Members who only RP with one person

Anonymous

On a site I used to be on, we had what the members referred to as "The ___ & ___ Show." They were both admins and they exclusively RPed with each other, for the most part, even going so far as to say they both dreaded RPing with other people. Eventually, the site died and was made private. It became a turnoff for all of the members and everyone talked about how the only reason they stuck around was for the plots they'd created. It takes a lot for me to dislike people, but I strongly disliked both admins. :| 

We watched the site die a slow, painful death, as members dropped off like flies, never to be seen or heard from again. They always wondered why the site died and I had half a mind to tell them to look in the mirror. Not to mention, there was constant drama and the environment wasn't at all welcoming and the admins adopted a "well, fuck 'em" policy, lmao.

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 1

I can't give you the white picket fence, and if I did, you'd set it on fire.

If it's not having a detrimental impact on the community (and it doesn't sound like it is?) and they're having fun, why force them to branch out?

If it is having a detrimental impact (you're the best judge of that) then it's time to have a conversation. 

If their character is in a unique role that they're not really using to the fullest extent, you could have a 'use it or lose it' conversation. Much like Morrigan suggested.

Overall though, it sounds like they're having fun doing their thing and it's not harming anyone. -shrugs-

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:18 AM, Anonymous said:

How do you feel about members who only RP with one person? They might have one or two threads with other people, but they're rarely finished and never really lead to plots but are just one off threads? 

And a followup question: how would you feel about a member like this taking up limited spots in terms of special characters or rare power type things?

Anonymous poster hash: feabe...487

1. Sometimes it can feel a little bit exclusive when one person only RPs with another. However, there is no rule - at least on my own site - that states you *have* to roleplay with everyone. Without bringing it up directly, I would likely offer the plots/threads every now and again with hope they'll eventually infiltrate into the wider member-base. With big sites integrating with a lot of people can be difficult, and I feel like as we on ATO are a smaller community, members are more comfortable threading with pretty much everyone! 

2. I think if they are taking up important spots and not making appropriate use of them, then perhaps it is worth politely talking to them about your expectations. For example, I run a Hunger Games site, now if someone has taken up an important victor slot, but refuses to thread with the tributes of that district - that would soon become an issue. 

I think if you want to encourage them to approach new people that's fine, but do so politely with little expectation :) 

• I read this! 2

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord

I'm on the fence about it but I can understand both sides of this. On one hand, I don't really care, they are active and we're a sandbox rp and you don't have to plot with everyone. On the flipside though, if you have a very popular canon then yes, I'm going to expect you to branch out as there will be members that really want to rp with them.

• I read this! 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

As someone who battles with self esteem issues and anxiety on a daily basis, I can understand the need to keep the people you write with at a small, manageable number. I'm admin of my site, so I try hard to branch out and make myself approachable and open to writing with everyone but I still have my smaller group of friends that I write with more often. I don't like to think that makes me cliquey. I'm just more comfortable with small numbers of people to talk to/deal with at once. the more popular members of my site I can find a little daunting and being such a shy person I have trouble approaching such people to say "hey, we should plot!".

As others have said, if it's not bothering people and they're happy, not breaking rules etc then there's really no problem. RP is all about having fun <3

• I read this! 2
Find me on my sites!
The Next Incantation :: The Last Island

There is a BIG difference between a small group of people and struggling to branch out and one person and excluding people who it makes sense and is simple to write with. Definitely depends on the situation.

• I read this! 2

It's frustrating because I often want to rp with them, too! But, in the end, you can't control who people write with and if it isn't having an impact on the board, there's really no reason to bring it up. 

That said, what's stopping you from approaching them and asking if they want to do a post with you?

• I read this! 5

It can be draining if this player only wants to play with a particular admin or only admins. Or they are tunnel focused on one character and ignore all the others; then add points if they then gripe they have no plots when said admin or character is busy and it's obvious they've ignored all other plot offers they've received.

• I read this! 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

Dang, this would really bother me.  What's the point in joining a group writing board if you're not going to . . . write with the group?  I know that sometimes people try to avoid one or two other writers because of past history or differing writing styles, but to avoid literally every other member but one?  That's a bit extreme, and I would not be comfortable if the person didn't start to branch out and write with others.

To me, it says that this person finds the rest of us writers to be not worth their time, or that the writer believes us to be inferior writers.  Doesn't matter how many excuses the person gives to try to assure us otherwise, I'd still feel crummy if a member outright refused to RP with myself and others.  I'd want them to go find a different site to RP on where they're actually comfortable writing with people because I find the whole "I only write with one other person" thing hostile.

I get the anxiety side of things, and I understand that people may need to move at their own pace to branch out and RP with others.  But, see, the thing that's different is that the person should eventually be RPing with other people as they slowly expand their comfort zone.  If that comfort zone isn't expanded, or if the person doesn't make an effort to play with others, then I find that disrespectful.

There are communities that are so large where this wouldn't be a problem, or like somebody mentioned, communities that cater to one-on-one or small-group roleplays.  That would probably be better suited for someone who doesn't want to RP with more than one or two people.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png