to write at least one thread with every new member that joins my sites, particularly when the site is just getting up and running. But eventually it becomes too much for me to handle. I will admit that I sometimes get members joining that aren't necessarily bad at writing, but I personally don't have much interest in plotting with their character(s). Other people do, so they aren't alone and left on the sidelines! But in situations like that I just can't make myself write an entire thread with someone that I don't really want to write or I'm interested in. I just end up procrastinating and that never looks fair when you're replying to other people, lol.

From the perspective of joining a site as a member, I don't expect staff to write with me constantly. As long as I'm not being ignored by them in OOC chat, I don't really mind!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

I think interaction through chat and keeping site wide plots going is more important than trying to roleplay with everyone that joins the game. At least when it comes to an active game. I tried to roleplay with everyone and I am still in over 20 threads. I am beating myself up just trying to involve myself with everyone. We support a welcoming environment and new people that seek to be involved are always brought into the mess. XD So I do have members that make up for where I can't give another piece.

• Agree 2

Oh god, no.

I think staff should be welcoming and friendly and helpful! But staff members are also members who are doing this as a hobby, and the entire point of a hobby is having fun. The instant fun becomes an obligation is the instant it stops being fun and people check out.

I don't expect members to play with people they don't want to play with, and I don't expect my staff, or myself, to either. I don't have time to play with everyone, for one--life is busy and it's difficult enough sometimes to keep up with my favorite threads! For two, I'm just not interested in every plot or character that comes along. Sometimes, I just don't mesh with someone. That someone may be perfectly awesome, that someone may be someone I love chatting with, even! I just may not like threading with them for whatever reason. And that's just how it be.

Everyone chooses who they want to play with, and I wouldn't have it any other way. As long as everyone is friendly, then that's all I ask for.

• Love 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

Yes and no.

I have 4 PCs and also moderate site-wide events alongside my other 3 staff members. We have plots that are both site-wide as well as focused to certain areas of the game.

Do I try to shove my PC at everyone? No, even if I'm a friggin' threadwhore and won't say no if you offer to write with any of my peeps. Like, yeah ... always ... let's write! 

Do I try and get new players involved in on-going plots? Do I like to play matchmaker between players? Do I make sure everyone has a place in my plots, big or small? Yes. Yes. And more yes. That's my job, isn't it? As site administrator, story teller, moderator, passionate all-knowing person about the world I am building and the stories we're making? So, yes. Usually, those folks who don't engage with other players, who don't take staff up on a storyline, and who don't want to be moderated at all ... don't stick. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD