How accurate do you like your RP?

Kit the Human

In building my new forum, I'm going back and forth a little about how historically accurate I want it to be. Or probably more accurately, how much I want to romanticise the Age of Sail. 😅 

See, personally, I'm not particularly interested in writing how gross and malnourished everyone is. Nor am I particularly interested in getting into all the different -isms that were prevalent at the time. At the same time....I don't want to lose sight of how difficult it was to carve out a good life for yourself. Or how brutally dangerous it was on a ship -- even day to day life!

So the long and short of it: Whether as an admin or as a member, how accurate do you prefer your historical roleplay? How do you communicate that preference?

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

For me, I want it at as close as possible to real as we can get, but not enough that there is not room for wiggles. I mean just because it isn't in a book somewhere doesn't mean it didn't happen. I had a Shoalin monk make his way to America long before the first recorded visit of China to the New World was placed, but is he going to whip his iphone out? No.

So that sort of thing does it for me.

• I read this! 3

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• 1 month later...

I prefer it as accurate as possible, but it means more without anachronisms. Writer's licence exists in the name of the story fluency sometimes. However, too many concessions and the historical fiction becomes historical fantasy. It's a narrow line to walk.

• I read this! 2

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer it to be generally accurate. Although when I play a female character, I don't particularly want to rp out a lot of dead babies or issues with childbirth, etc. That being said, I also don't want to see mobile phones coming out during history either as others have said. 

• I read this! 3

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png