Thread Lurking

CovertSphinx

Do you like to read the threads of other members, ones that none of your characters are apart of?  Or do you like to stick to your own threads and not wander off into the writing depths of the unknown. And why. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I do both. I mean, I see an interesting thread title and I'm like "oooh what's that about *spy spy spy*". But then other times I'm overwhelmed by my own stuff and cannot muster the gumption. And sometimes, it's kind of awful to say, but I know people are going to be writing novels and I am just not... interested enough to get through them. Well, interested. Invested, I suppose. Because I LOVE hearing the cliff's notes about what's going on in other characters' RP! I just don't always want to sit down and read it. 

I admit though that the thought that people might be reading my threads is a little scary. It's a large part of why I don't write much smut anymore. People are reading my smut and judging it. 😧 Which is terrifying. 

• Love 1
  • LOL 1

I don't read a lot of other people's stuff.  I'm kind of a poor reader, so I don't read well to begin with.  Reading other people's stuff doesn't interest me unless there's something exciting going on.  But I like to skim things over if I can because, I don't know. . . . I guess it seems respectful to read your peers' work.

• Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png

I love everyone’s threads! I’m nosy and need to know what’s happening. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I habitually sit on the recent posts or topics list, whichever one I can get on the software I'm on. ... just because, really. It helps getting my foot in the door on new sites, and with plotting just in general, because sometimes there's a thing going on somewhere one of my characters can be involved in that I'd be unaware of if I wasn't reading stuff. Or a character they'd really get on with that didn't seem to be quite so grand a potential pal on the first six read-overs of their app/bio/whatever, because apps and bios are only so useful for getting a feel for a character anyway. Idk, maybe that's me being weird, but here I am. lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• Admin

I actually don't. I have a busy job, bust hobby life (The Initiative doesn't run itself you see) and reading other peoples threads reminds me of watching TV shows that have a weekly release instead of all at once. Episodic and difficult to keep up with.

Sometimes, if someone gets me interested or I'm interested in the plot or I'm interested in how a plot affects my character I'll go binge read a thread or two. Otherwise I stick to just reading my own threads.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I do if I like the writers.

• Agree 4

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Our story is a coherent one. If we don't read each other's threads, we might not know how/ where to connect our stories, and this would generate inconsistencies.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

It depends for me. I don't have loads of time to read everyone's threads, but if they involve characters whose stories I'm invested in, I at least skim and read properly when I have the time. Related to this, we have a system on my forum where mission threads can add an element of chance by "asking" staff or members to "answer" in response to their characters actions. That's an overly simplified explanation of the system, but my point is mostly that lets me read threads other than my own that I wouldn't even look at twice normally. I've found some really entertaining threads that way.

• Like 2

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

I try to read everyone's scenes. We tell our stories in a linear, mostly chronological order so reading scenes moves us to the next timeframe and all of that. To make it easier for those that have less time, we mark episode plot scenes with an [EP] at the beginning of the title. That tells our members that that scene is story significant. 

One of the reasons I love roleplaying is for the writing and social outlet. Reading everyone else's stories helps me decide which characters mine might connect with and how.

Okay, so I won't read the pure romance scenes because...usually....boring. 😉

• Love 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I read eeeeeverything. I'm actually a little sad (in a weird way) that my site has grown to the size that I can't read everything and know what is happening. But I'm an obsessive kinda person. When I like something, I wanna know eeeeeverything about it. I find that, if I know what is happening with other characters I can work on plots that could include them in some way or amp up their drama. So long as it stays realistic and doesn't stray into the territory of too "coincidental" I think that this is good roleplaying... But that's just me 😄

• Agree 2

If I am really into a writer, I will browse their stuff. Or if I'm interested in a character- even if they can't realistically connect with any of mine. Mostly I stick to reading (and sometimes rereading a half dozen times) my own threads. But I do make an effort to skim through threads involving characters that are close to mine. I like to see how their characters perceive mine, and to make sure there's no accidental metagaming going on. I write solo scenes and do a lot of chat plotting, maybe some crackshipping in discord. lol. So it can get confusing for other writers that want to mention mine in their posts. 

Edited by Jones
  • Like 2

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I continuously flip-flop. Mainly due to time constraints I don't really get to go poking around other people's threads as much as I'd like. Usually I like to get synopsis' or peruse when I have the time, but that's because I normally use what's going on in other character's lives to tie threads with the bigger plots going on. And weasel IC connections around. When I hear that something super exciting (or important) is going on, I force myself to keep tabs on the thread though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I love to read what others post. Getting to read the shenanigans in other threads is honestly more fun than actually posting for me sometimes. You'll never get the exact same interaction between your character vs someone else's character, and getting to see how someone else's character reacts to another can be so, so entertaining.

Also I just love to read and I'll happily take good rp material if I can't have new books.

• Like 1

I love stalking  reading other people's threads. I tend to sit in the 'Last Click'/'Online List' and refresh, so if I see multiple people reading a thread, I tend to follow suit just to see what the buzz is about. It helps me get a feel for the other writers on the site, and see who I'd like to write with in turn. I don't actually read a lot of books nowadays, so threads give me life. Especially since our site is a fandom-based one, I tend to find myself thinking sometimes that our writers are better than the books' author! It is a wonderful feeling. 

• Like 1