Threads in the Past

Kit the Human

As a member: I'll go with whatever method the admin wants/the forum uses. 

As a staff: I adapt it depending on the site but I don't think it through and go with the flow. For my SW RP, we have a "Prequels" (lol) board which is everything set before the current IC year. SW timelines can be so chaotic, it needs that organisation. I write bits of my characters' pasts but I also use it to write other characters that don't exist in the current timeline anymore. For example, I have an account for someone's wife/mother who died over twenty plus years ago, so she posts regularly in threads in the Prequels board but nowhere else.

But my other site which is set over different years/time periods and different generations so there's no past boards there. Since you've got boards for different timelines, it'd be redundant to have a past board.

Edited by Kullervo

I LOVE past threads. Can't get enough of them. It really helps build my character arch and demonstrate character growth. If your character changed enough over time it's almost like you get to play two totally different characters. It also allows you to ship more than once with one character! I know some people will only ship finals, but screw that I say! People move in and out of each others lives, relationships develop and change. It's the best... I could go on, but I'll reign it in.

As for HOW I do it.... as an admin I have a "the past" forum but I don't necessarily think it's necessary. The world would not implode if you just kept them in their location designated boards. As a member I date everything down to the day if not in the thread, in my tracker. 

• I read this! 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

2ibnwye.jpg

Sometimes I do a little both. I'll reference the thread in my current post in italics or I'll post the whole thread as a sort of IC extrea. Memories of the past sort of thing.

Like on the forum we're writing on now a lot of canon things happened on our last and frankly it isn't fair to just have people assume things happened. So we'll post the whole thread here on our current or link the past forum. Whatever is easier at the moment.

• I read this! 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

My site just has a seperate forum for threads that take place in either the past of the future.  I did that because it was the way I saw done most commonly.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I was talking to a friend who prefers them folded into the regular location forums because it helped her picture the location in a way. (I usually have unique forum images for each location.)

So I think I might just do that again rather than create another forum. I also prefer to limit how many forums, just to avoid that empty feeling.

I think that a mixture of tags and thread descriptions can make it obvious as to when the thread takes place?

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png