How do you find new staff?

Rune

When do you go about looking for additions to your team? How do you go about finding someone to promote? Do you have applications or just approach people blindly? 

Do you hire from off forum? Have you had any particularly successful methods? 

As always, horror stories are appreciated!

(Trying to get back into the swing of regular discussion posts!)

With an established game, I try to promote from within the existing player base because they're already invested in the game, and I already have an idea on the important things: how well they communicate within the group, how well I like their personality (because I'll be talking to staff A LOT, so I better like them), and how mindful of existing lore and rules are they. And I won't make a fuss about opening applications, I'll just directly approach the person/people I'm interested in promoting.

If I'm starting a new game, I tend to approach people I already know and like, who share an interest with me on the fandom/genre the game is going to be. I like it better when it's someone I've already done some RP with in the past, so I have an idea of how they are, but I tend to be a lot more flexible about who I'll consider when starting a game because the people who start a game establish the tone, so I have less need to worry about matching an existing tone.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I too prefer to work within the existing player base. I tend to look for members who have already been involved in the community, who are already helping out in volunteer capacities, and who showcase skills that are needed on the team, whether it be coding, graphics, advertising, game development, being active at times that fill in holes in other staff availability, or other facets of site needs. It an extra perk to me if they have not been asking to be staff in any way, because I can be sure that they are on the site for its own merit first, and have seen how they interact with the current player base.

for new roleplays, or low member bases, not many staff are needed. If you can find one or two other players who are excited about the game you are pioneering, who you get along well with, and who have skills which cover your own shortcomings, a site can thrive off that for a while without a hitch.

I have tried both from the player base and with ads on the resource sites. It simply depended what I was looking for. If I was looking for a moderator to help me with plotting, research, writing the newsletter and the NPCs, then I'd be searching inside the community. If I was looking for a co-administrator for the graphics and coding part, which I can't do, I searched on the resource sites, because nobody in my group knew those. 

Both from outside or from inside, it is still a leap of luck. You can find flakers who like the title more than what they actually have to do, or people who actually work well with you. My former co-administrator was found on RPG-D, and I worked with her for 3 years. I tried other people afterwards, who flaked.

• I read this! 1

I have done a little bit of both. I have had people who have come from friendships or just players that I've sat back and watched interact with people. When I was building my first forum I knew exactly who I wanted to do it, even though I had a few people that were showing signs of interest.

I've had some pretty great people all along and the ones that may not have been the best fit or went off and did their own thing, I've never felt like it was a regret. I learned a lot!

I have said this before too, that I think no matter who you have or who you hire in, stranger or friend, if you have a good and solid grasp on the community and the board. I've for sure noticed this second time around as admin that I'm not as stressed or drowning in tasks. The board runs itself, admin are really there to act as spirit lifters and plot mongers.

So...if you are feeling you need to expand your staff, take a chance! Take a wild card, I made some of my closest friends that way!

• Preach it! 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I operate like Death Kitten and for the same reason. I want my staff members to be as committed and enthusiastic as me and one of the best ways to gauge that is to see how they operate as a member.

Though I see the benefit in bringing someone outside of the community in - a fresh set of eyes! (Assuming they're not shy about expressing their opinion.)

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

In my experience, I've always looked to those folks who are already part of the group. It's not that I don't think you can find good help from the outside — I've been outside help brought in before and have brought people in myself to my groups — however I want people who love the place as much as I do. People who know the ins and outs, understand the memberbase, and who want to see it continue to develop for the positive. The current group I help staff, our two beautiful mods are great people who were members when we moved them into their respective positions. Their love of the place was equal to our own, and they were always so helpful, and we were happy they were willing to join our lovely staff team.

I try to promote in-house first - normally I first assess whether or not I know somebody would be a good fit, and if I have somebody in mind, I PM them asking if they would like to take on the staff role. If I can't think of a single person, or know multiple that would fit, I post a staff application and let people volunteer. Then if nobody fits/wants the spot, then I try outside. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We hire from within, opening applications to people usually with a certain few already in mind due to their activity and drive.

Owner Of Convergence Wars

Are you an RP Site Admin? Add me on Discord to learn about RP Community Watch, a server full of RP Admins who chill, exchange tips, and share a watchlist of dangerous members.
Discord Name: SYRE#0420