A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

People who make original characters that are: 

- siblings to major canons (made even worse if that canon is supposed to be an only child or they pull the unknown/lost sibling thing).

- a child of a major canon (especially in cases where a child of a canon would make no sense/be impossible).

- dating a canon.

- a hybrid of two canons (or one canon and an original)

No. 

Just No.

• Agree 4
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

14 hours ago, VirusZero said:

People who make original characters that are: 

- siblings to major canons (made even worse if that canon is supposed to be an only child or they pull the unknown/lost sibling thing).

- a child of a major canon (especially in cases where a child of a canon would make no sense/be impossible).

- dating a canon.

- a hybrid of two canons (or one canon and an original)

No. 

Just No.

YES! Oh my gosh. Like it's just general roleplay etiquette that you would/should ask before doing these sorts of things. If we wanted this story like...there would likely be a want ad for it! I run a Fandom Next Generation site and all the 'kids' that we want are listed in the canons page but people will still show up and register a character with the last name and claim they're a canons kid it's like.... you clearly didn't read the plot...or the rules...or the canon page. -_- 

I had a member who wanted a face claim so badly they were trying to pressure a member into letting them make their character's twin despite a secret twin making no sense with her history.  This is a huge pet peeve for sure.

I also agree with members that flake without warning because I've been caught up in super intense plots/story lines and someone just flakes and you're left trying to figure it out/not sure if maybe they're coming back. I really wish if something is come up or people get bored just like say something it makes lives so much easier! 

• Agree 1

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

People who assume that you aren't interested in something just because you've been forced to be away for a week (say, your computer needs fixing, you've been ill, a family crisis has suddenly swooped in and forced you to be away...) You've stated that you can't be around properly for a while, and they still give the impression that you should be there, writing long responses, etc. That in itself is annoying enough, but...

The icing on the cake has to be that you were waiting ages for them to start/give you information, etc, but they choose the moment when you can't be around to start it.

I'd understand the problem if a person was doing loads of lengthy replies to people for hours and hours at a time, but a few messages telling folks when you think you'll get the computer back and a few one liners shouldn't warrant that assumption.

Edited by Icewolf
  • Agree 2

Fluid time doesn't mean what you think it means. It means that a character can be in several threads written at the same time, but happening in different moments of the story. It does not mean that in a thread, each character states that it happens in a different moment - some before another event, some after said event, as it suits them better.

• I read this! 2

- People sensitive with headcanon, who cannot handle that it's incorrect. Main kingdom on a site of mine is was once evil (black and white morality) by a few people. I said no, there are good elements to that kingdom as well as bad. Cue shitstorm where two members call it disgusting that there are good characters from that kingdom, and accuse me of favouring that kingdom. Apparently me saying that good people can hail from there made me an imperialist.

- Your post, from their perspective. You know, you introduce the NPCs, advance the scene, think of the ideas. All your partner does in response is react inside their heads to your post and offer one line of dialogue at the end, effectively leaving it up to you to do everything all over again. I admit my core group who are awesome at plotting spoil me, to the point I cannot stand lack of input anymore. It's supposed to be collaborative after all.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

On 13/02/2017 at 6:45 PM, Honorem said:

- Your post, from their perspective. You know, you introduce the NPCs, advance the scene, think of the ideas. All your partner does in response is react inside their heads to your post and offer one line of dialogue at the end, effectively leaving it up to you to do everything all over again. I admit my core group who are awesome at plotting spoil me, to the point I cannot stand lack of input anymore. It's supposed to be collaborative after all.

This is one of the biggest muse killers for me. I can only hold up both ends for so long before the whole thing collapses. If I wanted this kind of story writing I'd be doing my own novel.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I've noticed a member who seems to like writing about children going through struggles. It kind of disturbs me, not gonna lie. Not because it's done in the edgiest or seemingly very anime manner. Well, okay maybe that's the main reason. The other being... they're writing about horrible things happening to children.

I don't know how else to explain it... It's just... nope.

• Agree 1

On 2/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, Dusty said:

This is one of the biggest muse killers for me. I can only hold up both ends for so long before the whole thing collapses. If I wanted this kind of story writing I'd be doing my own novel.

This. Yes. As laid-back as we are at our site, we've also spoiled each other on making sure we collaborate and check with each other. I've gone through this and watched some of my closest friends go through this, holding both ends and feeling spread thin. There is no way I'd let that happen again. It's the more obvious pet peeve out of quite a few that I have, and it's one I totally judge people on.

4 hours ago, Sil said:

Recently, I've noticed a member who seems to like writing about children going through struggles. It kind of disturbs me, not gonna lie. Not because it's done in the edgiest or seemingly very anime manner. Well, okay maybe that's the main reason. The other being... they're writing about horrible things happening to children.

Eeeee. This goes way beyond pet peeve and kinda into WTF right here. I had a small child in a plot who got kidnapped, but I only went through with this plot with people I trusted. No harm comes to that kid or else. >.< I would not be comfortable with edgy / anime manner of treating very young characters in RP. It's one thing for a much older character to have these memories of struggling as a kid, but it's another to treat these issues post by post as a young child character.

It goes right along with watching tv shows or movies that include that. I almost noped out of a few shows when they went too close on that topic, and most definitely noped out of a movie that had a baby born as a zombie. Fuck that. 

• Agree 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

16 hours ago, Sil said:

I can agree with this. I once turned down someone who made an oc sister to a canon character (without asking, of course - they just turned up one day on twitter, and at the time, I was rping my canon as a child and theirs was, too) and responded to an air-tweet I was doing. Being a sap, I replied. Thing is the other writer soon tried to turn it into a non-innocent interaction. It weirded me out no end - I told them I didn't write smut and didn't write incest (it didn't matter the age of the characters involved at all!) I ended up blocking them because even sometime later it still bothered me.

Sadly, they did succeed in getting some people to write weird stuff like that with them, child abuse, incest, doing stuff to make their character act in an abusive way towards them - and I couldn't believe that people were daft enough to do it, especially when the writer said she was 13. That's the main reason why I refuse to write smut with people even when it's not done in a way that disgusts me because unless you know someone in real life you won't know their true age.

I've also seen a writer continuously make their character ill in some way, usually types of mental illness (dementia, eating disorders, etc) and write it as what could only be described as a parody and I refused to write with them when they were doing that. (I'm not sure what made it worse, the parody, the mental illness itself, or how it made me personally feel about it because they were things that I and my partner had experienced with his elderly mother who'd died recently (and the situation of which contributed to his illness. ) If your character reacted badly to things their character did, they would then blow up out of character.

One thing I have become tired of is when a writer does the same thing with their character over and over, such as offer food they've baked to everyone. (How many times can you have the same sort of interaction before it bets boring? I now ignore it unless I can turn the topic away from it.)

• Agree 2

Hand holding.

Influx of like 10 new members, cool. You'd think at least two of them would pair up and thread right? Wrong.

Bunch of open threads and no one joining each other's or even discussing the possibility.

Would be nice if the majority of new members actively plotted amongst each other and engaged in fellows of the community. Because I have enough active threads as it is and I can't hand hold everyone. Besides that, I'm tired of extending the olive branch only to be ditched a week or so later.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

People who feel the need to include me in drama they are going through on another site. Like...are you surprised? You knew how this is going to end! I don't ask for it. I don't want it. No, complaining about this site and person won't gain you access on mine, those bridges are burnt.

Just don't. Move on!

• I read this! 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

When you're at work and you get tags and you reeeeally want to reply but .... you're at work 😭

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

This is something I'm currently dealing with and I honestly never thought this was a pet peeve because I've never ever seen a writer do this before. 

People who change their characters history (as they see fit) in a way that completely contradicts everything they've previously been writing. I have no issue with 'surprises' like oh you thought you were a single fun-loving bachelor oh shit, your ex actually had your kid and you just found out. That's fun or w/e but these were blatant contradictions totally changing the character's history I find that extremely annoying and confusing. Especially when it messes up what's already happened. 

I.e Like someone's terminally single hasn't had a boyfriend in ten years, is going to die alone. A week later JUST KIDDING they're actually happily married with three kids. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

21 hours ago, Crossroads Demon said:

This is something I'm currently dealing with and I honestly never thought this was a pet peeve because I've never ever seen a writer do this before. 

People who change their characters history (as they see fit) in a way that completely contradicts everything they've previously been writing. I have no issue with 'surprises' like oh you thought you were a single fun-loving bachelor oh shit, your ex actually had your kid and you just found out. That's fun or w/e but these were blatant contradictions totally changing the character's history I find that extremely annoying and confusing. Especially when it messes up what's already happened. 

I.e Like someone's terminally single hasn't had a boyfriend in ten years, is going to die alone. A week later JUST KIDDING they're actually happily married with three kids. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Perhaps not this, but I have had people flip their character to something completely new and without warning plenty of times, and by that, I mean a completely different character, not just back history. There's also the issue where people delete a character, too. (It wouldn't be so bad if there was warning, but usually there isn't.)

'Oh you guys have short apps here, I'm used to writing way more!'

Cool story. You can write as much as you want, but acting like god's gift certainly won't earn any points.

'Oh you guys have short posts'

So sorry.

'Your posts are too long'

Oh the horror of people being enthusiastic about replies.

'I need some more threads'

-Members suggest multiple open threads whose plots are incredibly relevant to their character and a very good fit-

'Meh maybe'

Ok then.

• I read this! 6
  • Agree 3