The Big Question: Getting Members/Activity

Nerissa

So, obviously, you always start small, and after moves and big changes you can expect things to be a bit slow. However, I have noticed a weird pattern in people looking for forums. They don't want to join a small forum that's slowly growing, because they want immediate booming activity. But, how does a forum create that "booming activity" when people refuse to join and help them grow? We have advertised like crazy, affiliated like crazy, and we are still finding that people will browse the forum as guests, but never commit to joining. Those that do join, leave because they don't want to actually put in the work of being part of a growing community. We just did a huge move from Proboards to jcink, so of course, slow periods are to be expected. But my staff and I are pulling out at all the stops to do our best with keeping activity up, creating new threads, events, and perks of joining, but it seems to not be working. Are people not into multi-genre roleplay forums anymore? Is it more now that people want something super specific? My thoughts on creating a multi-genre, open world roleplay forum were to give people the chance to do ANY genre and ANY kind of roleplay they wanted. But, we can't show these potential members activity, when no one even bothers joining to try it out. Everyone has lives outside the forum, so we can't expect the couple active members we have to put the forum above their real lives because that's just ridiculous. So, how do we become an "attractive" forum, to entice people to ACTUALLY register instead of just viewing as guests?

Any advice would be awesome. Thank you so much! ^^ ❤️

• Preach it! 2

I certainly hope folks are interesting in multi-genre cause I am in the middle of making one!  Honestly, I have no idea, it's something I think more than a few communities have struggles with. I know in the past, any changes I tried to bring forth to a certain place I was admin of, was shot down by the members (it was democratic) and they kept telling me I was wrong that potential members/players didn't want things like I see everyday in the jcink world...but that's not the point, I digress. 

Activity is one things I've heard. Good navigation... um... and now I'm going blank! Sorry!

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

In general I would say, if you can't offer activity, then you must offer plans and ideas. Yes, maybe we don't have so many members yet, but we have this cool thing you cannot play elsewhere. If you offer a unique setting, or an interesting twist on a popular one, people could join even though you're small, because what you have is what they were looking for.

Being multi-genre does not help, however, since you're not offering anything specific, and people willing to bring their own ideas , on the other hand, would be probably looking for a community ready to grab. 

I think you should find what should be the main "appeal" of your board: it could be some technical feature, a gaming system, an overarching setting that allows for any crossover but has some charm on its own, some service you provide in terms of, say, art, networking, or the fact you would play all the NPCs they could need. You mention threads and events: are them just generic excuses to plot, or something more unique? Generic events are great when you already have a theme and just need an excuse to meet people, but if you want to get attention you need something catchy.

Really, anything that makes you more than an open space where people are free to do anything, but have no compelling reason to do it at yours instead of anywhere else. I am not sure how much all this applies to your board, but I hope it helps anyway.

• Agree 2

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

25 minutes ago, Blondie said:

I certainly hope folks are interesting in multi-genre cause I am in the middle of making one!  Honestly, I have no idea, it's something I think more than a few communities have struggles with. I know in the past, any changes I tried to bring forth to a certain place I was admin of, was shot down by the members (it was democratic) and they kept telling me I was wrong that potential members/players didn't want things like I see everyday in the jcink world...but that's not the point, I digress. 

Activity is one things I've heard. Good navigation... um... and now I'm going blank! Sorry!

Oh, thank you! When you make one, we will have to affiliate! And yeah, it's hard to get started, just seems like people are pickier now. If you love anime, maybe you should join ours? 😄 Since you are doing a multi-genre anyways! You would be more than welcome. ^^

11 minutes ago, featherstone said:

In general I would say, if you can't offer activity, then you must offer plans and ideas. Yes, maybe we don't have so many members yet, but we have this cool thing you cannot play elsewhere. If you offer a unique setting, or an interesting twist on a popular one, people could join even though you're small, because what you have is what they were looking for.

Being multi-genre does not help, however, since you're not offering anything specific, and people willing to bring their own ideas , on the other hand, would be probably looking for a community ready to grab. 

I think you should find what should be the main "appeal" of your board: it could be some technical feature, a gaming system, an overarching setting that allows for any crossover but has some charm on its own, some service you provide in terms of, say, art, networking, or the fact you would play all the NPCs they could need. You mention threads and events: are them just generic excuses to plot, or something more unique? Generic events are great when you already have a theme and just need an excuse to meet people, but if you want to get attention you need something catchy.

Really, anything that makes you more than an open space where people are free to do anything, but have no compelling reason to do it at yours instead of anywhere else. I am not sure how much all this applies to your board, but I hope it helps anyway.

We do offer catchy events, and unique perks we have not seen anywhere else, but things have been slow to start due to people leaving or being inactive. But, thank you regardless! I guess it will just take more time since multi-genre is not as popular. 

Couple of things to address I think:

-  "I have noticed a weird pattern in people looking for forums. They don't want to join a small forum that's slowly growing, because they want immediate booming activity." We have a thread somewhere, I'm trying to find it for you to read, that suggests that the RP community is full of individuals who prefer to join small and growing forums over large and already established one's. Some of them like it because they like to help nurture a site. Others because they just prefer a smaller crowd. You shouldn't despair about being smaller.

- "people will browse the forum as guests, but never commit to joining" There's a solid chance that those guests you're stressing about? Are actually bots or spiders. The bulk of your guest population is probably made up by drive by admins dropping their ads and bots. Not people who are genuinely checking out your forum with an interest in joining. I wouldn't stress about them.

-"Those that do join, leave because they don't want to actually put in the work of being part of a growing community." Did they tell you that or is that an assumption you made? It might be more productive to more thoroughly interrogate why you're struggling to get people to stick with it.

I think that multigenre RPs are hard to get into because you have all of the choice. And personally, I would be wary about joining one because I might not find people who are interested in the same thing as me. I would echo what Featherstone says, focus on what your hook is. What do you mean by "catchy events" and "unique perks"? I'm not sure what that actually means to you!

Other generic tips:

- Check your forum on your phone. People do use their devices to RP and may pass you over if it's tricky to use. You don't want to lose someone solely because of that!

- Stick your site in your signature. When you post in these sites, you're essentially advertising yourself and thus your site.

- Are your docs easy to read? Is it easy to work out how to get into the action? 

- Are you moving too quickly? A shitton of events might not be the way to go, partly because of burn out. Let the events breathe and have their own space!

- You can always ask for a review as well.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

40 minutes ago, Kit the Human said:

Couple of things to address I think:

-  "I have noticed a weird pattern in people looking for forums. They don't want to join a small forum that's slowly growing, because they want immediate booming activity." We have a thread somewhere, I'm trying to find it for you to read, that suggests that the RP community is full of individuals who prefer to join small and growing forums over large and already established one's. Some of them like it because they like to help nurture a site. Others because they just prefer a smaller crowd. You shouldn't despair about being smaller.

- "people will browse the forum as guests, but never commit to joining" There's a solid chance that those guests you're stressing about? Are actually bots or spiders. The bulk of your guest population is probably made up by drive by admins dropping their ads and bots. Not people who are genuinely checking out your forum with an interest in joining. I wouldn't stress about them.

-"Those that do join, leave because they don't want to actually put in the work of being part of a growing community." Did they tell you that or is that an assumption you made? It might be more productive to more thoroughly interrogate why you're struggling to get people to stick with it.

I think that multigenre RPs are hard to get into because you have all of the choice. And personally, I would be wary about joining one because I might not find people who are interested in the same thing as me. I would echo what Featherstone says, focus on what your hook is. What do you mean by "catchy events" and "unique perks"? I'm not sure what that actually means to you!

Other generic tips:

- Check your forum on your phone. People do use their devices to RP and may pass you over if it's tricky to use. You don't want to lose someone solely because of that!

- Stick your site in your signature. When you post in these sites, you're essentially advertising yourself and thus your site.

- Are your docs easy to read? Is it easy to work out how to get into the action? 

- Are you moving too quickly? A shitton of events might not be the way to go, partly because of burn out. Let the events breathe and have their own space!

- You can always ask for a review as well.

Ahhh, thank you so much! I just want it to be successful, but you're definitely right. 🙂 I think our hook is that it's completely writer freedom and creativity on what you create. All we really do "theme" wise is using anime face claims to kinda go with the anime theme of the site. Some of them said they didn't wanna put in the work, yes. (Work being posting a minimum of once a week...) so I guess them leaving wasn't a huge loss. The events are sometimes centered around our forum, but there are some general ones as well to get people writing and making characters! I would love to get a review, but isn't that a monthly payment? Or did I read wrong? 😮

Thank you so much! ❤️

If you who are there are playing because you enjoy it, a long as you are writing something, and show the passion you have for it, then at least you are keeping a staple of activity between those who are there. Don't try to force things. Guests will be able to see that there are recent threads and things going on, and often have a bit of a 'spider sense' to know whether the activity stems from passion, or desperation. Don't create events that rely on new faces coming in. Create events that you and your current member base can be passionate about in the now. If you and yours aren't biting, guests will even notice that.

I've found sites that are free-rp or multi-genre hard to get into because I've never had any way to connect my stories or create a lasting plot in such settings. Freedom is important, but it can't be the only thing. Ideas create ideas, so having a base, theme, prompts or challenges, or even a site-plot can help provide that little extra to differentiate yours from other multi-genre or anime-style rps. 

Most sites will always get more guests then they will joiners. Some of those guests are going to be bots, or search engines picking up on your site so don't be discouraged about the number you get. Continue advertising. Bump your ads on the directories when the rules say they allow. Talk about your site to friends, and even on other sites if they allow, but most importantly, enjoy what you are doing and relax. Sites 'struggle' when the focus is on getting people and popularity. Sites 'thrive' as long as even two or three members are focused on making their stories and having fun.

• Preach it! 3

2 minutes ago, Kazetatsu said:

If you who are there are playing because you enjoy it, a long as you are writing something, and show the passion you have for it, then at least you are keeping a staple of activity between those who are there. Don't try to force things. Guests will be able to see that there are recent threads and things going on, and often have a bit of a 'spider sense' to know whether the activity stems from passion, or desperation. Don't create events that rely on new faces coming in. Create events that you and your current member base can be passionate about in the now. If you and yours aren't biting, guests will even notice that.

I've found sites that are free-rp or multi-genre hard to get into because I've never had any way to connect my stories or create a lasting plot in such settings. Freedom is important, but it can't be the only thing. Ideas create ideas, so having a base, theme, prompts or challenges, or even a site-plot can help provide that little extra to differentiate yours from other multi-genre or anime-style rps. 

Most sites will always get more guests then they will joiners. Some of those guests are going to be bots, or search engines picking up on your site so don't be discouraged about the number you get. Continue advertising. Bump your ads on the directories when the rules say they allow. Talk about your site to friends, and even on other sites if they allow, but most importantly, enjoy what you are doing and relax. Sites 'struggle' when the focus is on getting people and popularity. Sites 'thrive' as long as even two or three members are focused on making their stories and having fun.

You are absolutely right. I was just getting bummed out. We do have advertising events, but hold fun ones between members as well! We do love our little family and have fun together. We just hope that it will grow eventually. Thank you so much. ❤️

• Admin

There are a lot of opinions, already posted here, about word counts, activity requirements. If that is the culture you want then that is what you are going to get but you will get a lot of flakes with such stringent activity requirements. I'm a person that posts when I have posts and time. If I don't have posts I don't post. Don't have time, I don't post. I feel punished by sites that don't understand that and require that I post regardless of these issues.

It feels like a punitive community instead of a rewarding community. Therefore it feels like a job instead of a hobby.

I advocate a "you do you" but forcing a post count per week isn't going to get you more posts. It is going to earn you more flakes. It's especially true where one can bounce around and has no real 'specific' plot to follow except their heart.

I'm going to be real, you sound like you are over exerting yourself, your staff and your members.

You have to pace yourself. If you have 10 members (we'll say) what are things that they can cumulatively get in on? On a multi-genre/panfandom site I'm assuming that it's probably going to be posting related "Top posters" etc. Advertising events? BS. Advertising is literally my least favorite thing to do in RPing. I personally gave up on advertising forums about 5 years ago because I found out they were trash for SEO and they are hit and miss to get legitimate members.

Activity and success is actually relative to you and your memberbase. I think this article really helps explain that:

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

-sigh- I feel like I try so hard but I'm just doing everything backwards or not in a great way. I don't try to stress people out. The once a week thing is to just make sure that people aren't inactive and leaving threads dead. I thought that was a pretty lenient rule, as some forums I have been on were WAYYYY stricter than I could ever hope to be. 

I do understand and appreciate all the feedback. I just feel bad that it seems that I am not doing as well as I had hoped. 😞

I prefer an accountability rule to an activity one, That players communicate with their thread partners as to posting pace, and if they have to delay longer than a 'reasonable time'. Players can also check in with their partners and find out if something is the matter if there is an unusual delay.

Don't stress too much. staffing is a learning process in figuring out which standards are 'reasonable' to players, while maintaining the vision of the site and many more matters. we've all made mistakes, or changed site standards over time as we figure out what works best for the projects we have created.

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Kazetatsu said:

I prefer an accountability rule to an activity one, That players communicate with their thread partners as to posting pace, and if they have to delay longer than a 'reasonable time'. Players can also check in with their partners and find out if something is the matter if there is an unusual delay.

Don't stress too much. staffing is a learning process in figuring out which standards are 'reasonable' to players, while maintaining the vision of the site and many more matters. we've all made mistakes, or changed site standards over time as we figure out what works best for the projects we have created.

Thank you so much. ^^ Yeah, we have a rule that communication is key, and the only time someone is removed for inactivity, is if they haven't communicated at ALL with their partners or staff on what's going on. If they just poof and never log in or post in going away, then it's just like kinda ghosting and we want to avoid that. But, that is a really good point to drive home, especially if we remove the one post a week rule. 

I decided to work with my staff team and we are gonna do a mini-revamp of the site contents, skin and banner/background art. Then see if we have more success then with all the advice given here and other places I have posted. 

Thank you all so very much. I truly appreciate it. ❤️

Not sure if you’re still looking for advice, but I’m going to give you what I have anyhow:

Be satisfied in the number of members you currently have.  Even if it’s only 1 person, be happy that you have that person.  It sounds a little weird because I’m sure you, like most administrators, want to grow the board and have lots and lots of people, but if you start focusing on how you should have ten members but you only have one, you’re going to push off giving that one person the best experience you can give because it isn’t good enough to only have that person.

Sometimes it’s good to hold off on events and the like until you have more people, but sometimes we also overlook the nice things we have in hopes of having something better.  I’ve fallen into this trap many, many times.  Talk with the folks you have—whether they be staff or regular members—and see what they want out of this quiet period.  Maybe you can offer a smaller, more intimate plot that you wouldn’t be able to provide normally because there are usually tons of people.  (In addition to something bigger that will draw in more people.)

One thing I’ll note about multigenre boards is that sometimes the setting is too spread out, and the characters cannot reasonably move between worlds or cities or whatever to interact with other characters.  (Actually, I see this on non-multigenre sites as well.)  Make sure that your setting isn’t too big; make sure that there is reason that characters of all shapes and sizes can interact without coming up with reasons that borderline break character.

And finally, make sure to consider your board host.  You just moved, so keep in mind that the Jcink community is slightly different than the PB community.  You don’t have to change your site to make into something you don’t want, but glance around at other Jcink sites and see if there is anything that appeals to you that wasn’t typical to the PB community.

• Agree 2
  • Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

24 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

Not sure if you’re still looking for advice, but I’m going to give you what I have anyhow:

Be satisfied in the number of members you currently have.  Even if it’s only 1 person, be happy that you have that person.  It sounds a little weird because I’m sure you, like most administrators, want to grow the board and have lots and lots of people, but if you start focusing on how you should have ten members but you only have one, you’re going to push off giving that one person the best experience you can give because it isn’t good enough to only have that person.

Sometimes it’s good to hold off on events and the like until you have more people, but sometimes we also overlook the nice things we have in hopes of having something better.  I’ve fallen into this trap many, many times.  Talk with the folks you have—whether they be staff or regular members—and see what they want out of this quiet period.  Maybe you can offer a smaller, more intimate plot that you wouldn’t be able to provide normally because there are usually tons of people.  (In addition to something bigger that will draw in more people.)

One thing I’ll note about multigenre boards is that sometimes the setting is too spread out, and the characters cannot reasonably move between worlds or cities or whatever to interact with other characters.  (Actually, I see this on non-multigenre sites as well.)  Make sure that your setting isn’t too big; make sure that there is reason that characters of all shapes and sizes can interact without coming up with reasons that borderline break character.

And finally, make sure to consider your board host.  You just moved, so keep in mind that the Jcink community is slightly different than the PB community.  You don’t have to change your site to make into something you don’t want, but glance around at other Jcink sites and see if there is anything that appeals to you that wasn’t typical to the PB community.

This was wonderful advice, thank you so much! 😄 

So, would saying that the forum is open-world, panfandom/multi-genre still be alright? But if under that we maybe mentioned (or on the new skin when we receive it) that it's a more of an "anime fantasy/real life roleplay forum", would that help give it more of a plot/narrowing it down to a sort of setting that is more direct but still offering freedom in creativity and different worlds, etc etc? Would that be helpful for us, in your guys' opinions? 

I hope that made sense. I am taking notes on all of this! ❤️

• Admin
8 hours ago, AriettaMelody said:

-sigh- I feel like I try so hard but I'm just doing everything backwards or not in a great way.

You aren't. If that's how you want to run the site, is that how you like to run your site then that's how you run your site. Everyone here is going to have their own opinion on how to run a site but in the end of the day, it's your site, run it the way you want to run it we're not the ones putting in the work.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.